“I want to live here!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Cheektowaga
northern NY
“I want to live here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2008

This place was great! I brought my own blankets because you know, usually they are pretty gross at any hotel I've ever stayed in. Didn't need to use them. The bed was absolutely fantabulous! More comfortable then my own bed at home. The sheets and blankets were also comfortable. The rooms are set up quite nicely. I stayed in a king suite, had a pull out sofa, coffee table, desk, 2 phones, tv/stand. A lil kitchen area with sink, microwave, coffee maker and cuboards, in the cuboards there were even dishes! I've never seen that before. Oh and a fridge. The bathrooms was great... The shower is something else I've never seen before, it is kind of it's own seperate rooom within the bathroom. Shower had great pressure and 4 different options for how the water sprays. Towels were big and fluffy! They have 2 computers in the lobby for guest to use, the lobby is HUGE, They have a great breakfast bar free to guest and almost like a lil diner with the tables and chairs set up, each has it's own lil candle....how cute. The whirlpool was great! I didn't go in the pool (only because I don't like to swim) But I sat out there quite a bit reading. The pool is awesome, it has three different roped off sections, The first being 1 foot deep for the lil ones, the second is 3 feet deep...for the kinda bigger kids and the third is 5 and 6 feet deep. I will definately visit this hotel with my children...that's the best pool setup I've ever seen. The staff was great...very helpful. When you just pass them in the hall they all are very nice and ask how you are. I was a little scared visiting Buffalo, it is a much bigger city then I'm used to but I was comforted by the fact that you must use your room key to access the building. The only door you don't need it for is the main entrance.

• Liked — I loved EVERYTHING
  • Disliked — really there was nothing to dislike...
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

Stayed at that hotel one night and no complaints... Very large rooms with extra nice bathrooms. Nice furniture with very comfortable beds. Extra nice pool area with large size hot tub. Overall, it was a very pleasant stay. Will return again.

• Stayed July 2007
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2008

My family and I came up for my little brother's graduation at SUNY Buffalo. My older brother made the reservations and had chosen this hotel for us after reading the reviews on tripadvisor. Check-in was a breeze, front desk staff was very nice and helpful. My husband and I stayed in an adjoining room next to my family (rms 304 & 302), which was nice because our room also had a mini fridge and microwave (came in handy for reheating some leftover dinner the next day). In fact, there was even a microwaveable container and disposable plates for convenience. Rooms also have complimentary wi-fi, and the access code is posted on the desk for convenience.

Like the previous reviewer stated, the shower in the bathroom is cornered off in it's own area, with the wall blocking the water from spraying out. However, because there is no curtain, this can cause the shower to get a bit chilly or will take time to steam up the shower. The shower floor looked like it had a bit of soap scum, not mildewy, but definitley not sparkling clean. My hubby and I wore shower shoes for that.

The bed was very soft (if you like soft mattresses), and so were the pillows. There is some sort of HI branding on the amenties (something called "Simply Smart"), so the towels are embroidered with "Soft" on them, the pillowcases have "soft" and "firm" on them, and even the soap has "cleanse" written on it. Doesn't add to the quality of the product, but I thought this was a nice touch. I'm ok sleeping on a soft mattress, and must say it was one of the best sleeps I've had in a long time. I didn't experience the airport noise that other reviews have commented on.

My husband and I checked out the gym (24hrs) and the pool (open til 11pm), both which require the key to swipe in for entry. Gym had an elliptical, treadmill, universal machine, and small TV from what I saw (hubby did the working out there). The gym, which is on the 2nd floor, overlooks the pool area, on the 1st floor. Pool is a decent size, depth from 3 to 5 feet, good for families. There was also a hot tub on the side, which was good and warm. Jets were not as powerful as I usually am used to, but it was average. Complimentary pool towels, so you don't have to lug around the hotel towel. NOTE: there was no lifeguard on duty while I was there, and I am not sure if there is ever a staff member watching... something to consider if you have young kids that want to wander the pool area unsupervised.

The complimentary breakfast (6:30am - 9:30am) was average and ordinary: bagels, toast, muffins, waffles (pre-made on the shelf, not make-your-own), cereal. Hot foods: sausage, biscuit, eggs (which my brother found a little 'powdery'), oatmeal packets. Drinks: tea, coffee, juices, milk. TV to watch the morning news in the breakfast room. Not a fancy breakfast, but saved us a trip to Dunkin Donuts to grab a similarly comparable breakfast for the road-trip home. I saw staff constantly changing out the trays and refilling, so it's good to see that the food mgmt area was kept tidy.

Why I didn't give 5/5 rating:
- Our wake up call was late! We asked for a 6am call, and got a call at 6:30. Good thing we weren't catching a flight, that would have been a problem!
- The somewhat chilly shower (see above).
- The shower floor (see above)

• Liked — Overall Value
  • Disliked — Overall shower situation
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Northeast US
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

I'm a frequent visitor to Holiday Inn Express because usually the price is right, the hotel building is decent, and as a member of their rewards program, might as well rack up the points. This hotel was fine in location, looks, etc. The bathroom is totally spacious, with the toilet and shower in their own separate "rooms". This results in the shower not having a curtain or anything, so it gets a little chilly, but that's minor.

My only complaint is that the noise of a kids' hockey team staying there was awful! Ok, it's Buffalo, you're probably going to encounter hockey, but what happened to manners? I can't blame the hotel itself, and I do say that they did everything they could to try and keep the noise down, including imposing a quiet time after 9 PM every night. It wasn't followed to the minute, but kids were told to keep it down not long after. But be forewarned, the walls and doors aren't sound proof, so you will hear people in the hall, etc if it's busy enough. Probably what made me shake my head the most were the parents yelling down the hall to kids just as much as the kids were yelling back and forth. Gone are the days of common courtesy.

Overall though, I recommend this hotel, especially if you're using the airport. It's right across the street, but it's not busy enough to hear planes all the time - I only heard them during the day, and not until after 7 AM. And even then, it was only a handful, well spaced out.

• Liked — Easy on and off the highway
  • Disliked — The noise of the kids staying there
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank JrzyJeepGirl
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2008

Stayed overnight before an early morning flight out (canceled, but that's another story). Rooms are pretty good - comfortable beds and pillows and a good size. Ours was missing the clock radio which was a bit annoying (called about it but never got one). Buffet breakfast is included and is quite acceptable. Only negative was the check-in person who just mumbled everything and didn't seem to listen too well. Watch out if you expect to be able to leave your car at the hotel while you're away - that is a special rate and it doesn't appear as an option on the likes of Travelocity. There is an economy lot behind the hotel. Would probably stay here again.

• Liked — This is an airport hotel not a destination hotel!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2008

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at the Buffalo Airport. This is a pretty standard, but all together very nice HI express hotel. I stayed in an "accessable" room because I am on crutches after recent knee surgery. I found the special bathroom very handy. It included a slightly lower sink, and grab handle bars near the toilet and shower.
The room was clean and the bed and pillows were pretty comfortable. I didnt' use the wireless internet on this trip, so I can't comment on it. I didn't eat dinner near the hotel but I did really didnt' see anything that looked to great nearby. The hotel is right outside the airport gates, so it is very good for people travelling.
In the morning there was a very nice breakfast spread, (pretty much the same as every HI Express).
If you're used to staying at HI Express hotels, you will be very satisfied with this property!

Stayed February 2008
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2008

We booked this hotel because of the proximity to the Buffalo airport - we were flying out to the Florida Keys. Some of our children were driving to the hotel to meet us there, to fly out with us.
We received excellent check-in service and they went out of their way to accommodate us by making certain that activated keys were available for the members of our family who had not yet arrived.
The complimentary breakfast was very good with lots of assortment ranging from bacon, eggs, yogurt, cereal, toast, bagels, juice tea and coffee, etc.
The shuttle service to the airport and long term parking were what made this hotel outstanding for us. Both the shuttle delivery to the airport and pick up from the airport were wonderful. The drivers were exceptionally helpful. There were 7 people traveling in our party including an infant and both drivers went out of their way to make things very easy for us with our luggage. For this reason alone, I highly recommend this hotel to travelers who are flying out of the Buffalo airport - they made our life much easier!

Stayed February 2008