“very satisfactory except for possible 'bed bug' bites”

Holiday Inn Express Buffalo Airport
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Cheektowaga
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I have always found HIE to be satisfactory. This hotel too is very pleasant and staff were friendly. But...the morning after my stayover I developed a LOT of extremely uncomfortable bites up both my arms. The discomfort and itch were so bad that I was eventually advised by a medical professional to go on a cortisone treatment, as the bites developed much like 'bed bug' bites. So I would advise you to stay clear of room 329, in case of possible re-occurence. No other members of my party were affected this way, so whatever the cause, if it is the hotel, it is restricted to room 329.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank jillsToronto

Reviewed August 1, 2009

I wasn't expecting too much when I booked since I just needed a place to sleep while I was in town for a convention! Well it didn't start very well. When I checked in I asked where the elevator was (since I had several heavy work bags) and I was told they didn't have one and my room was on the second floor and there was no other rooms available. So why was I not told this when I made the reservation??????
Anyways, the room was clean and well equipped. The location was great. The continental breakfast (which I didn't even know was included) was surprisingly good. A great selection and the lady keep refilling and changing items. It was such a nice breakfast ! I would return just for the great convenient breakfast! The price was also good so a definate if you are in the area!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank BelaN74
Reviewed July 24, 2009

We loved it at this hotel. The room was simple, but clean. They had a manager's reception with free snacks and drinks (beer & wine) when we arrived and a nice free breakfast in the morning. We didn't really have time to use the pool or look around the hotel, but we were comfortable. Our baby slept so well, we had trouble getting her up in the morning to eat. We'll definitely stay again. The service was wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank cflower101
Reviewed July 5, 2009

A nice hotel with well appointed rooms. If you stay for any length of time, you begin to notice problems. I am not a fan of Holiday Inns. They are a cheap hotel chain. Instead of building new hotels, they buy old ones and refurb them. This is fine except they end up using the old blueprint and can't get it right.

Examples, the door way is tight and you have to struggle to get in. They used the old doors and you can see the old chip marks and lock mechanism marks. The huge a very nice curtain assembly came undone by simply pulling the curtain closed. The 50lbs assembly was held up to the ceiling with just one screw which was simply drilled into the ceiling plaster and not a beam.
The bathroom tile was poorly laid and greatly uneven. They filled the big gaps in with extra caulk.
The bathroom was tiny due to the old design being probably from the 50s. The bathroom sink was laid uneven and water dripped from it. The toilet paper holder was so far behind me I simply removed from the holder.
There is no elevator to the second floor so one has to hall their stuff up stairs. If your flying anywhere, this may mean you have a lot of luggage to hall up about 15 stairs and when you get to the top, there is a doorway which is to tight. Expect several trips up and down stairs.

The beds are very very comfortable but they only have thick pillows. I cranked my neck sleeping on them. Most 3 star hotels have a great variety.
There is a nice 32 inch LCD tv but it is a Philips. I timed how long it took to change channels at 3 seconds. Very very annoying!

My room was next to the housekeeping office. They dont think to make the doors soft closers, so for two days their door slammed about 25 times between 7 and 9 am. After I complained I saw someone taping the door frame to make it quieter. How about a doorstop?

Buffalo and the whole area is full of great restaurants. I ordered lasagna from a local restaurant and had the most incredible salad of my life! I think it was called Prieros. It is a very small new restaurant with a fantastic Italian atmosphere. Make a right at the Mobil station and drive about 2 miles. OMG!

I found most people to be very friendly in the BUffalo Niagara area.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank planes12
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We landed late after flight delays and missed the turn for this hotel, and were grateful for the clean, comfortable room. Nothing special about this hotel, and no complaints. Breakfast was better/more varied than the hotel website indicated.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2009

Went to Buffalo for a weekend of shopping. We were looking for a hotel that was relatively inexpensive and close to the shopping spots we were going to. The Holiday Inn was pretty cheap - we stayed in a non-smoking, King-size bedroom.

The room had a mini fridge and microwave. No bathtub, just a standing shower. Bed was very comfortable. Flat-screen tv! The room itself was pretty generic - could've been cleaner, but it was fine. We only used the room to sleep.

A complimentary breakfast was included each morning - typical stuff like toast, bagels, muffins, cereal, yogurt and fruit. The hot food alternated each day from bacon, scrambled eggs, gravy & biscuit (must be an American thing) and sausage patties. It was o.k. Enough to tide you over until lunch.

The only negative thing from our stay was that we happened to be staying on the same floor as a school group -- and it was annoyingly loud ALL night with teenage girls running through the halls, slamming doors and screaming. Their adult supervisors having little to no effect "monitoring" the halls. Very annoying until about 11:30pm when another patron called the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed December 11, 2008

This hotel is new and decent...but the location is near the airport and has been built next to a abandon parking industrial lot. They had free beer and snacks when I arrived on a manager wecome day. This location is kinda depressing, just hope your flight is on time, to get crap out of cheektowaga!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)