“Kittle House A delightful respite”

Crabtree's Kittle House
Ranked #1 of 1 Chappaqua B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Kittle House A delightful respite”
Reviewed November 1, 2009

I recently spent two nights at the recently renovated Kittle House and found it to be delightful, and a bargain. The service was very courteous, and my room was quaint...very clean, spacious and light. A real country inn feel. The restaurant has just been completely renovated, and is beautiful, maintaining the historic charm, with a more modern feel. we ate there one night and the food, wine etc were superb. There is a young new chef (don't remember his name) whose food was great. The entire Kittle House had a younger feel to it, than when we last visited a few years ago.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FoodProNewJersey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 21, 2009

No hot water in the bathroom sink is not only unacceptable, but I get it's a health code violation too! No excuses, especially when apparently there were other rooms available AND we were told it would be fixed while we were out to dinner. No one on duty when we returned and no innkeeper answered the emergency late-night phone! And....the owner didn't seem to care much.

• Liked — Location and Food/Wine
  • Disliked — Filth, lack of hot water, lack of concern of the owner.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lulupearl
Mahopac, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Kittle house for 2 nights. I have heard soo many wonderful things about the place, I had to experience it for myself. The inn wasn't as new as I had expected, but it had lots of character and great charm. The front desk staff was very accommodating to our needs. They seemed to welcome you in as if you were part of their family. Dinner was a bit high in price, but i didn't mind paying b/c the qaulity of food was excellent. They have a lovely continental breakfast in the morning with cereals, fresh fruit and breads. I found out the Inn was also pet friendly. I will bring the dog next time.

• Liked — The character and charm
  • Disliked — There was no pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Northern NJ
Reviewed June 23, 2008

It has been my pleasure to stay 4 nights a week at The Kittle House for the last 11 months (since July 2007).

Throughout my stay, I have been impressed with the friendliness and generosity of proprietors John and Amy Crabtree and the high level of professionalism of The Kittle House staff. It is always nice to be greeted by name by the staff and given a warm welcome each week at check-inb.

High praise goes to Chef Kevin Bertrand and the kitchen staff for consistently producing dishes that taste as good as they look - and for being flexible enough to meet my dietary needs.

The Kittle House's 80,000 bottle wine cellar is unparalleled - be sure to ask for a tour from sommelier Steve or managers Glenn, Gustavo and Leo. Each has a deep knowledge of and love for great food and wine.

Reasonably priced, I highly recommend The Kittle House to usiness travelers and visitors to Westchester.

• Liked — Friendliness and professionism of the staff.
  • Disliked — Only 13 rooms in the Inn.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Long Island
Reviewed June 15, 2008

We stayed at the Kittle House last night for the first time and it was certainly our last time! The girl at the desk was nice. She checked us in and handed us the key to our room. She told us to walk up the stairs, down the long hallway and then down the back stairs to our room.

The first thing I noticed that the area rug by the check-in desk was black with filty and the carpet going up the stairs and in the hallway was filthy! It was worn and dirty, black with dirt. Looks like the original carpet from the 1790s that had never been cleaned! The hallway was dingy and the floors were creaky. It smelled very musty. Walking down the stairs to our room, we noticed a hutch holding some knick-knacks and the hutch was covered with about an inch of dust.

The walls along the hallway looked like they had holes that has been poorly patched up and spackled. The frame around our bedroom door was broken and splintered.

Our room was musty, the bathroom was very simple. There was rust around the tub. The air conditioner in the room was loud. The bed was uncomfortable.

I would have loved to just check out and get my money back but we had gotten there late (around 9 p.m.) and it was pouring rain, so we just hung in there and stayed.

We went to the bar downstairs to get out of our gross room and went to the bar. My husband ordered a pecan pie and a coffee. I was so turned off, I couldn't eat anything.

We went back to the room, went to sleep, got up early and checked out. I wouldn't even eat breakfast there, I felt that the place was so dusty and dirty.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty, musty and very outdated. In desperate need of a full renovation
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EJMomLongIsland
East Lansing, MI
Reviewed July 8, 2007

The foyer and its surroundings were elegant and had that historic feel. The floorboards creeked, the service was personal and the bar was wooden and warm. The restaurant looked inviting but I didn't eat there.
Our room (I traveled with a co-worker) was large and had everything we needed. However, true to Grandma's house, it was a little stuffy and a bit tired. It was clean, stocked with soap, shampoo, etc., and perfectly adequate and I think we both slept well. But, it wasn't luxury either. The beds were a little squashy and the fixtures were tired. The doorknob was loose, for example.
The long hallway leading to our room was really narrow and a little creepy. Our room was in a wing that felt like an addition and wasn't really inviting.
Breakfast is included in the room and the breakfast room is airy with windows and the breakfast choices were good - yogurt, fresh bread, etc.
All said, though, I would stay there again because it was comfortable enough and a beautiful old place.

• Liked — The bar and the foyer
  • Disliked — The long, creepy hallway leading to the room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank ELHappyCamper
New York
Reviewed August 26, 2006

We just returned from a visit to Purchase New York and stayed two nights at the Kittle House. Unfortunately I can only give it an okay review because of the following:

What was good about the Kittle House: It was close to where we needed to be and has an award winning restaurant. It is a wine lovers paradise and offers an extensive wine list to study (it comes in a 3-inch binder!) with many varieties to indulge oneself. We experienced an enjoyable dinner there. The breakfast that comes with the room consisted of coffee, juice, tea, cold cereals, muffins, rolls, yogurt and fresh strawberries and blueberries.

What wasn't so good: Our room smelled old and musty (as well as the long hallway one must walk along in order to get to the room). The bathroom was old and worn; there was no shelving to set anything down (except the back of the toilet) and no hooks to hang clothing or bath towels on. One window overlooked the parking lot and the dumpster the other the back patio and adjacent golf course. Over one of the beds was closed-off but not locked attic access that made us feel a little unnerved the first night and the window air-conditioner was loud.

The room was certainly spacious but the musty smell, old bathromm and the security concern means that we would not stay at this inn again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Musty Odor of the room and hallways
  • Tips/Secrets — This is a one-night stay, port in the storm type of accomodation not a relaxing place to be
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank lexitraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chappaqua
Holiday Inn Mt. Kisco (Westchester Cty)
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Castle Hotel & Spa
Castle Hotel & Spa
#6 of 7 in Tarrytown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Armonk Westchester Cnty Apt

Been to Crabtree's Kittle House? Share your experiences!