All reviewssupper roomprincess suitehudson valleyspa treatmentsprix fixthe fine dining restaurantgilded agean entire weekamazing propertypublic spacesprivate partiesnew yorkthe entire staffromantic weekendguest roomschina roomlittle touches
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night in room 12 (a junior suite) for a parents getaway from the kids. Everything was excellent and I can't think of anything to change. Those who designed the property and the guest experience did everything to perfection down to the very last details. We really liked the room we had, the mansion and the grounds. The decorating was elegant and not loud with a mix of old and new; the room design was very functional. The themes of decor held together throughout the property. The design of the grounds is such that you can enjoy private moments even if the hotel is occupied. Room 12's terrace had 180 degree views over to the lake and the deer played their part perfectly in the field. We enjoyed a walk to the lake and around the grounds. The spa is beautiful and my treatment was very good by a therapist with 20 years experience. Dinner and breakfast were excellent (nothing here is out of a package that I could detect); we were afraid of being underfed based on our reading of the menu but we ordered a little extra food and it turned out fine. Some of the portions were smaller than we'd like but overall we thought the restaurant at dinner offered excellent value (breakfast is included in the overnight rate). This place would make an excellent venue for a corporate retreat. Service was very friendly and the innkeeper and his staff are very much engaged and interested in the guest experience. The location is perfectly situated for a one night getaway from NY City and the actual site is lovely. There are plenty of other places that serve this market that one might drive to that are 2 or 3 hours away from the City that are not as pretty as this. You could find what to do here during a day so as to make a 2 night stay worthwhile; we visited the nearby town of Warwick which was nicer than we expected. So yes they are charging a princely sum here but it is quite a job to keep up this place and this level of service. You get what you pay for. This is a tough audience to please, but I can't imagine myself doing any better than the Glenmere in getting it right. Only point I'd make is that I would want to be here on a night when the dining room is open; I can't imagine staying here and either going off property for dinner or eating in the tavern if it were only a one night stay.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 649ic
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I am accustomed to dining in fine restaurants so my comments are relative to experiences at other similar establishments.

My issue with a recent dining experience in the Glenmere's China Room was the SMALL portions that all six of us received. For an $85 price fixed menu (plus up-charges for certain entree's) I expect more. I'll spare you a long description of each entree but take my beef filet for example. It came with two potato's that were exactly the size of the well known tater tots the only difference was that they had a creamy potato middle. I'm not sure what the small amount of vegetable was under the two potato's but it was chewy like grass. An out of the shell lobster that my daughter had was very small. I had a dark chocolate torte for desert which I expected to be a substantial piece of a traditional looking torte, turned out to be a disc of chocolate, like a mousse - chocolate mix that was about a half an inch high and three inches wide. Other than the ice cream sundae all the desserts were small. Unlike what one of the previous reviewers complained about there was an assortment of bread and plenty of it. Service was excellent and the property itself is beautiful. In my opinion they need to adjust the price - quantity ratio of there menu. I have never felt so unsatisfied at a restaurant of this caliber and price. With tip, one bottle of wine ($30) and a couple of bottles of sparkling water the bill came to about $840. For that price I'd expect to be "full" and leave with something I could eat the next day.

Despite this issues I would still go back because its such a beautiful location and restaurant but I'd be more inclined to go to lunch at their Frog Tavern which would be considerably less expensive.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Brian K
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Having stayed here a year ago and upon coming back, I was amiss to see that some details have been ignored....especially with the lack of attention to bedding in the room. The staff continues to be nice and accommodating......the pool area needs some tidying up, in particular the stained blue cushions on the summer chaises....meals still good.....The spa is good, dependent upon which attendant you get.....not sure if I'd go back.

Room Tip: Check out your room before you check in!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank summer0807
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We've been to many 5 star hotels and resorts and thought we had seen it all, but Glenmere has set the new standard! The service, the people, the rooms, the food...all spectacular. Guest are treated like royalty from the moment they arrive and the staff is the nicest, most gracious and helpful I've ever experienced. A great resort is all about the details and Glenmere and it's staff have nailed it!!! Couldn't be better and can't say enough except that I can't wait to come back - at least a few times a year. This place is the BEST!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mr S
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This is our 3rd visit to Glenmere in 4 months and I already can't wait to come back. They get every detail right here - exceptional service, gorgeous rooms and spa and wonderful food. This is truly our new home away from home - a total gem.

• Stayed: June 2012