“This establishment is very unique and takes one back to times before the Interstate System and airplanes changed vacation travel”

Tepee Pete's Chow Wagon
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: This is not your typical Hot dog stand. Pete, Tepee Pete is just a guy with a pot of chili and a dream. Serving roadside eats, outside dining only. Only open seasonally May to October.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I am from Western SD and have travelled significantly and had chili from all over. This is some of the best there is. The overtones and complexity of the "heat" is terrific but not overwhelming. I had mine with a quesadilla. The owner is your cook and server, and the whole experience was delightful; a plus in this day and age.

1  Thank ArmyTop

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Tepee Pete is hilarious and entertaining, and I think he has the best chili in NY State. The 7 pepper chili shooter (free) is VERY spicy but still flavorful. If you try it, you get to sign the book and read the reactions of others who have tried it from all over the world.
Pete created a special grilled chicken taco salad for us, with mushrooms and peppers. We also had a delicious deluxe quesadilla. Everything had just the right amount of kick to it.
The tepee shop is also worth checking out. They sell Pete's salsas -- the apple salsa is excellent!

1  Thank plasticlover
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I tried the 7 pepper chili shooter as a starter. It is hot. Not unbearable, but hot. Our bill of fair ended but being a chili cheese dog, a half order of the Nachos Supreme (Grande), and a bacon cheese burger. The Nachos were amazing. We opted for a blend of the 7 pepper and the mild and it was oh so good. The wonderful personable service and visits from the local cats only added to our enjoyment.

1  Thank William O
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Love love love this place! Ordered the food, and Pete said we could walk around the gift shop while he cooks the food (he would ring the dinner bell when it was ready). We had a chili cheese dog, two dogs with grilled onions, fries with cheese and bacon, and the FAMOUS hot chili. The boyfriend had to sign a disclaimer, but it was totally worth it - he got the hiccups, but it had GREAT depth of flavor. GO HERE. TRUST ME (I'm a foodie).

1  Thank chapstickgurl86
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have been there about six times, I think........but I never tried the chili because either the Chow Wagon was not open or I had already eaten lunch. Anyways, I LOVE this great gift shop and I just love the kitchiness of this roadside stop. After reading the great reviews here on tripadvisor, I am determined to have the chili next time I stop........and I KNOW there will be a next time!

1  Thank JuneNY