“convenient to walden galleria mall for Black Friday but not great value for price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Millennium Buffalo

Millennium Buffalo
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Cheektowaga
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

Have stayed in this hotel two years in a row for Black Friday shopping trip and love being right beside the mall. Pool area is very nice. Rooms are a bit dated, and this time when we arrived our adjoining rooms had been occupied by smokers and reeked. Staff dealt with this immediately. Price is higher than other nicer hotels and did not inlcude breakfast but could not beat the convenience of walking to and from the mall. Canadian rate is great but does not apply to Black Friday.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BuffaloRuss, Manager at Millennium Buffalo, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Thank you for the feedback! Yes, so many of our guests have commented on the amazing proximity to the Walden Galleria. Literally a short walk away! Also, I'm sorry you had to deal with the smoke fumes, but am glad it was dealt with in such a speedy fashion. Please come again soon and, by the way, we do offer the special Canadian rate very often; however, there are times when those rates are sold out. So please keep trying! There are several dates over the next 12 weeks when that rate is available! Thank you once again and we hope to have you back with us soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Hebrew first
Caledon, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We came down as group for a shopping trip booking our hotel well in advance for the "great" price of $190. There were going to be 5 of us so we requested a double queen room with a roll-away bed for the fifth person. Upon booking we were told that a roll-away was requested for $15. Great. We arrived exhaused from shopping all night and day. Upon check-in we were told the roll-away would be brought up shortly. This was not a problem as we were going to freshen up and go out for an early dinner before tucking in for the night.

The room was dingy, bathroom was gross with mildew and cracks in the sink. Sheets were threadbare, pillows were lumpy, and the towels were thin and rough. This is not what I expect when paying $190 for a room. At best this is $49 a night type of "motel" room where I would expect this level of dinginess. But is was only one night and we would make do...We came back at 7:30 (checked in over 4 hours ago) and still no roll-away. When I called down, we were told that were no roll-aways available. I asked to speak with manager, someone named Ang or Angie who repeated that roll-aways were not available. She went on to say they were doing away with roll-aways for this reason (makes no sense). I asked why we were told one would be sent to our room at check in and she said she would reprimand the check-in person who told us that. I asked what we were supposed to do since there were 5 of us. She offer another room for $149 (a reduced rate!). Really? Your hotel falls short and we have to pay??? she offered to send up more blankets and sheet...to put where?? on the floor?? Was this "manager" actually telling me to sleep on the floor. If the beds were dingy - what do you think the floors looked like?? She then has the nerve to say that she was not telling me to sleep on the floor just that she would send up additional blankets. So where did Angie expect me to put these extra blankets - on the TV?

I asked for additional room for free since this was their error ... nope. I asked for her to offer another solution other than more blankets....nope. Finally i had to call her back and find out if they had an extra mattress (since they could not seem to think of any solutions or even try to think outside the box) that we could throw on the floor. She was able to provide a pool lounge cushion. I was still upset over having to sleep on the floor so I told i wanted a discount on the room which she then gave 25% off but only after I insisted for several minutes. She made it sound as if she was doing me a favor and I should be grateful for the pool lounge cushion.

It was a horrible night and i spent most of it in the room chair because even with the cushion, the floor was uncomfortable....and worse I could not relax because I was worried about mice or bugs scurring around in the night (the hotel was that dingy). To be fair - I never saw any vermin but based on the age and state of the hotel I just could not relax sleeping on the floor.

Now I know they are renovating but why are we being charged full price for old and dingy 1-2 star rooms at best??? I travel regularly. IN Niagara Falls Canada, where I stay 2-.3 times a year, always during long weekends, I have never paid more than $99 to $150 for a room. I only stay in 4-5 star such as the Double Tree, The Hilton, and 4 Points Sheraton and Sheraton. All have stunning and clean rooms, luxurious even. These are 4-5 star hotels charging less than this disgusting hotel.

Low point of our trip and we will never stay there again. Renovation or not, the customer service is horrible and that is why I would never come back. I work in customer service and this situation is a great opportunity to turn a negative into a positive. Instead of me writing this horrible review, I could have writing about how the hotel and their staff turned a bad situation into a good one. Instead of telling all my friends to avoid this hotel like the plague, i could praising the amazing staff who went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable even though we had an initial snafu.

Stay away!!!!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Cheektowaga hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

I wouldn't stay at this hotel again even if they paid me. My friends agree!

After a long day of shopping and dinner we (3 of us) checked in very late. I called earlier to ensure there wouldn't be a problem checking in late and the person on the phone told me that the room will be available until 2am. I had reserved a 2-queen bed room. When we checked in they only had a 2-double bed room and a 1-king bed room. We were very disappointed. The young man behind the counter offered us a reduced rate to take the 2-doubles and we accepted as it was 1/2 the original cost.

We wanted help with our bags but there was nobody to help and the young man told me to look for a cart down the hall as there may be one there. No carts to be found! We had to carry all our purchases up to our room by hand. Not fun after the long day we had!

We get to our room, and aside from it being old and dingy, it smelled of stale smoke. This hotel is supposed to be smoke-free. It was disgusting! I called the front desk and they couldn't give us another room because: 1. There wasn't another 2-double bed room available, and 2. There were no roll-away beds available to give us a king bed room. They couldn't even come and spray the room as the cleaning staff had already gone for the day.

Now tell me, shouldn't the cleaning staff have noticed that this room smelled and sprayed it earlier in the day when they cleaned it? I believe they didn't clean it! The pillows smelled of smoke and we had to sleep with a towel over it. The sheets were all wrinkled and certainly didn't look like they were fresh. The sheets were also very old with holes in them.

I'm allergic to smoke so I woke up in the morning all congested and unable to breathe properly. My two friends woke up in the same condition!! There is no way that this room was ever smoke-free. Did their smoke-free policy start last week? Unbelievable!!

We complained to the manager at the front desk and told her all the issues we had from the moment we checked in. She was apologetic and told us that they would take care of the cost of the room. To us, that meant that the room wouldn't be charged. We were content with that resolution.

Guess what?! I checked my VISA statement and we were charged for the room. What kind of customer service is that? The best part is that I called the hotel to speak to the manager we spoke to and there is no such person with that name. And the lady I spoke to on the phone told me that although she sees the rate had been lowered, none of our complaints had been documented.

Now I'm waiting to hear back from the manager.

2 Thank Maria G
BuffaloRuss, Manager at Millennium Buffalo, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Maria, we are very sorry for your recent experience. Certainly, our housekeeping staff should have addressed the smokey aroma in your guestroom. We are addressing that issue. Also, I understand from Angela that you did receive the refund you were promised. I am happy it has been resolved. We do hope you will stay with us again. Truly, your experience is an exception to the service our guests normally receive. In addition, our 2012 renovation promises to address each of your concerns about the condition of our guestrooms! Please check our web site for more information! Thank you again, Maria, and please accept our apologies for your recent stay.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

The hotel room was clean, but the rooms are dark and old (even though we requested the recently updated rooms). The sinks have cracks and the beds are adequate.

Don't go to the bar in the hotel. It's questionable at best. If I were alone, I would have walked out for my own safety.

Check out was a nightmare as everyone had to stand in line. Who does that anymore?

It's close to shopping and has a shuttle. I would choose the Hampton over this hotel. I would not go back to the Millennium after being in both hotels.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
BuffaloRuss, Manager at Millennium Buffalo, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Thank you for staying with us recently. We are glad the cleanliness of our hotel met your expectations. We are happy to report an upcoming renovation in 2012 that will lighten and brighten our guestrooms! Regarding our Twigs Lounge, we are sorry you felt unsafe. This lounge is primarily utilized by our in-house guests and we have never had an incident that would cause concern or alarm. Truly, our hotel is safe and secure. Finally, please accept our apology for the wait you experienced while checking out. A recent power outage in the area caused our computers to go down temporarily, which delayed what would have been a normally speedy check-out. Thank you once again for staying with us and please try us again following our revovation!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

A total dump. I stayed two years ago and figured I'd give it a try again, mostly because it's so close to the Galleria. This place is a hole in the ground. Cigarette butts in carpet. Threadbare sheets. Old pillows. It smells and the clientele is real low brow. Expects drunks smoking in hallways. Biggest warning is for Canadians using to stow car. Mark your mileage. I did. THEY DROVE MY CAR during my two weeks. Told me some crap about moving around on lot. Really? 15 Kilometres? No proof or I would called police.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
BuffaloRuss, Manager at Millennium Buffalo, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Hello Weirdhead! Our Park & Fly package has been enormously successful since we created it several years ago. We do several thousand packages annually and this is the first complaint we have received about it. Please know we could not possibly have driven your vehicle while it was here. We have not had a satelite parking area in several months; in addition, we have not collected car keys from our guests since early this year! Thus, your vehicle stayed put throughout its stay with us. What's more, we are a non-smoking hotel so there would not have been guests smoking in the hallways. Finally, we take pride in our Canadian guests and are genuinely grateful to them for their continued loyalty. The vast majority of our clentele is from Canada and we are taken back and surprised by your reference to them as 'low brow', particularly as you are from Canada as well. Nonetheless, we thank you for your patronage and wish you luck on future trips.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

Booked room via Priceline as a 3 star (out of 4). The room info book had something that resembled crusted vomit on the pages and it was wet and sticking to the desk. The bathroom tub had black mildew in the tile grout. The walls are so thin, you can hear the occupants in other rooms. The elevators are not convenient to all rooms and we used the filthy stairwell when loading up to leave to save time of schleping through to the front desk. If you can get the room for under $50/nt, it might be worth it. We heard airplanes all night.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BuffaloRuss, Manager at Millennium Buffalo, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Lori, we are sorry you feel this way. Honestly speaking, "gross" and "crappy" are not the usual feedback we receive from our guests. On the contrary, our high percentage of repeat guests speaks to the overall satisfaction of our past guests. In addition, we are excited about our upcoming renovation and feel all of your concerns will be addressed upon its completion. Until that time, please accept our apologies for your gross and crappy stay. It was not our intention and we hope you will give us another try in 2012!
Kitchener, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

This hotel is not worth any money at all! It was disgusting. No wonder they have to offer food credits to stay there. My family checked-in and the lobby was fairly nice, but the rooms were awful. Once we went up to the room, my family refused to stay in the hotel! The sheets were very poor quality and very thread bare and the pillows were alumpy and about 100 years old. Everything was in VERY poor repair! The carpets and bedspreads were gross! The rooms are in need of a vast renovation. There was also a very strong chemical and paint smell in the room and on the whole floor. I started getting a migraine from the pungent smell. I assume the smell was from the renovations???? (maybe they were working on some other rooms). The room was dark and dingy. I cannot comment on the bathroom as we weren't there long enough to see it. We checked out right away! The location is great if you want to shop, but spend the extra gas money and drive to the shopping from a better quality hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We are sorry you did not stay with us as planned. The $100 for $125 package is one of our most popular promotions. Please see the recent reviews. We are pleased to inform you that a renovation is scheduled for 2012 that will address each and every one of your concerns. Please check our web site for periodic updates and give us another chance when we have completed our renovation. We assure you it will be positive experience and will exceed your expectations!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheektowaga
Home2 Suites by Hilton Buffalo Airport/Galleria Mall
Aloft Buffalo Airport
#4 of 22 in Cheektowaga
Hampton Inn Buffalo-Airport/Galleria Mall
Holiday Inn Express Cheektowaga North East

Been to Millennium Buffalo? Share your experiences!