“Heaven on Earth”

Ranked #1 of 2 Chester B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Much has already been written about the comforts and beauty of this property, but it must be visited to be understood and appreciated.
We used Glenmere as a base to visit Storm King, Dia, West Point, Hyde Park, etc. on a Hudson Valley trip. With close access to the interstates it a good base and even better to come home to rest. The property in magnificent and still feels new, but comfortable at the same time. Everything has been thought of in making the rooms user friendly. The public rooms are gracious and well appointed to be sure. The dinning room is breathtaking and enjoys wonderful views as well.
We were not sure about having the Frog's head tavern on property, but came to enjoy that intimate space. think of it as a small English town pub (upscale).
The gardens are fantastic even into the mid fall when we visited.
The staff, almost all local have been trained to a very high service standard. We had some interaction with one of the owners/managers and the concept was to create a place incorporating what they like when they travel. They are new to the hotel business and have hit the ball out of the park with what they have done.
Our only issue was that the main dinning room is only open Thur. to Sat., so be careful to be there at least one of those nights to enjoy the full experience. Breakfast is always served in the main dinning room, but dinner other nights is served in the Frog's Head pub.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the house. Price indicates size, fireplace and tub.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Chester, New York. Not exactly the type of town I would expect to find a place like this in for sure. Maybe Florence, Italy ... but Chester? The only thing I knew of Chester is it is a tiny town off the highway which was described to me as a stopping point for gas or snacks on the way to the Woodbury outlet mall. I was staying at The Bedford Post Inn, a member of a very exclusive hotel group who recommended that I stop by Glenmere Mansion when I talked about Italy with one of the staff members there.

My GPS seemed to be tested finding Glenmere and it seemed like a couple back country roads through some corn fields and all of a sudden I came upon a gate. Beyond the gate was a not so impressive parking lot. Oh boy, I thought. Turns out my inability to read directions and the property's lack of signage got the best of me and I was in the employee parking lot. As I approached the Mansion, I felt as though I had left New York and been transported to Tuscany. A salmon colored Medetteranian Palazzo with blue shutters and giant, fenced in courtyard was there.

Upon entering, I got the same snooty reception that I have grown used to at RC properties. It is almost like part of the package to almost be 'sized up and deemed worthy' by the hotel staff here. After apparently passing the the entrance exam (sometimes when you enter a RC property you feel more like you are joining a country club than checking into a hotel/resort) I was seated for lunch. It was a fairly nice day for April (70 degrees and sunny), so I asked to sit outside in the center courtyard for lunch. It was not technically the season for outdoor dining, but the hostess accomodated me by putting some cushions on the chairs. It must have been a good idea because when a few other couples passed by and saw me, they too asked for outside seating.

The courtyard is an incredible replica of a palazzo in Italy. I felt as if I was dining at the Piti Palace in Florence. There is a sistern/fountain in the middle and the outdoor teak furniture is arranged around that. The menu is not as Italian as the decor ... I would say it was sort of a French, Italian and American fusion. I settled on a salad with Spaghetti Carbonara with asparagus. The drinks here are overpriced at between $14 - $18 each but in their defense, they are made fresh ... mine was $16 and included muddled fig, soda water and some bourbon.

The food was excellent and the service was fantastic. My waitress was not pretentious at all but rather fun and sarcastic. She made it very enjoyable to dine alone. What a fantastic view while dining on a nice, sunny day. The food was good ... nothing I would give a Michillen Star for ... but upscale and fresh. There was a fried egg on top of my pasta, not a true Carbonara but it tasted good with the cheese and asparagus tips. Pasta, I don't know if it was homemade.

I was also able to walk around the grounds and the innkeeper was nice enough to show me a couple rooms as I was on business and unable to stay. The rooms I saw were obviously the most expensive ones ... huge suites with sitting rooms and giant stone bathrooms. I could see why these rooms were between $800 - $1200 per night. She unfortunately couldn't show me one of the more modest rooms because they were being cleaned or occupied. Imagine that. I would have to say if they were even half as impressive as the rooms I saw (I think the going rate at the time for a 'basic' if you can call it that, room was $375 - $450 per night. I can't imagine anything at this place wasn't amazing, so it would probably be well worth it. Besides, your only other option in Chester is a Holiday Inn Express.

Overall, this is the kind of place dreams are made of. You will feel as though you are in Tuscany and the remote location of the mall is quite a draw. The property has beautiful landscaping and several sitting areas looking over the lake. The inside of the property is amazing ... like something out of a Veranda Magazine. Not as Italian as I thought it would be ... I would say it reminds me more of a Manhatten sort of decor. However, I did notice the Murano glass chandaliers in the sitting room.

If you have half a grand to spend on a standard room ... or over a grand to drop on a suite ... this is the place you will want to do it. Nearby is the Woodbury Common Outlets. For those who can pay the bill here, outlet shopping is probably not a common passtime. However you will find Frette, Gucci, Versace, Armani, Etro, Neimann Marcus Last Call and many other great stores here. It is worth a check out, even for those who never thought they would visit an outlet. The last time I was at this outlet mall, there was a que of waiting limousines and a visiting prime minister from a country in the east was shopping there with his family.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed August 21, 2011

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Glenmere Mansion. This is a beautiful property. We felt as if we had been transported to Italy without the plane ride. The mansion is beautifully decorated, our junior sutie was just gorgeous with a large terrace, which we really enjoyed. The bed was extremely comfortable as well. The staff welcomed us with Bellinis in our room for our celebration. We ate in the dining room twice, each meal was delicious. The staff in the dining room was very professional and yet friendly and accomodating. Drinks on the terrace overlooking the grounds are a must! The staff go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and well taken care of, yet maintaining an air of refined elegance.
We are looking foward to returning to Gelnmere Mansion in the very near future.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EllenNewJersey
Trumbull, Connecticut
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Should I pinch myself? Am I in heaven....maybe Tuscany.....no I'm here on the grand terrace of Glenmere, where I've just dined at "The Season's" and had an equisite meal with my husband....Celebrating our Wedding Anniversary we decided to stay over a few nights and sleep in one of the grand rooms that is this place....The staff is cordial and very knowledgeable about the estate. When you meet Alan, one of the Innkeepers and owners, you'll comprehend the passion that he and his partners have for this place. The equisite details that abound in the "Library", Grand Living Room and outside terraced gardens are really something to behold....take a dip in the clear blue pool and go back to yesteryear...the way that "Grand" derived it's definition....would most definitely go back here.

Room Tip: In the summer get one that overlooks the pool.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank summer0807
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I visited this property on a visit to the Catskills region after seeing it had come online to Relais Chateaux this year. I did not stay overnight but I saw some rooms and got a sense of the property. It is comparable to the Wheatleigh, although I think this is actually nicer. I like the rooms; the gardens and various views are beautiful, the restoration takes an old Italian property and makes it sparkle with a good amount of modern thrown in without being minimalist, and the little details seem to be there. The New York area has been waiting for a property of this type in this geographic area -- just inside the Catskills mountain range but definitely out of the city -- about an hour from the George Washington Bridge. Too bad you can't bring children here, but they would be bored here anyway. I think you would want to stay here overnight, but it might not be a place to spend several days. Woodbury Commons is close by which makes for a nice little escape from the city. Prices seem high but if you'll pay them at the Wheatleigh, you might as well pay it here for 3 hours less of a drive. Assuming the food matches the rest of the place, this is one to put on the list of hideaways. At 18 rooms and 3 miles off route 17 on a very private estate, this qualifies as one. I assume it will make Andrew Harper's collection by next year.

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank 649ic
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a night at Glenmere to celebrate our first-year anniversary. It was an absolutely wonderful escape from NYC - beautiful grounds, impeccable decor and well-appointed rooms complimented by a warm and welcoming staff. We arrived late Saturday afternoon and were greeted with well wishes and bellinis. We enjoyed lunch at Frog's End Tavern before spending the rest of the day relaxing poolside. Cocktails on the patio followed by dinner in the Supper Room was delicious. We met Alan, one of the owners, who couldn't have been friendlier. Sunday morning we walked the property, got a quick workout in the nice gym and enjoyed the muffins and fruit for breakfast. Even though we were only there for one night, it felt as if we really got away for a long time. Can't wait to go back when the spa is complete. It truly is a hidden gem that we feel lucky to have experienced!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LCBCAB
Las Vegas
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Glenmere is elegance defined. A former home of Gilded Age millionaire, Robert Goelet, Glenmere has been lovingly restored with 18 guest suites to evoke a bygone time. The interiors are stunning and luxurious. Design details abound. The staff are friendly, gracious and helpful. For even the most discerning traveler accustomed to 5-star service and accommodations, Glenmere is a treat!

Room Tip: Look on-line to select the room category most suited to your needs. Rooms vary in size.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GoldenGooseLV
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
The Thayer Hotel
#1 of 2 in Central Valley
Caldwell House Bed and Breakfast
Caldwell House Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 1 in Salisbury Mills

Been to Glenmere Mansion? Share your experiences!