All reviews supper room hudson valley spa treatments the fine dining restaurant gilded age magnificent pool heated marble floors stunning property homemade jams within driving distance an entire week relaxing getaway public spaces stall shower vanderbilt suite private parties upstate new york
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Everything about our weekend away at Glenmere was perfect. Our junior suite was so beautiful and so comfortable -- king-size bed, fireplace, terrace overlooking the grounds, large soaking tub and a steam shower -- that I didn't want to leave it. But I'm glad that we did because the rest of the property, and in particular the spa (more on that later), is just as impressive. From the large living area with two fireplaces to the library with yet another fireplace to the long lounge/game area with an entire wall of windows near the spa, every room was decorated impeccably and made you just want to sit around and relax.

We intended on having dinner at both the casual Frog's End Tavern and the fancier Supper Room, but liked Frog's End so much that we had dinner there two nights in a row. I heard great things about the dinner at the Supper Room, but Frog's End had more of the feel we were looking for. The pot pies are delicious, as is the homemade pappardelle.

If you are going to be spending any amount of time here, you should definitely do yourself the favor of booking a spa treatment or two. The spa is top notch. I had a couture bath with body scrub and then a prenatal massage. My massage therapist Willow was absolutely amazing! And make sure you give yourself enough time either before, in between or after treatments to relax in the spa's lounge -- it's a gorgeous room with floor to ceiling windows and just a great place to have some tea and do some reading.

I can usually find something wrong with even my most favorite resorts and I honestly have to say that I have no complaints, only compliments, when it comes to Glenmere. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our weekend there and can't wait to go back.

Date of stay: November 2012
2  Thank MrsDougherty
Reviewed November 30, 2012

we were seated in the sunny 'Tuscany' courtyard beside a fountain below a beautiful blue sky for a price fixed pre-theatre menu. The food was excellent although limited and the atmosphere was romantic - I felt like we were transported to Tuscany. The price for this pre-theatre meal is really reasonable considering it includes salad and dessert. I'm from the area but found it a bit tricky to find the mansion which only added to the special feeling that we had arrived in another land.

The restrooms were spotless and upscale - another important factor for us to return for special family events.

1  Thank cacee4
Reviewed September 27, 2012

You drive past the gates, where you come to a station and a very friendly (but firm) man and his very beautifully groomed brown large poodle greets you and asks your name. He let's you through and you drive further along the winding road to see a chateau in the near distance. You're greeted by your own personal butler...no kidding. You're in a chateau in Tuscany somehow transported to Chester, NY. This place doesn't miss a beat...down to the tile that was literalky transported from Italy. The fancy of the fancy are enamored by this place. One lady couldn't stop taking pictures of the bathroom in the lobby with her camera phone. I actually told her if she thought that was nice, she should try a night or two (she was there for brunch).

We had our own pool boy that was ALSO at our service. No task too big or small really was his attitude. When my husband jested that he wasn't ready to go back to work, our pool boy (man) said he would go for him if he likes...talk about accommodating. I've never seen anything like it. The guy was straight faced, attending to our every need and whim, soft spoken and wonderful.

Domenic was great, so were all the others. The staff is top notch. The owner introduced himself, fine gentleman. Great experience. Expensive but worth it. Only 1 hour away from NYC. I can't stop telling my friends about this place, can't stop dreaming about it and planning when to go next.

Room tip: I think they're running an offer in November and December for a percentage off room rates with a spa treatment.
3  Thank travelbug1894
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night in room 12 (a junior suite) for a parents getaway from the kids. Everything was excellent and I can't think of anything to change. Those who designed the property and the guest experience did everything to perfection down to the very last details. We really liked the room we had, the mansion and the grounds. The decorating was elegant and not loud with a mix of old and new; the room design was very functional. The themes of decor held together throughout the property. The design of the grounds is such that you can enjoy private moments even if the hotel is occupied. Room 12's terrace had 180 degree views over to the lake and the deer played their part perfectly in the field. We enjoyed a walk to the lake and around the grounds. The spa is beautiful and my treatment was very good by a therapist with 20 years experience. Dinner and breakfast were excellent (nothing here is out of a package that I could detect); we were afraid of being underfed based on our reading of the menu but we ordered a little extra food and it turned out fine. Some of the portions were smaller than we'd like but overall we thought the restaurant at dinner offered excellent value (breakfast is included in the overnight rate). This place would make an excellent venue for a corporate retreat. Service was very friendly and the innkeeper and his staff are very much engaged and interested in the guest experience. The location is perfectly situated for a one night getaway from NY City and the actual site is lovely. There are plenty of other places that serve this market that one might drive to that are 2 or 3 hours away from the City that are not as pretty as this. You could find what to do here during a day so as to make a 2 night stay worthwhile; we visited the nearby town of Warwick which was nicer than we expected. So yes they are charging a princely sum here but it is quite a job to keep up this place and this level of service. You get what you pay for. This is a tough audience to please, but I can't imagine myself doing any better than the Glenmere in getting it right. Only point I'd make is that I would want to be here on a night when the dining room is open; I can't imagine staying here and either going off property for dinner or eating in the tavern if it were only a one night stay.

Date of stay: September 2012
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank 649ic
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I am accustomed to dining in fine restaurants so my comments are relative to experiences at other similar establishments.

My issue with a recent dining experience in the Glenmere's China Room was the SMALL portions that all six of us received. For an $85 price fixed menu (plus up-charges for certain entree's) I expect more. I'll spare you a long description of each entree but take my beef filet for example. It came with two potato's that were exactly the size of the well known tater tots the only difference was that they had a creamy potato middle. I'm not sure what the small amount of vegetable was under the two potato's but it was chewy like grass. An out of the shell lobster that my daughter had was very small. I had a dark chocolate torte for desert which I expected to be a substantial piece of a traditional looking torte, turned out to be a disc of chocolate, like a mousse - chocolate mix that was about a half an inch high and three inches wide. Other than the ice cream sundae all the desserts were small. Unlike what one of the previous reviewers complained about there was an assortment of bread and plenty of it. Service was excellent and the property itself is beautiful. In my opinion they need to adjust the price - quantity ratio of there menu. I have never felt so unsatisfied at a restaurant of this caliber and price. With tip, one bottle of wine ($30) and a couple of bottles of sparkling water the bill came to about $840. For that price I'd expect to be "full" and leave with something I could eat the next day.

Despite this issues I would still go back because its such a beautiful location and restaurant but I'd be more inclined to go to lunch at their Frog Tavern which would be considerably less expensive.

• Trip type: Traveled with family