“Looks don't give it justice”

Comfort Suites Buffalo
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Cheektowaga
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The primary choice for this hotel was because it provided a shuttle that would take you to and from locations around the area. We were there for a wedding and there was a 5 hour open bar. Shuttle was the tie breaker. If you don't know where the hotel is you'll miss the entryway. There is another business that blocks the hotel from road view. The lay out itself is fairly odd. The carpet is old around most of the hotel. If stairs aren't your thing a elevator isn't really handy here in fact i'm not sure they had one. All rooms had no view. The winner was that the rooms were HUGE (if you got the double beds) everything in the room was modern and wasn't really expecting that based on the outside. There is a couch and coffee table, medium fridge, microwave and coffee. Bathrooms were pretty big. In order to turn off the shower you had to have some muscles or the water would cont. to drip. The average score was because for $139 a night I expected much more. The hotel primarily was booked by the two wedding going on so it was a LIVE party till early in the morning. I was surprised that no one shut it down because of the time. It worked great though because everyone was happy. Hallways are pretty warm and lighting is on the dimmer side.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank EvaLady

Reviewed September 9, 2011

On a road trip to Owen Sound, Ontario for a long weekend, my wife and I needed a place to stay near Buffalo. We cashed in Choice Rewards points we had earned through previous stays at Choice Hotels for a night here.

We cruised in fairly late and almost missed the driveway. The hotel is set back from the road and is partially hidden by a vacant office building. There is only a small unlit sign indicating the entrance.

Nothing special but it's an OK place to be for a night, The room seemed like it had been updated within the last two or three years. The air conditioner blew cold and stayed on through the night. The king-sized bed was reasonably comfy and the room amenities were fine. No problems signing on to the free wi-fi in my room. Surprisingly I did not notice any jet noise in the morning, even though this hotel is almost adjacent to the Buffalo airport. There are a few rough edges in the public areas that are beginning to look dated.

The complimentary breakfast buffet was well stocked and included a few hot items along with the usual pastries and bagels. The space where breakfast is served can be a little cramped, however. There was still plenty of food available even though we hit the breakfast bar just a few minutes before it was scheduled to close.

Two things you should know...

First, there is no elevator and the stairways are located at the ends of a lengthy corridor. If climbing a flight of stairs with heavy suitcases is an issue, make sure you request a first floor room when you make your reservation.

Second, this is not, in my humble estimation, a true "suite" hotel. Like a number of other Comfort Suites properties, the rooms here only have a partial half-height room divider between the sleeping area and the living area. I think this is misleading advertising on the part of Choice Hotels, since the rooms in these properties are not true suites. The TV is shared by the two areas--you can swivel it to face one way or the other but it may still prove to be a distraction if you want the kids to fall asleep on the pull-out sofa while you watch a favorite show from your bed. If you want a room that has an actual wall and door between the living and sleeping areas go to the Comfort Suites in downtown Buffalo.

Finally, if I had paid for this room instead of getting it comped through my Choice Rewards points, I would probably dock this hotel one star. The rate for the room I stayed in was advertised at $139/night. If you are paying that much for a hotel room, you should expect something a bit better.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank thirdshf
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We spent 10 days touring New York and Ohio and stayed in 6 different hotels. This was probably our least favorite hotel. The decor of the rooms had been recently updated, and looked pretty good. The flat screen was nice. The beds and bedding were fine, although the pull out bed was extremely uncomfortable, even for a pull out bed! Some of the updates have been poorly executed and the hallways, stairwells, doors, and doorframes are straight from the 1970s. The breakfast was fine and the staff was extra nice. We really liked the pool and hot tub - very nicely maintained. The location is great - right next to the airport. So, it's a mixed bag. This isn't a bad place to stay, but don't expect a fully updated property.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank lovestotravel416
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Hotel is located near airport, shuttle is provided. We had the 2 double bed room. Check in was quick and staff behind the counter were very friendly. Room was very clean except that some of the bathroom wall paper was falling off the wall, The beds were not the greatest, my spouse had some serious back problems for 2 days as a result. You can hear the planes flying over, we expected this- you are staying near an airport. The breakfast room had lots of items and were all replenished. We had checked out early to catch our flight, upon arrival we were informed the flight was delayed 6 hours. We called the hotel and the owner came over in the shuttle and gave us back our room and provided late check out- This is incredible customer service. The hotel offers a great park and fly package. I would have given this place a rating of 5, if were not for the bed situation.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank agac
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Upon arrival on dick road, the reception was friendly, However, little did we suspect, there was much to be discovered. When we entered our room we were greeted by the foul stench of mildew stemming from the deceitful washroom. When one of us tried to turn the a/c on, it began to smoke, causing the smoke alarm to respond! Next, the bathtub contained a pubic hair and none of us had even used it! Also, when it was finally used, the floor of the tub kept creaking! Was I doomed to fall through?! Lastly, we awoke to others' smoke alarms being set off along with randomly timed 'housekeeping' knocking on doors at approximately 9 am. All that remained was the mysterious area known as the beds. The old saying, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite came to mind. Folks, look elsewhere!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Terence B
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I stayed at Comfort Suites a couple of times now, and have had two very different experiences. Overall, I am very pleased with the friendliness of the staff, the cleanliness of the rooms and the overall comfort level that I felt at Comfort Suite. Four stars if you're flying out of Buffalo, 3 if you're staying (see reasons below).

The purpose of my first stay there was to avoid a long drive prior to an early flight at the Buffalo airport. For the second stay, we were exploring Buffalo and surrounding areas. I highly recommend this hotel if you're flying out of Buffalo on an early flight. If you're flying out, the hotel offers a free shuttle service to and from the airport (about a 5 minute drive) and I believe one week free parking on their premises which seems fairly bright, and secure. If, however, you are not flying out early or intended to stay in Buffalo and would like to sleep in, even just a little, I cannot recommend Comfort Suites. The reason is, since the hotel is so close to airport, the early flights WILL wake you up. It does not seem to be a problem in the evening as there seem to be few if any late flights (at least when I was there last). I will say, however, that what sleep I got was pretty good. I should also mention that if you do decide to stay here while staying in town, Comfort Suites is in fairly close proximity to the downtown core and to some must-eat-at "restaurants" like Charlie the Butcher's Kitchen and Anchor Bar. It's about a 20 minute drive to the falls and outlet shopping, but 5 minutes from Walden Galleria.

Comfort Suites offers a continental breakfast if that's your thing, so basically cereal and coffee from 7-10 which I did not have. They also have a fitness room and a swimming pool that seem well maintained, though again, I did not use. Also, for those interested, the decor is nothing to write home about, but it still offers a relaxing atmosphere. There is also free wifi in your room.

So, if you're staying in town and not an early riser, check out a different hotel. But if you're flying out of Buffalo early and would like a place to stay the night before your flight, Comfort Suites offers a relaxing night's sleep and great service at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank The_Arden
Reviewed August 23, 2011

This was such a disappointment! After buying the hotel, I was sent the confirmation email that said the hotel name...so I went to the hotel's site and looked up what I thought was our hotel. Little did I know that there were 2 hotels in that city with the same name...and the one we went to was the wrong one. I was so excited because I thought we were going to a great hotel. But the one we were redirected to was awful.

- First of all, they wouldn't let us have a king bed suite even though our kids don't even sleep on the extra bed, we bring our own pack and plays.

- Secondly, there is a sign posted that says "We are a smoke-free facility". Right as I was reading it, someone opened their hotel window to smoke! And I saw 2 other people smoking right outside the entrance. Yuck.

- Third, our room was disgusting. The appearance looked updated as in new art, comforters, tv. But the cleanliness had much to be desired. The bathroom sink had actual cracks in it! Huge cracks that looked like we shouldn't even use it. The couch had a big stain on the cushion. And the hideaway mattress had a stain on it as well.

- And last, but definitely not least, as we were leaving I saw the most disgusting part of all. One of the hotel staff came outside by our car to empty the outside garbage can. But instead of taking out the plastic bag and replacing it, she just dug into the garbage to remove it into a bin! I almost threw up...it was so disgusting.

Breakfast was fine. We had day old donuts, but I'm not picky about food that much and kids loved it. Also had waffle. Husband had bacon.

Also, just so that you know, the pictures of the outside were photoshopped. This is smack dab in a neighborhood with houses all around.

No elevators either...and we were on second floor with our children.

The fridge and microwave were very outdated...I didn't even want to use them because they looked so old.

Room Tip: No good view. No elevators.