“Disappointed...”

Best Western The Inn at Buffalo Airport
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Cheektowaga
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I booked this hotel several months prior to arrival (for 10 travellers) and had to call to adjust the file a few times. The contact on the phone (Paul.) was very pleasant and helpful, but when we arrived for check in...
They are in the middle of renovations in the front lobby, so it wasn't the ideal stay (breakfast area shrouded in plastic etc). Our bookings were mixed up and the front desk tried to overcharge when it came to the parking fee. I had to firmly advise them for each booking just to make sure they had it correct as we had double and triple priced rooms (yes...the price is different).
The rooms were very dated and the amenities needed improvements. Extended parking is off site. Shuttle driver was pleasant and helpful.
Probably would not stay here again...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Karen D
Best Western A, Manager at Best Western The Inn at Buffalo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for your review of our property. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have had while you stayed with us. Thank you for your patience while we are remodeling, we are improving our hotel so that we can better serve our guests. Please contact us directly if you have any questions.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Love this hotel I always stay at a best western and have neer been dissatisfied I continue to always visit them due to the fact that I always get great service the rooms are always clean and the staff is always courteous and friendly and knowledgeable about the area that I visit

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Best Western A, Manager at Best Western The Inn at Buffalo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Reviewed March 3, 2014

March 3, 2014
I would like to provide a review on our recent stay at the Best Western, the Inn at Buffalo Airport.

We purchased our park and fly package from Best Western through Expedia. We had specifically requested a park and fly package from March 3 to March 12, 2014. The Expedia representative confirmed with our family that we were purchasing that package.
We arrived at the hotel and immediately were told by the general manager, Paulo Nazarro, that there would be an $80 surcharge for parking. I provided Mr. Nazarro with my confirmation email and he told me that they do not authorize Expedia to sell parking. Mr. Nazarro then proceeded to get into an argument with me in front of other customers about the payment. The details of this argument are discussed in further detail below.

During our communication, Mr. Nazarro that only he was authorized to provide me with the parking pass and make any decisions regarding the booking. He told me that I “could find another hotel if I was unhappy with the parking arrangements at the hotel”. As a loyal customer to Best Western, I asked him if he was concerned about losing my business and he assured me that he was not, because at the end of the day he was going to get my money anyways (as I had prepaid with Expedia). He also mentioned that this was a common issue with Expedia, which we witnessed when two other families who were checking in on March 3 were having the same issue as ours. He was requesting $80 from each of them as well. Clearly, if this is a frequent problem with Expedia, the problem should be dealt with by the hotel and not by the customers. In the long run, if it’s a continual problem that cannot be resolved, it may be a good idea to remove the listing from Expedia. Although you may lose a few customers, you will not have many unhappy customers. Unsatisfied customers are much more influential in suggesting hotels than happy customers, as word of mouth of in this digital world is very important. In our eyes, it looked as if he was preying on families who had no other choice but to pay the $80 since they could not cancel their reservation without losing their money.

In addition, Mr. Zazarro told us that he could not waive the fee since he had no more parking spots, however he contradicted us by offering to sell us the space for $80. He continued to argue with us that it is because of the Canadian March break that he is so busy. However, as a teacher who works across Canada, I told him that this week was not March Break and that perhaps families were just leaving early for the break, and I was responded with the statement that “I knew nothing”.

My position at work is to fly across Canada providing educational testing to students, and as a result I am continually traveling. Whenever given the option, I ask to book with Best Western because of the clean rooms and excellent customer service. Many hotels have become second homes to me, and on several occasions, the staff have went above and beyond to meet my needs during my stays. Furthermore, as a loyal customer, I even held my wedding at a Best Western. Although this will not affect my choice to stay at other Best Western locations, it will influence my decision on where I will stay in the future when flying out of Buffalo. In my opinion, Mr. Nazarro is not representative of what Best Western stands for, from my experience. Today, on our way out, we saw him helping other customers checking in. He was dressed in a bright green NY ball cap and purple, baggy jogging pants. Although he said it was his day off, I do not feel that a manager should be helping staff in that attire. As well, he was smoking outside of the front of the building while greeting individuals arriving to the hotel. He did not say hello to us, nor give us a friendly smile.

Furthermore, my family and I have owned two resorts for over twenty years, so I am more than familiar with customer service in the hospitality industry. I know that Mr. Nazarro could have handled the situation in a more constructive manner. I suggest that he begin by apologizing for not resolving the issue with Expedia, and offer to waive what he considered the parking fee not included in the package. He could then have let us know that for future travel to book directly with the hotel, and that he would contact Expedia to further look into the situation. This would have saved a lot of trouble on our end, and would have saved other customers from viewing this argument. In the end, Mr. Nazarro had me in tears.

I did not complain about the dental sticks I found beside our bed, the broken light, or the leaky faucet that would not stop during our stay because these are not as important as staff members acting professionally at their job. In the end, in my opinion, Mr. Nazarro is not professional and does not represent the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Angela B
Best Western A, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western The Inn at Buffalo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

It deeply troubles us to read about your experience during your stay. For such an incident to happen to a loyal customer who has stayed with us numerous times is simply unacceptable and it will not go unnoticed. Please accept our heartfelt apology for what happened. The way that your issue was dealt with is definitely not something we want our guests to encounter. We will personally investigate this matter and ensure that Mr. Nazarro and all of our staff members will be aware of how important our guests are and the proper way to treat each and every one of you. We appreciate that you shared your experience with us so that we can be aware of and act on it immediately. Thank you for your suggestions on how to resolve the issue with Expedia. We will reevaluate our process when it comes to customers booking through other means and not directly at our hotel.
We are really hoping that you will give us another chance to show you that we listen to your feedback and we act on it. Please come visit us again and allow us to make it up to you and provide you with an experience befitting the name of Best Western.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

i had spent years and years "on the road" with The Miss Canada programme but since my accident have not done much travelling. my stay at your hotel and especially the service will make it a definitive for next year

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This hotel is very convenient to the Buffalo airport and is nice and clean. Rooms are comfortable and a nice size with microwaves and fridges as well.

Shuttle to and from the airport is a pleasure to use. Very quick service, less than 10 minutes wait for pick up on the return trip.

Breakfast to go wasn't so good, would do without in the future, but I'm sure the continental breakfast offered would be fine if we had had time to sit down at the hotel and enjoy it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Best Western A, Manager at Best Western The Inn at Buffalo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Rooms had a strange smell maybe because they are renovating. Beds were quite comfortable. Breakfast area is small and the scrambled eggs and sausages were tasteless. Look at other options before selecting this hotel. It is okay only for a late night check-in and early morning departure.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Best Western A, Manager at Best Western The Inn at Buffalo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Reviewed February 22, 2014

we were flying out of the Buffalo airport and wanted to be near the airport , 2 min away, free shuttle. The breakfast was okay, but the eggs and sausage were below our standards, fresh fruit, yogurt, muffins, and a clean area to eat your breakfast

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Best Western A, Manager at Best Western The Inn at Buffalo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Thank you for your review of our property and for your patience while we are remodeling, we are improving our hotel so that we can better serve our guests. Please contact us directly if you have any questions.