Glenmere Mansion
Warwick Motel(Warwick)
  • Pool
Courtyard Middletown(Middletown)
View Hotel
Sleep Inn & Suites(Middletown)
James Motel(Monroe)
View Hotel
All reviewssupper roomprincess suitehudson valleyspa treatmentsprix fixthe fine dining restaurantgilded agestay longer next timestunning propertyhomemade jamsheated bathroom floorsan entire weekpublic spacesstall showerrelaxing getawaynew yorkwonderful weekend
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our first trip to the Glenmere this weekend was nothing short of perfection. The entire staff goes so far above and beyond at every single point of customer experience that I truly felt like we were a king & queen staying at our castle. In paricular, Gina and Jason at the spa and Charles at the front door. They were all such wonderful people who truly care about each and every single guest at the Glenmere. Thank you to all of the wonderful people at the Glenmere who made our engagement weekend simply amazing! You guys are the best! I can't wait to come back to celebrate our anniversary or any other special occassion.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kristen d
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I spent two weeks at Glenmere in January. The mansion is exquisitely beautiful. Every detail is thought of. Charles, Eltra, Cathy, Christy and Dan were efficient, and so kind and caring. I adored my room, the Vanderbilt suite. I settled in as comfortably as if it were my home. I loved how soft the sheets and towels are.
The only issue I had was that the headboard is connected to the same wall as the housekeeping-utility closet. Each time housekeeping needed supplies, the sound of them opening and closing the door, and rummaging through the closet, disturbed my rest.
Other than that, it is so far beyond anything I've ever stayed in, it is unbelievable.
On the morning my friend and I left, Dan boxed up a piece of chocolate cake for the road, and tied a lovely blue ribbon around it. It made a lasting impression of both his kindness and Glenmere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank tldaye5
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Fifth stay at Glenmere since they opened, and again everything is impeccably maintained and luxuriously appointed.

Oodles of generous extras as part of the room rate, including a delicious complimentary hot breakfast every morning and the snack-bar upstairs.

Charles the butler greeted me by name, efficiently unpacked all my clothes for me, and in general could not have been nicer or more helpful during my stay.

Priscilla, Michelle, and Tami in reception are all very polite and efficient.

Owner Dan went out of his way to make sure the meals were truly wonderful. He is so kind and thoughtful.
This was the best food I've had so far at Glenmere, and Chef Seadon Shouse definitely is deserving of a 1 star Michelin rating in the elegant Supper Room.
Consistently choosing high quality ingredients and offering nice portion sizes, I always felt pleasantly full at the end of each meal, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner.

The spa was glorious, with the unbelievably pretty relaxing room, and huge treatment rooms.
Jason the manager was wonderful, always welcoming and kind, and went out of his way to put together some unique spa treatments for me, including being able to use the jacuzzi/cold mist/dry sauna room. Wow!
Melissa gave me the best manicure and pedicure of my entire life.
Leah gave me a fabulous 90 minute massage, and Peggy was also great.
Gina at the front desk is very friendly, and always made me feel welcome as I browsed about, asking about different treatments and products.

Valerie and Leslie in housekeeping were darling, always so polite, efficient and smiling with genuine warmth, and they even remembered my name, which I think is lovely given how many guests are in and out of the mansion each year. The mansion is always kept spotlessly clean, and twice daily housekeeping is a treat.

I love the heated marble bathroom floors, and the large size of the shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, etc., plus it smells delicious.
Water pressure is excellent, but it had a strong chlorine smell, which still had not dissipated even after I'd been there two weeks.

Bobby the big and tough yet sweet security guard was always cordial and nice to chat with as i played 'kong' with the handsome standard poodle 'Woodrow' who wags his tail as you approach in the driveway at the guard shack; and made daily walks up and down the driveway for exercise. (if you start at the road and walk all the way up the driveway, down the road by the tennis courts and then up and around past the storage shed and down the side road and then back up to the back of the house, it is a mile:)

Glenmere looked gorgeous in winter, like a wedding cake with snow dusting all the trees and formal gardens. So very very pretty. There were a dozen or so deer on the lawns in the mornings and at dusk, nibbling on the lower branches of the trees or pawing through the snow to find the grass underneath to graze on. I even saw a red fox one morning! It is really nice to see nature in the midst of all this sophisticated luxury.

I stayed in the spacious Princess Suite with its view of the lake, and really enjoyed the gas fireplace, desk with free wifi, comfortable armchair and footrest, and excellent bed with the handy night-light. The lighting in the room is great and so is the closet space.

The only negative at Glenmere is that the piped in house music begins playing at 8:30 a.m. and in on throughout the entire day.
Then the living room automatic piano starts playing at maybe 5:00 p.m. or so until after 10:00 at night. And even though I like their choice of music, it is LOUD.

So the entire time I was in my room (which is located above the living room -- unless there was nobody else staying in the hotel and they turned the music off) I could hear the noise a full 14 hours a day. Being sound sensitive, it was anything but relaxing, which is a shame.

The owner Alan came up and had their wonderful handyman put an extra strip of sound proofing put around the door which connected my room to the room next door, which muffled the sounds of their tv, her high heels and their talking. So he certainly tried his best to mitigate what he could.

I love Glenmere, and love the staff. When and if they soundproof the floors/ceilings throughout the mansion, I will happily return to this gorgeous Relais & Chateaux.

Room Tip: Princess Suite, Vanderbilt Suite and Room 5 are my favorites as they are so spacious and filled with light. Plus the Vanderbilt suite also has a fireplace in the bathroom by the tub!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank CinderellaDearest
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My family has been to the Glenmere Mansion three times for meals. We were never disappointed. We have been there for brunch, lunch, and the latest Thursday night wine series (3 course, prix fixe with wine pairings). Actually it was a four course dinner served to perfection with perfect pairing. Compliments to the chief and staff. The Sommelier, Michael Cimino, was knowledgeable, friendly, and an expert in wines selected for each course. BON APPETITE.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Irene W
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in January and didn’t step outside in the bitter cold the entire time. We pulled up right at the front door of the mansion and were greeted with welcome Bellinis. The interior design and spa were even more beautiful in person. Seems like a true labor of love, with such meticulous attention to detail. Check out the stamped leather wallpaper in the tavern and the mermaid scale silver paper in the women’s WC.

Room. We chose a room based on our budget. We stayed in Room 7, a queen with a gas fireplace for $650. (fireplace was $100 extra and great in the winter.) When we booked, there were many options but I think every room was full once we were there. If we were to stay longer next time, or wanted to hang out in the room more, I’d certainly think about a larger room with a King bed that also had a place to sit for two. We didn’t feel like there was room to order room service in comfort. The web site does a great job of describing the view from each room—and all seem so different so you can pick what works for you. There wasn’t a safe in our room or a coffee maker—2 things we missed. And no on demand movies, but DVDs are available to borrow. Our room was above the front door so I think that’s something we were hearing, and we could also hear our neighbor’s TV each night since ours wasn’t on. We brought a noise machine which helped. We loved the heated bathroom floor and the bed was lit from below as a night light. Housekeeping happened conveniently each morning while we were at breakfast.

Food. The food was delicious—some of the best I’ve had in a long time. The full breakfast (included in the room rate) was amazing. Most wore their slippers from their room to breakfast. Our favorite was Frog's End Tavern. I couldn’t stay away from the octopus salad in the tavern. We dressed for dinner in the supper room, but saw more casual attire as well. The supper room has a delicious prix fixe menu.

To Do. There’s a gorgeous spa (no steam room or Jacuzzi to use in the spa before or after your treatment.) But don’t miss one of the most gorgeous rooms in the mansion—the relaxation room before or after a spa treatment. You wear your robe and slippers from the room. I had a perfect massage from Peggy. There’s a workout room with an elliptical, treadmills, a bike and weights. Tons of board games are set up throughout the 3 different sitting areas in the mansion, beautiful hardcover books to look at everywhere and the best selection of magazines—especially in the spa relaxation room. We watched a brilliant sunset with our pinot noir's over a game of backgammon in the library room each evening. Apparently you can also take a hot air balloon or a helicopter ride right from the property. In warmer weather, you’d also have the use of an outdoor pool, patio seating and maybe an outdoor Jacuzzi as well.

We found Glenmere to be a perfectly relaxing, luxurious escape. Alan and the entire staff were so welcoming.

Room Tip: So many options, they all seem different in size, location/view and price. Read descriptions on the web site. The queen room we had was small for our taste.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple