Chenango Valley State Park Campground
EconoLodge
$60
$96
Hotels.com
Red Roof Inn Binghamton - Johnson City(Johnson City)(Great Value!)
$49
$88
$84
Del Motel(Binghamton)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Our family rented a cabin for a week here again this year. We have three teens--19, 16, and 15 years old. We love the park. There is plenty to do if you love to be outdoors.
Our cabin was big enough for our family--our boys and girl had to sleep in the same room, but that is fine. Cabin is big enough for 6. The main room has small kitchen (sink, gas stove, small refrigerator), a dining area with a table and 6 chairs, a woodstove (some cabins have a fireplace) and a double size bed. The bunk room has 2 bunkbeds (4 beds) with twin mattresses. The bathroom is a toilet and sink. There is only cold running water (we heat water on the stove if we need to. Next year we will probably bring our own drinking water as it didn't taste great.
The cabin also has a nice screened porch area where you can sit if it's raining.
The site has a fire ring, a picnic table,and a charcoal grill you can use.
We had a nice blend of shade and sun on our site.
The park has 2 lakes, one with a swimming area, boat rentals, fishing,etc. We took our own canoe and had to buy a "permit" for it for $5. The roads are up and downhill, good for biking. Lots of hiking trails--which the office gives out free maps for. We really enjoyed the variety of wildlife, especially birds.
The state is renovating some of the cabins, which is needed, I just hope they don't raise their rates, as I think they are fair right now.
PLUS: Cabins allow pets, wildlife
MINUS: Mattresses are in need of replacement, Staff could be friendlier

Room Tip: Book early enough in the year so you can choose the dates you would like to be there.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Nancy L
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We camped in the Chipmunk Loop in a motorhome. Electric is available at some sites here, but not water. Water is only available through spigots located throughout the campground. Sites are mostly shaded, and close together with some vegetation separating them. Showers are clean but old. The roads in the campground are in terrible shape, paved but falling apart. Some of the park roads have been repaired, but some are also in bad shape. Hiking trails, especially around the lakes, are wooded and nice but trailheads are not always well marked. The park is located close to Binghamton.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 76Gator
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I live locally and frequent the campground to swim at the lake, and have been camping a few times over the years. We showed up at the campground about 11am on a rainy saturday morning and wanted to camp for the week. We did not have a reservation, but asked if there were any sites with electric available. We were told very abruptly "no" and were given no other options. We had to ask if there were any sites available, and reluctantly we were told yes, but we couldn't have a site with electric because people made reservations for them already. Ok, we already went over that.....but we weren't picky and would just as easily take a site without electric. So I asked her if we could see some sites that were available so we could make a decision. Again, reluctantly she told us "yes". It just seemed as though we were a big bother to her, and she just did not want to deal with us. Definately had an attitude of indifference with us from the moment we walked through the door. Now being very frustrated by the lack of customer service, I asked her if I could have a map of the park because I don't know which sites have electric and which ones don't. She gave me a map, put x's near the areas without electric, and told me that I only had 10 minutes to look around, or she was going to charge me a day rate. Can you believe that??? We drove around the park to see what was available, and came across the sunrise sites that are behind the campground offices. These sites are beautiful and very spacious. The chipmunk section is very nice as well, but it's usually pretty full of families, and we were looking for something a little more secluded, and these sites were great. We picked out site number 25, among some others, but made our way back to the office to see if it was available, within the 10 minute allotted timeframe with which we had to look around. When we entered the office, she acted as if we were bothering her again, but said that we found some sites and wanted to see if they were available. She asked us which sites, and was very very short with us, and went to her computer to see if they were available. Sure enough 25 was available, but she says to us, in a very rude tone, "well I hope you like company". Now, I've pretty much ran out of patience at that point and really just wanted to leave, but I asked her what that meant and she said well there's somebody in site number 24 so if you think your going to have privacy, you won't. I encourage anyone to go check out the distance between sites 24 and 25 to see how close they are to each other. At night, you couldn't even see our neighbors, so I'm not sure why anyone would say something like that to us. We said we would like to reserve the site, as we are local we wanted to make a rsvp for the site, and go home and get our gear and come back. She said well, you just can't make a reservation and leave. We didn't understand that, but she said she didn't do reservations there. OK, so then why tell me that all of the electric sites were taken by people that made reservations???? She then tells us that usually we would have to make our reservations online, ok, but we were there to camp that day, you don't do walk ins? I guess we used the wrong terminology, as what we really wanted to do was check in, not really make a reservation. Finally, she did check us in. As that was occuring, another couple entered the office, and the funny thing is, the lady at the desk became very friendly to us. Told us how much we owed them for the week, and then said with a big ole smile on her face and "don't forget to check out the DJ tonight at 7:00". Almost as if she didn't want witnesses to how rude she was to us. We did complain to the assistant park manager, who tried to make us feel a little better about the situation. By, the way, I'm never a complainer, so for us to go there to speak with someone, we were very upset and wanted someone to know how she treated us. She gave us a couple containers of free wood, which definately appreciated, but honestly a sincere apology would have gone a long way. The other girls that work in the office are very friendly and accommodating, and the park is absolutely beautiful, but should I ever go back there to camp, and enter the office to see her behind the desk, I may just look for another place to stake my tent.

Room Tip: Definately check out the sunrise camp sites. The sites are larger and not on top of your neighbors. There are a couple of hiking trails close to the sites, and the bathrooms are individually bathrooms and look like they are fairly new.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank WendyK0828
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We were planning on spending a night at Chenango on our way to the Finger Lakes. We were going to book in the Chipmunk section until my wife found the previous review. Sunrise section is definitely better. Larger, more separated campsites and smaller than the chipmunk section. Our site was just above the bog. There's a nice trail that goes down to the lake and the bog at the end of the section.
Note, only one "comfort station" has showers. The other bathrooms are just flush toilets and sinks with a (cold water) dish washing station.
Next time we come through the area we probably plan on spending a couple of nights here. The rest of the park seems really nice.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SixTopTourMan
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We camped here for 3 nights and it was so much fun! We stayed in the Sunrise section and after seeing some of the other areas, realize that was the best one! The other sections were open areas, so that there was no privacy and the tents were all next to each other. Sunrise section was private campsites, some very big, others smaller. the bathrooms were just built a year ago. They were exceptionally clean and without a doubt, the nicest bathrooms I have ever seen camping! Each bathroom has its own private shower too - you just can't beat that! And big enough to bring in 2 kids plus myself to shower and not crowded at all. The lake area is just awesome. They have a big swimming area, just for the diving board, then another big swimming area from 11 ft - 3 ft and then another huge area from 6 inches to 5 feet. No matter your swimming ability, there is an area for you. And because each area is so big, you don;t feel crowded. The water is very clean. There are also some nice hikes around the campgrounds. We will definitely come back to this campground in the future, will just make sure we are in the Sunrise section.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family