“My new ADK Favorite!”

Ranked #2 of 8 Chestertown B&B and Inns
Buffalo, New York
“My new ADK Favorite!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This place is the closest thing to perfect I have ever found in Upstate NY.

1. Each room is distinctive, mine was quiet and comfortable, and I recommend getting one with steam shower and/or hot tub. (If you need a TV let them know in advance some rooms have some do not).
2. Cross-country skiing and snow shoe trails have something for all skill levels.
3. Food is five-star and so is the service that comes with it.
4. Overall service is attentive, friendly, and I think psychic I felt like they were one step ahead of me all the time.
5. Wine selection is amazing (go downstairs and check out wine room and store) great selections very reasonably priced.
6. Nice wine bar and wide selection of other libations.

Other things; close to Gore Mountain, 30 min or less to Lake George, 45 minutes to Lake Placid.

Can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank fourbirds_11

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Morrisonville, NY
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at Friends Lake Inn a number of times and consider it one of our favorite places in the Adirondacks. This year we decided to stay for my birthday and took a scenic ride in a helicopter. The staff was friendly and most gracious. My husband had some dietary issues and each meal was served with those considerations in mind.Each meal was wonderful complemented by the wait staff and wonderful surroundings. Our room was comfortable and had all the amenities we wanted: wonderful view, a comfortable bed, sitting area, and lovely bathroom with a steam shower and jacuzzi. They also have impressive wine cellar and wine selection.The staff is knowledgeable about wines help helps you select just the right one for your meal. We'll be back that's for sure!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mary V
Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My family and I have eaten here regularly since 1985. We love this place and it continues to please so many years later! Not far from Gore mountain and near all of the amazing hiking and lake fun of the Adirondacks. The crepe with lobster and scallops with a buerre blanc sauce is one of my favorite apps anywhere in the world! Just love it. The wine list is most definitely the best in upstate NY. A binder of pages and pages of the best wines in the world. This place is just the best!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank SiriusSkier23
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We just enjoyed a wine dinner - Duck Horn Wines - at the Inn and were very happy with the presentation, the wine and the food. Wonderful meal all in all. We stayed in one of the top floor rooms and loved it. We usually pick one of the Adirondack rooms with fireplace and porch - but those were unavailable. The whole experience at the Inn is super. ENJOY !!

Room Tip: They have a number of room types with various amenities. NOTE - It's a great run away without T...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PeteB62
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I am having some difficulty understanding all of the positive ratings that people are giving this Inn, unless they are relatives the owners or something or they were promised something in exchange for their silence-

Let me tell you the real deal with this Inn:

This is one of those places that is in serious need of a redux and it is clear that the owners have been doing this for too long and should be out of this hospitality business once and for all.

It all started with the deceptive website which shows very little of the Inn and especially the rooms.
Best rule of thumb-if the website does not clearly show numerous glossy pictures of rooms and bathrooms-then be wary. I was indeed wary when making the reservations, however, it was last minute and was running out of New Years options. It was important for us to be in this neck o the woods this particular weekend. I was travelling with my wife and 9 year old daughter. We are seasoned NY travelers-never to this area however.
When first driving up to the Inn, I had felt that I had made a mistake, but was stuck. New Years weekend in the adirondecks and desirous of a working fireplace that was modern and spiffy was difficult to come by as I had made numerous inquiries-The setting was charming as we drove through-much snow and quite cold. The Inn is "near" the lake-NOT on the lake. One can see it in the distance. There is a silly little pond in the back near the uninviting sauna that they highly taut.
The entrance was outdated and gloomy and not welcoming. One walks thru a mock gift shop (with well priced cute things by the way) into the lobby. It is confusing whom to speak with as the maitrede from the restaurant as standing at a podium prior to the front desk, so you do not know whom first to approach. The gal is seated low behind the desk, and is indeed friendly and offered to show us around and acquaint with the Inn. I am actually tired from the trip and opt against that. No fault of theirs. She takes me up a gloomy staircase with dark brown old carpet past motel feeling numerous doors thru a myriad of corridors and finally to the room. the room was known as Fieldstone. The room is cute if you are perhaps single travelling alone and don't wish to spend much. It was however not in our opinion worth $500 for a 10X15 room. The room was cute as I say, decorated in Adirondeck style furnishings and snow shoes on the wall and such, but it was quite small and depressing. The comforter looks like it was about 20 years old, and I was immediately thinking MITES. It did have a nice fireplace with a good deal of chopped dry wood which burned nicely and added to the ambiance. There is a large porch with two little nothing chairs outside looking out to not all that much. As I said there is a silly little pond out back. This unit has its own private entrance which is a god send as you would not want to walk through the Inn-this way you can come and go as you please-which we did-The porch has steep stairs and it is quite slippery in the cold weather-so be forewarned as it is an accident waiting to happen.
The owner Trudy is a prune of a woman who has a stone face so any complaint that you may have -be forewarned you would be best served by disputing the bill with your credit card company then challenging her, as you will be greeted with cold faced displeasure (she is in real life a nurse in the emergency room at the local hospital) So you get my drift. COLD is all I can say. She is the type that is happy ONLY if you are dumb and happy. When I complained that there was no television in the room, her response was would I like to see if there were nearby accommodations in an hotel elsewhere!! Nice, right? I really did wish to get into an argument with my family within earshot, so I dropped the matter and we watched movies on our laptop.

BRING YOUR LAPTOP.

So that is the story with the rooms: outdated, old-ish bath, virtually blank walls, with very little artwork around-and cheap bathroom products. No television and little space to move around, AND they have nerve to charge nearly $500 per night-plus they stick you a large surcharge if you have a child travelling with you. (they asked for $80 but I had it cut in half,) they have a silly and old dark "common room" with a few games around and a fridge with bottled beverages-and a gas fireplace for "ambience". Why anyone would ever sit there is beyond me.

On the restaurant: Very good. All in all. busy dining room. WBFPLC. Good service. prompt. Food is imaginative and cooked well. Interesting local selection of hearty meals. Excellent wine list complemented by knowledgeable sommelier fellow that strolls around and recommends wine.
Gets high marks from fussy diners like us.

Breakfast was fine. A bit disjointed with foreign non English speaking staff, but no real issues. There are a couple of vey seasoned gals working there who appear to have worked there for many years and no what they are doing.

Not much in the way of activities-however nice trail in the rear. IMPORTANT NOTE:

They actually charge guests $15.00 each for snow shoes !! This we felt was outrageous as any proper hotel would have them for your use. So that was a little clip joint-ish.

Any way, bottom-line-the Inn may be for sale soon, so hopefully someone with taste will come in an do an overhaul-and then we would consider returning for an over nite stay. The restaurant was exceptionally good for where you were-but after the owners read my review it is unlikely they would allow me to return! LOL. Good luck !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank busier80
tammy f, Owner at Friends Lake Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay. I recently purchased the Inn (June 2014) and have a renovation projected planned for the winter. We will be installing TV's in all of the rooms and King beds where possible. New linens, furnishings and other upgrades are planned. If you would like to come back for a visit please give me a call.
albany new york
Reviewed December 28, 2012

amazing, wonderful, outstanding, excellent i could continue with words like this that is how great friends lake inn is. as i have said last year owners and staff are "top notch". thanks again for making our christmas another great memory. as for one review i saw how much time do you spend in the hall (seconds) we had to turn our heat down THANKS AGAIN everyone at FLI

Room Tip: spend the extra money for the top rooms rated rooms it is worth ever penny
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank honestguy1950
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Just had a wonderful meal with friends!Shared the warm brie with apples, lobster and scallop crepe, elk johnny cake, and a few other dishes. Everything was WONDERFUL! Great wine selection, excellent wait staff, and Chef Matt is amazing!!! Very impressed!!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank KaitMaeW
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chestertown
The Alpine Lodge
#1 of 8 in Chestertown
The Sagamore Resort
The Sagamore Resort
#2 of 8 in Bolton Landing

Been to Friends Lake Inn? Share your experiences!