“If you want "old Chautauqua" and outstanding hospitality this is the spot.”

Chautauqua Institution, Cambridge Annex
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chautauqua
Chautauqua Institution, Cambridge Annex
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Chautauqua
Reviewed May 6, 2011

This is the quintessential "old Chautauqua" located in the heart of the grounds and near Bestor Plaza. The owners and staff are experts at hospitality.
The place is "shabby chic" and staying there a delightful step into the past.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank glaciercb

Reviewed September 7, 2010

Gross. Musty smelling, black mold growing on the sink, spider webs on the windows, one broken window pane, accumulation of dust all around the bed and on the plastic flowers which surround the place. Windows were unopen-able. Shower down the hall was sadly substandard.
"Breakfast": poor quality, sugary convenience snacks.
Service: mostly unavailable. Good grief. No, I would not recommend this place. I do love vintage, but this place is rundown, tacky, unclean.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Bartlett777
Reviewed August 18, 2010

The only nice thing I can say about the Cambridge is it's location. Other than that, the place is, in a word, terrible.
The basic problem with the Cambridge is the owners obviously made a decision some time ago to treat the property as a cash cow and take as much money out as they could. They have not invested in renovations of any kind (showers, toilets, sinks, lighting, etc), updates of appliances (toasters, microwaves, air conditioners, etc), or furniture (tables, chairs, dressers, etc) that would enhance their customers' experience. They market the rooms as "vintage" but their words are putting lipstick on a pig.
Most (and in fairness not all) of our group was extremely disappointed in our stay at the Cambridge. If the property had been cared for and maintained properly it would undoubtedly stand out as one of the most charming housing options on the grounds. But it has been allowed to deteriorate terribly, and this is a true travesty.
My advice to potential visitors: avoid this place!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Jamesbeverly1
Reviewed August 25, 2008

The Cambridge is, I believe, one of the least expensive B&B's on the Chautauqua grounds...honestly, it is really not a B&B- no breakfast is served. The only "breakfast" you'll get is your choice of extremely high fat and sugar desserts that you can find in vending machines. They do have some cereal as well and individual bottles of OJ, but I would not go so far as to call this a B&B for that reason.
The host is very nice and helpful. I stayed in the Annex. The room was clean, but old and musty smelling. I had to spray my body spray everywhere to help get rid of this odd musty old smell that was all over the room. The room reminded me of staying in a very old and cheap "hotel" or "hostel" in NYC, where you have the ceramic sink in your room and you share a bathroom down the hall....speaking of which, the bathroom was fairly clean (could have been cleaner- I like spotless!! this was not spotless!), but it seemed that it was only cleaned once during my almost week-long stay. The room was airconditioned and the AC worked well. The bed was average in terms of how comfortable it was. Even with the AC, however, the room always seemed damp. I was given new towels every-other day. They did not change the sheets on my bed at all while I was there.
The room served it's purpose which, for me, was to find the cheapest place possible to stay while I was there, that was safe. I would not recommend this place to honeymooners, or couples looking for a romantic retreat. This is a very very basic stay kind of a place- only stay here if you don't plan on spending a lot of time in your room- and you plan on mostly just using it to sleep and that's it.
Showers - there was one with no hot water at all. I had to change to another bathroom AFTER getting undressed and putting all my bath supplies in the shower....
Internet- I was able to get internet from a place next store (wireless unsecured network). Had no problems.
Bikes- they do have bikes for your use.
Location- the location is great- it's right behind the main square where everything happens.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank operadivaprincess
Reviewed July 20, 2006

We stayes several days in the Cambridge Annex which is on the grounds of the Chautauqua Institute. The Cambridge annex is an 1860's or there abouts boarding house which is behind the main Cambridge building. Our room on the 2nd floor was clean. The furnishings were older, kind of dumpy, some saggy wall paper and stained ceiling tiles. The linens were new and crisp. The bathroom down the hall has been remodeld and was kept clean. 3 times a week you are given new towels. This is a shared bath. There were 2 more shared baths downstairs which we could also use.

Downstairs and outside is the kitchen area which consists of a refridgerator, microwave, sink, dishes, silverware complementary breakfast food and some snacks. There was also a nice covered patio area where we took all of our meals.

The Cambridge is on the grounds of the Chautauqua Institute close the the main shopping square. The price is $85 per night. The hosts are friendly and accomodating. We would stay there again.

Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank Traveltrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chautauqua
The Spencer Hotel and Spa
The Spencer Hotel and Spa
#5 of 6 in Chautauqua
Hampton Inn & Suites Jamestown
Comfort Inn Jamestown Falconer
Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown
Americas Best Value Inn Jamestown
Holiday Inn Express Findley Lake

Been to Chautauqua Institution, Cambridge Annex? Share your experiences!