“Simply Amazing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Chappaqua B&B and Inns
U.S
“Simply Amazing”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

If you need a hotel in upsate New York, ths is it. I first had reservations as I pulled up. This place is old. Built in 1790 with tons of history. Then, Once you get in your room, (only 12 rooms), you realize you are in another time. The history of this place is amazing. Fany Brice bought the bar that is there for Dutch Shultz, back when this was a speakeasy.The rooms are huge (except 2E), and have all the features of a new Hilton. What the Hilton doesn't have is one of the best resturants in NY. A bit pricey, but worth it. And the wine selection is unbelievable. The owner John Crabtree was nice enough to show us the wine cellar. With over 60,000 bottles, this is one of the largest and best colleections in the WORLD!!!!!!!. yes WORLD!!!! I am guessing, but over 10 million in wine. Do not miss this place!!! It is an experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TMJETS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New York
Reviewed March 10, 2012

If you don't decide to stay here, atleast come for the food! Dinner here is amazing, flavor and ambiance alike. We stayed here the weekend of Christmas and it was quite busy but we enjoyed observing all the social festivities that was going on. The Clinton family even had dinner here during our stay and we were completely unaware of it even though we were staying just above the restaurant on the second floor! Our room was quite small, but the bathroom was nice and spacious, with a charming footed tub.T he room definitely had the bed and breakfast charm we were looking for. We had some problems with the heating in the room initially, which was controlled centrally downstairs. We had to call the front desk a few times to have them turn the heat up since the room was cold. They were good with our request and turned the heat on right away. The complimentary breakfast was adequate, with coffee, and a few choices of bread, cereal and yogurt, but nothing to write home about. The inn keeper (I think her name was Betty) was very nice and extremely helpful. We had asked the restaurant to keep our left overs in their fridge for us and when we checked out the next day, she went out of her way to help us find the brown paper bag. We didn't end up finding it but she even went as far as letting us into the kitchen (which was very clean and organized) and let us peek in the refrigerators to see if we could find it. Anyhow, we had a pleasant stay overall. It did get a bit noisy on Christmas eve but we didn't mind as much as we knew it was a holiday weekend and the noise had died down around 11pm in time for bedtime. Next time, I would much prefer to stay in one of the larger rooms.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed March 2, 2012

First of all, when we got there, apparently a transformer had blown and they had minimal power. They had SO many candles set up in the dining room which made it very romantic. So my husband and I had some desert there. I had the pineapple with strawberry ice which was light and refreshing. My husband had the Kittle Crack Pie and let me tell you, that was heaven on earth. OMG, so good! FYI, live piano player in the bar Friday and Saturday. He's very good!
Anyway, back to the hotel. They helped us in with our numerous heavy bags and turned on the lights. Such a homey room. Very comfortable and well, just perfect. We had hotel service and what is more like a bed and breakfast.
Betty and Leo will make you feel most welcome. They are amazing hosts and just all-around great people. I felt very comfortable there!

Room Tip: I prefer the older part of the hotel - but just for nostalgia - nothing more :)
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gillicanty
Reviewed January 24, 2012

This was such a treat to come upon this treasure of an inn. I was up on biz in Manhattan from Florida and my girlfriend knew we had one night to getaway before back to the hustle & bustle. Well let me just tell you that after we got checked in and dropped our things off in the room that was utterly impressive we wondered downstairs to the cozy bar and they had a fire going in the fireplace just bliss..then as we ordered a glass of wine the lovely bartender asked if we would like a tour of the wine cellar. Which being a wine lover it was less than a second that we accepted...what a treat that was indeed. Had bottles dating back to 1900. The gentleman that gave us the tour was so friendly,patient and had great knowledge on theiir collection. This is a must see & do! Can go on & on about this inn and will if you like here is my email. Lol kidding but must add next time we are having dinner there for sure! We were lucky enough to have the honor to sample out there new breakfast menu...all j van say is take my word and experience it for yourself. I am still in awwww and Mmmmm!

• Stayed January 2012
New York, USA
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Have you ever been in a relationship that started with some mutual suspicion or even hostility, but became warm and affectionate? Such was my recent experience with Crabtree's Kittle House. My wife and I were invited to a family event nearby and wished to find a comfortable inn for the night before. We booked here through an online bed and breakfast service. However, when our daughter, who attends school out-of-town, decided to change her plans and join us for the happy occasion, I called the Kittle House to add a cot or roll-away bed to our room. To my extreme consternation, I was told the charge would be $140. When I responded that I found that charge excessive, the person I spoke with was less than hospitable. I contemplated canceling our reservation, but phoned back a few days later and spoke with the innkeeper, who defended her policy and was only a slight bit more hospitable, but, ultimately, agreed to reduce the price to $25, more in keeping with what we had experience at many other inns of the same quality.

Then, like the relationship that improves with time, we were welcomed most warmly, given a room upgrade, found a newly-renovated, comfortable and spacious room. HDTV and free wireless were provided. Although we dined with family elsewhere, we returned to the inn in the evening and enjoyed a fine bottle of wine and some small plates in the bar, with outstanding service and very fair prices. Complementary breakfast in the morning was delicious and plentiful and served by very helpful and courteous servers who did everything possible to insure our enjoyment of the meal.

I'd like to think that the rocky start of my relationship with Crabtree's Kittle House was an aberration and that it was the beginning of a long, warm and affectionate relationship with this charming inn and restaurant. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank famdoc67
New Jersey
Reviewed January 15, 2012

This recently refurbished 18 th century manor house is a home away from home. I had the privilege of seeing my daughter descend a spiral staircase to her awaiting groom in its' lovely garden. As we had taken over all the rooms I can attest to the individual charm of almost all of them.
From the moment we arrived our every need was not only met but anticipated. We had both the rehearsal diner and the wedding in separate parts of the hotel. I cannot rave more about the food, wine nor attentiveness of all the staff.
if you are looking for a romantic getaway, a restorative respite, or a magical celebration, you cannot find anything better than this lovely venue.
In fact, as I write, I find myself yearning to book a return visit....

Room Tip: Decide what is most important to you, spaciousness, view, etc; call and talk to Betty about what you...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
carmel
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We hold an annual dinner for our referring physicians each year and I have just returned home and had to write a review. The evening was nothing short of spectacular. John thank you so much for your assistance in helping with the wine selection as well as providing us with a private dining room. Our guests were thrilled with the food and the personal attention your staff provided. The Kittle House is not only a fabulous dining experience but one of the best values in Westchester. You need to revise your wine list pricing as it is far too reasonable. Most refreshing to have all aspects exceed expectation. Many thanks again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chappaqua
Holiday Inn Mt. Kisco (Westchester Cty)
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Castle Hotel & Spa
#6 of 7 in Tarrytown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Armonk Westchester Cnty Apt
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester

Been to Crabtree's Kittle House? Share your experiences!