“A warm and charming home away from home”

Crabtree's Kittle House
Ranked #1 of 1 Chappaqua B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Pleasant, professional staff; capacious comfortable rooms; dazzling chef and spectacular wine list. We've stayed here many, many times and never been anything but delighted. Breakfast and a warm welcome included!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Crabtree's Kittle House

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I love the Kittle House. From the time that you round the bend and first see the stately building to the time that you are greeting in the hall by the wonderful owner John Crabtree, your time at the Kittle House is well spent. The food is delicious, the service impeccable and the family is a delight. I love to bring out of town guests to the Kittle House as I am never disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Mark Lippman's flexibility and talent are reflected in the playful menu which goes from 'food comforting' standards-- have a hamburger or BBQ chicken--to more sophisticated tasty line-caught fish. The serving staff is accommodating with no trace of attitude. Deserts are amazing.

Now the wine: no question the owners are serious about maintaining their wine credentials, but it is shameful not to offer more bottles in the lower price range, particularly since there's a huge growth of good wine of that out there. Can't we all get along--those who want to drop three hundred on a great bottle and those who want to drink something pleasant that isn't off the chart?

We're definitely coming back for this terrific chef.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This B and B is located in a great area. The grounds are beautiful. However, we will never stay here again.

We stayed here for three nights while visiting family in upstate New York. This place is dirty and rundown. Our room was missing screens, there were stains on the bathroom floor and in the tub.The breakfast consisted of either toast, a muffin or a bowl of oatmeal. The woman at the desk, Betty, was extremely rude and even chatted with us at breakfast about "the ridiculous" complaints from other guests. The icing on the cake was when the handyman decided to stain the outside of the door to our room and never communicated it to us (nor did he put out a "wet paint" sign}. We ended up with stain on our hands and clothing.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Tammy L
Reviewed July 8, 2012

If the owners of this amazing location payed as much attention to their hotel as they clearly do to the wine and food service, it would be an all-round fantastic experience. Unfortunately although we enjoyed the decor and ambiance downstairs, the same cannot be said for the rooms. As soon as you head up the stairs, you detect the lack of investment. The carpet is old and worn. The air conditioning units in the rooms are old, noisy and generally in need of replacement. The room was not exactly clean. There were stains in the bathroom and overall it just wasn't an enjoyable overnight experience, which was such a let down after the amazing experience downstairs in the bar/restaurant and garden. Charged $184 for the one night. Breakfast was a similar let down. A choice of oatmeal or granola, coffee or tea and that was all that was included, which given the room rate, is not exactly competitive.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FairLady80
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My son's wedding was held at Crabtree's Kittle House. If there was enough space, I would write all the fabulous comments our friends and family have made to us regarding how spectacular they thought the food and service was at this lovely venue. The chef and his staff delivered beyond our expectations. It is not often that you have food that does not taste "mass produced" at a large event. Yet, the chef managed to prepared a dinner for over 100 people that tasted as if he cooked especially for each of us. And, people raved during and after the wedding about the incredible service. Many of us had not experienced this type of professional and well trained service staff for years. It is sad that the public no longer expects this. Gustavo was responsible for managing our event. He should be extremely pleased with the performance of his team. I am writing this review as it is the best way for me to say thank you and show how much I appreciate all they did to make this event one of our family's most memorable. Mother of the Groom

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FrequenttravelerMD
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night as part of a long weekend trip in the Hudson Valley. I picked it because of the restaurant on site. I was a little hesitant after reading all of the reviews about the noise; I even brought ear plugs! When I booked, I was asked if I was part of wedding party and when I said No the woman said she would try to make sure I was away from any noise. As it turned out, there was a wedding the day we arrived but it was an afternoon wedding and everyone was gone by 4pm so it wasn't a problem. But if it had gone into the evening I can see how it would have been very annoying since our room was directly above the reception room which led to an outside "overflow" area with tables which was right below our window. But the room itself was perfectly fine and a nice size. Hallways were very narrow and old-looking which one would expect in an old inn. The receptionist at check-in was very young and pleasant but wasn't able to tell us much about how to get to places in the area. The woman at the desk the next morning was much more knowledgeable. The restaurant was very nice but pricey (as I expected; no surprises). The location is off the beaten path and there wasn't really anything close by to walk to and nearest shopping area was at least 10 min away by car. Overall, this inn met our needs and I had no complaints; it just wasn't anything special.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chappaqua
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Holiday Inn Mt. Kisco (Westchester Cty)
Courtyard by Marriott Tarrytown Westchester County
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Hawthorne
SpringHill Suites Tarrytown Greenburgh
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester

Been to Crabtree's Kittle House? Share your experiences!