“Fantastic Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Chester B&B and Inns
New York
“Fantastic Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Going to Glenmere mansion is like taking a step back in time. Built in 1911.

They have a prix fixe menu $85.00 per person. Menu is pretty diverse. If you go get there at least ½ hour early so you can sit on the balcony or walk around the beautiful grounds. Drinks are reasonably priced and a very good wine list. The service was great and the Supper Room is beautifully decorated. This place is also a B & B very upscale cost wise. But you would never know you’re in Chester NY. I never tried the Spa but heard it was excellent, but on the high side cost wise. Well enjoy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Durham, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I recently conducted a team building session at the Glenmere, and found it to be an incredible experience! The venue is amazing -- absolutely gorgeous and impeccably managed. Beautiful property with lots of great space for us to move our team around, inside and outside. The staff is professional and sincerely happy to serve! The food was to die for (especially the scones!) and the spa is beyond anything I have seen. I was super impressed -- and that is tough to do! I want to go back and just be a guest!! (Special thanks to Kathryn Hennessey, who was so easy to work with and accommodated our unusual and changing needs throughout our event!) Awesome!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

The closest you can get to Tuscany from Manhattan. We were instantly, transported to Tuscany as soon as we drove into the pebble driveway with a beautiful fountain. Someone immediately, greeted us and whisked our luggage to our room. Moments after we entered our room, we were served a welcoming Bellini.

The hotel which is a former estate is exquisitely decorated down to every little detail. The owners have filled the house with treasures from their adventures around the world. It is a mix of new and old without ever feeling stuffy. (An issue that I had with the rooms at the Mayflower Inn.)

Our room was beautifully appointed with its own courtyard. The room was very spacious. Water bottles are provided in the room, throughout the hotel and as you depart. A very thoughtful touch. The bathroom had a large English shower with one sink and toilet.

The room did not have a safe but I understand that they are on order. I was surprised to learn that the blankets were not automatically cleaned between each guest. In this day and age, we have all seen the Dateline report and don't want to sleep with blankets that are not washed between guests. Not what I would expect from a Relais & Chateau property.

The pillows are not down and we thought they were uncomfortable. We both woke up with a crick in our necks. We had to speak to a few people before they could locate two down pillows which seemed odd.

The Spa is nothing short of fabulous. It is again, decorated to perfection. Be sure to see the hammam room which is so incredible that I was sorry that I didn't have time for the Turkish or Moroccan treatments in addition to my massage. Blossom was my masseuse and she is outstanding. After the massage, I was offered a smoothie in addition to water. A very nice touch.

Drinks on the terrace feel as if we were transformed to the Gatsby era. Be sure to visit the terrace if only for the most spectacular view which looks right out of a Hudson River School painting.

Dinner at The Supper Club is very elegant but not stuffy. The Supper Club is closed Sunday nights. The food was delicious and I thought the portions were more than generous. At $85 pp, it is a steal compared to prix fix dinners in NYC for a top notch restaurant. Breakfast is also served in this room. The homemade scones and jams are yummy especially, the tomato with bacon jam.

There is a fabulous china room in the back which you should definitely, peek into since it is from another era.

The Frogs End cafe in the courtyard is very special. It is much less expensive with entrees about $15 and casual. It makes you wonder why we all don't have courtyards in our homes. The grilled cheese sandwich is to die for as are the truffled cheese fries. The portions are huge. The bread is outstanding although, a bit too salty.

The pool is a nice size and great for laps or just relaxing. My gripe was that no one assisted us with set-up or removed dirty towels or glasses as people left or finished using them. We could not find anyone to help us. The staff were either chatting with each other or doing yard work. A hotel like this should set up and shift the umbrellas as the sun changes. They should also bring around a little treat in the morning and afternoon as many top hotels do. The pool area just seemed an after thought which was disappointing.

That said, we loved the place and highly recommend it. We have not found any other place that is this special and so close to The City. Thank you for a wonderful time and we look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: Request all blankets to be washed before you arrive. If you need down pillows, be sure to request t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Intrepidtraveler53
Queens, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I went to the Glenmere for my birthday and I had a fabulous time! The spa is top-notch and the grounds are absolutely beautiful. My treatments at the spa included a mani-pedi and chardonnay body drench. It was very relaxing and the staff waits on you hand and foot, offering snacks and beverages. After my treatments, I ate my lunch from the Frog's End Tavern in a very nice dining room facing the garden area. The food was delicious as well; very fresh ingredients. Overall, it was a very relaxing treat I'd recommend to anybody who is looking for top-notch spa services in the area. It's a great gift for a loved one, as it was a gift from my boyfriend for my 22nd birthday this year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Elizabeth L
Goshen, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I have eaten at the Supper Club and Frogs End Tavern several times and always enjoyed our experience at this meticulously kept treasure in our area. I dreamed of getting the chance to run away to the spa one day. I finally pulled the trigger and spent the day there with a girlfriend getting two services a piece. From the moment we arrived, I knew we were in for a great day. Gina greeted us warmly and professionally and left no stone unturned in making sure our day was simply perfect. From soup to nuts, we got the full on princess treatment beyond any expectation we may have had. Both the services I received were incredible and facility was stunning. Blossom did my massage and asked very pointed questions and paid close attention to my areas of pain. I am pain free a full day later. Simply fantastic. Linda gave me a gorgeous facial and when I saw people later in the evening they all commented that I looked so great. Someone joked and said "botox!" I said "No, Linda!" If there was one little criticism, it would be the locker room was tiny. If there are more than two ladies in there, it would be too tight. That would be my only one very, very small critique in an otherwise spectacular experience. The combination of outstanding customer service, a flawless setting, terrific services and delicious food, I will be go back again without question. I have gone to spas all over the country. Glenmere Spa ranks right at the top. Take a luxury field trip for grown-ups right here in Orange County.

Room Tip: We did not stay in a room. We were day guests at the spa.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MaddogGoshen
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We came back to share our wonderful experience with good friends. This time we added a spa treatment to our itinerary. Unfortunately, I made more than one mistake regarding our reservations. Admittedly, it made things quite inconvenient for the staff and owners and I felt terrible about my blunders.
When we arrived we were welcomed warmly and treated ... What can I say other than "royally".
Then entire staff made our stay absolutely beautiful, unrushed, and relaxing.
While there I was able to schedule a massage at the spa. Again, excellent setting; peaceful, professional, comfortable. The massage room was everything I had hoped for, and the therapist was knowledgeable and compassionate...the perfect combination for healing.
Alan, (one of the owners) was so gracious to us and our guests, our friends will be scheduling their own stay next month.
We will definitely be back again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank aStarduster
Garden City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our first trip to the Glenmere this weekend was nothing short of perfection. The entire staff goes so far above and beyond at every single point of customer experience that I truly felt like we were a king & queen staying at our castle. In paricular, Gina and Jason at the spa and Charles at the front door. They were all such wonderful people who truly care about each and every single guest at the Glenmere. Thank you to all of the wonderful people at the Glenmere who made our engagement weekend simply amazing! You guys are the best! I can't wait to come back to celebrate our anniversary or any other special occassion.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kristen d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
The Thayer Hotel
Comfort Inn &; Suites Goshen / Middletown
Bear Mountain Inn
Bear Mountain Inn
#1 of 1 in Bear Mountain

Been to Glenmere Mansion? Share your experiences!