“looks are deceiving”

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Cheektowaga
Toronto, Canada
“looks are deceiving”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have to say pretty mediocre and disappointing stay at this hotel. It looked good in the photos and seemed to have a lot of amenities. Our room was basic, stains on the carpet, mould on the caulking around the tub, and low water pressure in the bathroom sink. The pool was packed with families and screaming kids so we didn't bother with a swim. Our room on the second floor was toward the end of the hall where a couple of vending machines were situated, that droned loudly all night. Our free breakfast was bland scrambled eggs, that tasted like they were poured out of a carton, this was accompanied by poor tasting coffee. The room cost us $160 for the night. A big waste of money. Really expected a lot more for what we spent. I wish we had opted for a budget motel, it would have been a step up.

Room Tip: Pick a room that isn't near the end of a hallway; vending machines are loud.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank franca32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Hebrew first
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We picked the Canadian Traveler Deal when booking this hotel online. Room rate was $99.00 per night. The room was located on the backside of the hotel on the ground floor. Very dark and dated but clean. It is the perfect location for shopping. Make time to use the pool as it is warm and relaxing. We would stay again based on the room rate and location.

1 Thank DragunFamily
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I visited the hotel last week for a shopping trip with the family. It is situated right opposite the largest shopping mall in NY. The rooms are okay. Not to fancy. The front office staff was friendly, however the restaurant staff were in experienced. Being a diamond M&C member the breakfast was supposed to be free. The staff gave me a bill for both the days for breakfast. This was corrected by the Front Office Manager while checking out. The housekeeping staff were not friendly at all. They were rude. The staff that did up the room kept only 2 sets of towels when we were four in the room.
Other than the location the hotel is nothing to rave about.

1 Thank Darryl D
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed overnight in Buffalo so that we could shop for the full weekend. We stayed at the Millenium because there was availability and in comparison to other hotels and motels in the area, it was the best value option. A complimentary breakfast was also included in the price.

However, by no means was this hotel a value option on its own. The location was great as it is next to the Walden Galleria and other shopping. Because of the proximity to the airport, we did hear the airplanes which started at 6 am -- we expected this, so for us, not an issue. However the interior of the hotel is in dire need of a renovation. I have seen better kept and designed dining rooms in motels and other three star hotels. The dining area was dark with cafeteria style table seating. The room was marginally better than a motel room. The bathroom was very basic and in need of a renovation. The sink had cracks in it (indicative of age) and there was mold around the tiles by the shower. The vanity and fixtures in the bathroom were very basic and in plain white. And the most obvious sign of age in the room was the tube television. (versus flat screen). Aside from the odd stains on the carpet, the room was basically clean.

I am a frequent traveller and I have stayed in two and a half star to five star hotels. For the price that we paid and for the three star rating of this hotel I really expected that the Millenium would be more like a hotel than a motel. In fact I have stayed at motels that are in better condition and renovated than this hotel. I also compare this to the other Millenium hotels that I have stayed at which are of a higher quality. I would not be making these comments if the hotel cost $100 a night. But at the time that I stayed, it cost much more than this. We were okay with spending more money because it was only one night. But for the money that we did spend, we expected more than a motel.

1 Thank Padparadscha
Braunschweig, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Good stay for around 100$ near buffalo airport. Comfortable sleep with good service . Has lots of varieties in restaurant too. Rooms are large with huge beds and good view. Didnot use the swimming pool but the appearance says it was good

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Ketaki C
Fremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

When you go to see Niagara falls from the US side, you have two choices for staying. You can either stay very close to the falls, with limited selection of hotels and restaurants. Or you can stay in downtown Buffalo and endure the commute to the falls (from this hotel the falls was about 20 minutes) but have great selection of hotels and restaurants. If you prefer the latter, then this hotel, right next to the Walden Galleria shopping mall, has a perfect location.

You're surrounded by shops and restaurants and fast food choices. If you are returning late from the falls, a TGI Friday within walking distance stays open very late. The hotel is really nice. The pool is one of the best, the room is spacious, the bed (we took a room with 2 queens) is very comfortable. The hotel staff was quite courteous.

Immediately after getting out of the hotel, you can hop into I-90 E, then I-290 W and finally I-190 North exit 21 or 22 to go the falls. Follow the reverse path for coming back.

This was our 3rd trip to Niagara, the 2nd trip to the US side of the falls. Of course the Canada side has a more picturesque view of the falls, but if we come back here, I will want to stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Higher floors give you a better view. Rooms with 2 queen beds are more spacious.
2 Thank fremont_ca_traveller
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

A few times a year, my husband and I take the short trip to Buffalo to do some cross-border shopping. It's such an easy drive, we usually do it all in one day. Last week, we decided to take our time and spend 1 night so we could REALLY shop 'til we dropped. We wanted something accessible to the Walden Galleria Mall where we usually begin. We ended up choosing the Millenium, based on its access to the Galleria and some of the reviews here.

Make no mistake, I stay in lots of fabulous hotel when traveling for pleasure; some high-end chains and some truly lovely boutique hotels. When traveling for business, it's Four Seasons when a property is accessible, or, if not, the next best thing. Having said that, I have stayed at Holiday Inns when that was all available. I don't expect great things from all hotels. But I DO expect basic cleanliness.

When we checked into the Millenium (A Deluxe King Room), we went through the usual paperwork, including an acknowledgement that we would not be smoking in our room. No problem, as neither of us smokes and we both detest the smell of smoke.

Immediately upon opening the door to our room we were overcome with the smell of old, stale smoke. I mean, it was quite overwhelming. I can't remember the last time I had to request a room change, if ever, but I made my way over to the phone without even putting my bags down and called the front desk. No apology, no anything; just asked to hold. And, as I was on hold, my husband made the mistake of pointing down at the carpet. Honestly, I can say without any exaggeration whatsoever, it was absolutely disgusting. Hard to tell how old it was, but there was not one square foot that wasn't covered in dark stains of every size. Absolutely FOUL. When the front desk staff finally came back on, it was to offer one of two rooms, both also King Deluxe. I asked the difference between the two and was told he didn't know. We picked the one on the higher floor...just because.

The second room was much cleaner and brighter looking. At least it didn't have a brown and orange-ish bedspread which helped. We basically dumped our bags and hit the stores, getting back about 10:00 a.m. I had made the decision just to get through the night and get out a.s.a.p. in the morning.

As I was getting into bed, and pulled the overs back, the bottom sheet came with the top sheet. Lo and behold, no mattress cover at ALL, just the bottom sheet on the bare mattress. That was the final straw for me. Absolutely made my skin crawl. I'd like at least the ILLUSION of a little distance between me and the previous guests, please. I put my raincoat on the bed and slept fully clothed and was up and out first thing. For this, we paid close to $200.00, including taxes.

I'm not sure who is at the helm here, but this hotel needs a very serious assessment and or update by head office. I will drive a long way to avoid this hotel in the future and an even longer one to avoid staying in any Millenium property in the future. Do yourself a BIG favour and find a Holiday Inn, a Days' Inn...anything other than this hotel if you're just there for a day or two of shopping. You may just want the room for sleeping, but you should be able to trust the basic cleanliness of the place. That is NOT the case here.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. Fast.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Peg70

Travelers are raving about these Cheektowaga hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheektowaga
Home2 Suites by Hilton Buffalo Airport/Galleria Mall
Adam's Mark Buffalo
#10 of 24 in Buffalo
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,746 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Cheektowaga North East

Been to Millennium Buffalo? Share your experiences!