“Absolutely Stunning”

Ranked #1 of 2 Chester B&B and Inns
Goshen
“Absolutely Stunning”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Went here on the recommendation of a friend for "an amazing night out in an amazing location," and we were amazing, first at the location. Glenmere Mansion is just beautiful, no other words can describe it. The food - also amazing, spectacular dishes presented in a beautiful manner. Sadly, the service was not up to par.

Our waitress, Sarah, was extremely rude, rushed, and at times plain mean. We were able to get passed this as mean people are mean people, nothing you can do about it except let it roll off your shoulders. We really hope Sarah either will be spoken to or just plain fired because as a waitress she is supposed to represent the restaurant and its' values, but she sure did a terrible job at doing that. On our way out we even told the Manager about her, and she said she would do something about it.

But besides that, such an amazing place. Special thanks to Christie (the manager), Alan (the owner and host), Emily (hostess), Ryan (brought us our food), Charles (butler), and Sam (busgirl). Without those people I'm sure that our experience would have been far worse.

Room Tip: We only stayed for dinner, looking into returning to spend a few nights.
3 Thank Goshen C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I recently traveled to Glenmere Mansion in Chester, NY for a weekend away from our small children and our hectic life in NYC. Needless to say, our expectations were surpassed. We arrived rather late but we were amply accommodated by a very friendly staff in the Frogs End Tavern. The casual atmosphere was very comfortable, and the casual menu went way beyond what you would expect in a small hotel tavern. Our room was luxuriously appointed, the marble bathtub with fireplace and television were to die for. The bed was like sinking into a cloud. The next day we went to the spa which was spectacular. The treatments and the staff were super, attending to our every need. Dinner in the Supper Room later that evening was the final jewel in the crown. Apparently there is a new chef and he is a winner. The food was spectacular, comparable to anything we have experienced in NYC. The price is extremely reasonable and worth it at twice the price. As far as the decor in this dining room is concerned, it is nothing short of spectacular. We were able to sit side by side on a banquette looking out into the room, it was so romantic and so European. If that we're not enough we were treated to spectacular afternoons at the pool, where attentive staff met all our needs. We were sorry to leave when our time in paradise was over. We will be repeat guests.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Lurane
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The mansion and grounds are unquestionably beautiful and perfectly manicured, the furnishings and details carefully appointed. A vibe of anxiety runs through the entire staff, though, such that it's difficult to relax in the place. Thankfully, the spa is fantastic.

8 Thank K L
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This place is insanely beautiful. Perfect even. Everything that you would want for a decadent getaway not far from the city. We booked this place on a recommendation by a friend who has never steered us wrong--until now. The staff and service is so awkward and uptight that it's been impossible to enjoy this beautiful place. It's a glorious home that gives the appearance of ease but its necessary to make appts and reservations for everything before you come and the staff kind of strangely jumps on you at every turn. Their intention is great but the execution is very odd. It reminds me of Shanghai a few years back in its period of intense growth: service people upholding a certain 'fine' standard but losing site of the purpose ie making guests comfortable. The staff at Glenmere do not seem happy and to not be happy in such a beautiful place is odd, even if its where you work. One instance last night pushed me to write this, only the second review on tripadvisor that I've ever written. Last night my husband and I had reservations at the fine dining restaurant, The Supper Room. We stepped out for a walk before dinner. We re-entered the front door and the hostess actually ran after us thinking we were not guests of the hotel. She tried to keep her composure but she was virtually wringing her hands when asking us if she could get our names. The owner of the place was at the podium and easily could have fielded us but it was clear that we didn't look like we belonged and she wanted to make sure to deal with us rather than have her boss have to. I should mention that my husband and I don't look like all the other guests here and frankly the way we've been treated is a reflection of their inability or lack of desire to make us feel comfortable. I understand that this isn't a typical review and not many people will understand what I'm saying. But I'm moved to write about it as this has been such a disappointing weekend. And I had hoped we had found a place we could come to whenever we wanted to have a special occasion out of the city. Instead we can't wait to go home :-(

• Stayed July 2013
23 Thank StarNing
new york. ny
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have stayed in this spa twice. The place is beautiful and the spa services are OK depending on who performs the service. The main restaurant has horrible service and OK food. On my second stay, my wife and I had taken the weekend off from our kids to relax. At around 1 AM we were woken up to screams, loud music and obnoxious noises from the occupants of the room adjacent to us. I called the front desk and asked then person who answered to do something about it. The noise and vulgar behavior continued. I called twice again and no one would do anything about this matter. Finally around 3 AM the intoxicated guests next to us fell sleep. My wife and I couldn't fall sleep any more and were very upset that nothing was done by the hotel employees. The next day upon check out, I explained to the receptionist what had happened and asked for some sort of compensation. My 1 night stay at the spa had cost me $1400 and I felt cheated. The receptionist informed me that I need to discuss this matter with the owner, Alan [--]. I waited 30 minutes to meet Alan. I finally got the chance to speak to him and after 30 seconds he cut me off and went on a rant saying he spent $40 million dollars renovating this mansion and that the walls were 2 feet thick and that my wife and I were liars!!! I was shocked to be treated so rudely. I told him that I had never had such an experience in a luxury resort before. He then got angrier and in front of the receptionist and other hotel guests he started yelling at us and telling us to get the "hell" off of his property!!!! I have stayed at the most luxurious resorts in the world and never came upon such a deranged and rude individual.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
44 Thank silver6698
Westchester, New York
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We went to Glenmere Mansion from July 3 to July 6. We left our house in Westchester at 2:10 and arrived at Glenmere by 3:00. We arrived to a gorgeous and newly-renovated Italian villa, where we were greeted by one of several butlers at the hotel and provided with a bellini on the house.

The hotel is relatively small - - I think about 16 or 17 rooms so it feels very private. We had one of the less expensive rooms that overlooked the Italian garden in the back of the house. It was a great room. Spacious with a beautiful bathroom and ample closet and drawer space.

The pool area was serene and beautiful and the pool temperature was perfect (we swam often given the 90 degree temps!) There was also a hot tub, which for obvious reasons, we did not use on this visit!

The grounds were gorgeous and included a bocci court, croquet court and tennis court. Breakfast was included in the price and was delicious! Freshly baked muffins and big, fluffy pancakes or omelettes, as well as oatmeal, greek yogurt parfait and other selections. We never had lunch there, but the dinners were unbelievable. Thursday night, there was a dinner with wine pairing for only $65, which I would highly recommend. The formal dining room is very special, but one night, we sat outside and had a more casual menu.

There a few things to do in town, although for the most part, it was fun to relax at the hotel. One morning, we walked on a hiking trail just down the street from the hotel and then drove into Warwick to do some shopping. One of the proprietors told us about the Warwick Winery so we went there for a wine tasting and lunch. So beautiful there and food was great (wine only so-so but hey, it's NY, not CA!) One day, we rented bikes at Joe Fix It's in Goshen and then biked about 10 miles on a tree-lined paved bike path (shady!!)

One of the best things about the hotel was the spa. I can't say enough about how beautiful the spa was. And the treatments were phenomenal. I did a scalp massage, a facial and then a special Turkish Soap ritual in a very special Wet Spa room that contained a hot belly stone where they poured warm water over you, loofah'ed you and then soaped you up and massaged you. Also included steam room at the beginning and sauna at the end. Very unique and special.

The staff, including the inkeeper, Alan, were so helpful. We chatted with Alan while playing backgammon in the library and he was lovely. And then again, the trip was so short that I left on Saturday at 2:00 and was home getting a manicure by 3:15!!!

Can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4, which had a queen size bed and overlooked the Italian garden. Even though it w...
5 Thank hhenkind
New York
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Going to Glenmere mansion is like taking a step back in time. Built in 1911.

They have a prix fixe menu $85.00 per person. Menu is pretty diverse. If you go get there at least ½ hour early so you can sit on the balcony or walk around the beautiful grounds. Drinks are reasonably priced and a very good wine list. The service was great and the Supper Room is beautifully decorated. This place is also a B & B very upscale cost wise. But you would never know you’re in Chester NY. I never tried the Spa but heard it was excellent, but on the high side cost wise. Well enjoy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
The Thayer Hotel
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
#1 of 2 in Central Valley
Courtyard by Marriott Middletown

Been to Glenmere Mansion? Share your experiences!