“Understanding the inn concept”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Brae Loch Inn

Brae Loch Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Cazenovia B&B and Inns
Ithaca
“Understanding the inn concept”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

Really enjoyed ourselves, even tho it was a "working" stay. Entirely comfortable and welcoming, especially the complimentary Single Malt. Everything was in good order and with a well-developed sense of what an inn should be: provide everything and then stay in the background. Handsome surroundings--worn-in but not worn-out. Good food, too, and very pleasant staff.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dustydiamonds

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

Having a child at Colgate University I can tell you that lodging (within a 30 minute drive) is hard to come by on busy weekends. Recently we stayed at the Brae Loch and found it to be a reasonable alternative to other options in the area. Is it "Fancy"? no. Is it "Lovely"? Not that either. It is an older inn that has been reasonably kept up. The beds are very comfy (Tempurpedic) but the rooms are in need of repair. One of the curtain tie-backs was taped to the wall, paint was peeling off the ceiling in spots and the bathroom in our room was sort of smooshed into a walk-in closet sized area.

Having said all that, the staff was friendly, the bar cozy and it was nice to be in an old inn that has withstood the passage of (probably) over a century. The complimentary scotch was a fabulous touch, though I couldn't partake b/c we were usually in Hamilton until after the scotch had been put away for the night (at 9 pm).

We did not dine in the restaurant, but a friend of our daughter's had and he said it was very good. The continental breakfast was so-so, but we didn't take advantage of that either. Coffee was good and was available for self-serve in the morning, which I like.

Maybe when the economy in Upstate NY picks up there will be $$ for a renovation, but that would be a major undertaking.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely. Just know it's not the Ritz by any stretch...it's a small town inn with nice ambiance, and Cazenovia is a cute little town.

BTW, if you're looking for a very nice town in this general area you might check out Skaneateles, it is a darling town, and nicely kept up (and I'm sure things there are more expensive as well).

Room Tip: ask for one that doesn't have peeling paint if, like me, you're afraid of the possibility of...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OlgaSeattle_WA
Rochester, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

All these adjectives describe our recent weekend. Beginning with the complementary Single Malt upon our late evening arrival and ending with great directions to a nearby Sculpture Art Park, we had a wonderful stay. The room was roomy with wonderful furnishings. A great mix of contemporary comfort (awesome in-room jacuzzi, great pillows and mattress) and antique furniture and details. Both the breakfast and the Special dinner in restaurant were fine. Highly recommend. (The only suggestion I'd make is to improve the quality of the TP and the wifi connection.)

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

My wife and I had been at the restaurant in November and there was a band that we really enjoyed. We did not know they were going to be there and had to leave early so we decided to come back again and stay the night to enjoy dinner and this band again.

Check-in was easy. They offer free scotch when you check in, which is a nice touch. The only issue at check-in was that I had booked the getaway package but they did not have it listed that way. The woman quickly fixed it so no harm, no foul.

The building is old and they have tried to add common comforts but still keep the old feel. They've done a pretty good job. We got a jacuzzi room. My only complaint there is that there are switches for a light, fan and something else (never figured it out) but none are labeled. I see someone else commented on this in a previous review.

The offer Tempurpedic mattresses. I'm not a huge fan but they were comfortable and the bedding was very nice. The room overall was quaint but not spectacular. There were two air conditions, both built into the wall that were quite old although they worked okay.

There was continental breakfast included with our breakfast. There was no info provided on the times or anything else. We found it on the main floor and it quick glance we were impressed and decided to go to McDonalds instead. Although on the way out the door it appeared there was more food on the opposite side of the room although by 10 am it didn't appear there was much left. Again, some info on what was available and what the times were would have been helpful.

Overall the stay was nice and cozy and it was what we expected. I'd never pay their rate for just an overnight stay, it's certainly a rip-off in that regards but the getaway package gives you a really nice meal and makes it worth it. I'm guessing we might do it again when that band returns again.

union springs, ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We were getting away for a night, we saw the Brae Loch Inn and thought it would be nice to stay there. We did not make a reservation because they wanted full nights payment upfront. We decided to just take our chances and drop in and see if there was availalbility, it was a Sunday night and not very busy. We asked to view the room and we were given the key to the room 19 Robert Burns suite, it had a whirlpool tub. We were given a discounted walk in rate of $95.00 which is much better than the $155.00 regular rate. We took the room, we were offered scotch at check in but we are not drinkers so I can't comment on that. We walked across the street to the park on the lake it is very nice, it would be great when the weather is warm. We also went to Chittenango Falls, I highly recommend it, hike down the trail to the bridge for a fantastic view.

More about the room, when we got back I wanted to check E-mail so I tried to connect to Wifi, I could not get a good connection, had to go down to the lobby for it to work. We decided to get in the whirlpool tub. There was no instructions in the room how to work it, there were three unlabeled switches under a seperate "Emergency Whirlpool" switch inthe bathroom that I assumed were for the tub. One switch worked the light over the tub, one switch worked the fan, I assumed the third would work the tub motor, I tried it nothing happened, I flippped the "Emergency switch" off and on to see if that made any difference, it did not. I thought that there may be a water level requirement, we we filled the tub till the water was over the top if the pump inlet, by the way the HOT water control knob was broken, had to twist the assembley to open the valve. Still no pump action. I am a mechanic and I understand how things work and I could not figure out why I could not get this whirlpool to work. I tried to call the front desk, I called the Inn number, got the bar tender she said no one is there and offered to Text someone about it, at this point I was frustrated so we gave up, kind of ruined the mood.
Also the exhust fan in the bathroom did not work.
The bed is Memory Foam, so you sink into the bed and you have to work at rolling over, some people may not have an issue with this but it is difficult.
When I checked out I exlained the issues with the whirlpool and told her that we could not get the whirlpool to work and that there were no instructions in the room how to operate it, she said that she did not know how to operate it and asked if there was a switch by the side of the tub. I told her I was disapponted that we did not recieve any benifit of the use of the whirpool, she responded, "Well you recieved a discounted rate on the room" I responded that " I am glad that I did not pay full price because I would be very disapointed paying full price for a ammenity that did not work. I gave them the opportunity to offer me some compensation but they did not offer. So my advise is to be sure to check out everthing in the room first, but if you make a reservation they already have your money and I am sure you would have a hard time getting it back.

You have been warned.

Norwich, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

We only had one night to get away, so we needed somewhere within an hour or so, and the Brae Loch fit the bill. We got the Getaway Package, which included a room with a king-size bed a hot tub for 2, dinner at their restaurant, and continental breakfast. The person checking us in was very cheerful. The room was large and the bed had a Tempurpedic mattress (a little on the firm side for us, but not lumpy like our mattress at home!) and a huge fluffy comforter. Some rooms have fireplaces (ours did not) and there are many in other public areas of the inn. The restaurant was too good! We ate way too much! I had chicken with a goat cheese and artichoke sauce, and my husband had a perfect piece of prime rib. The only sad part was that after an appetizer, soup and salad, we could not finish our dinners! The breakfast was minimal, but after that dinner we didn't need much.

The only drawbacks were that there was some outside noise and you could hear the music from the restaurant, but just a little, and none of that really bothered us. Also, there is a cat that lives at the inn. Again, this was not an issue for us, but I really think they should mention it on their website for people with animal allergies.

All in all, a relaxing night away, and a lovely day the next day exploring the shops in town. We would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: If you are splurging on a king room, adding on the dinner to get the Getaway Package is a good value...
Bridgewater, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room and bathroom were immaculate. The king sized bed was very comfortable, and had great pillows. We found the staff very friendly, and the bartender went out of his way to wait on us, even though it was very busy. The food was excellent, and we were not disappointed by a single thing about the Brae Loch Inn.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cazenovia
Hampton Inn & Suites Cazenovia
Craftsman Inn
Craftsman Inn
#1 of 1 in Fayetteville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
Hampton Inn & Suites Syracuse Erie Blvd/I-690

Been to Brae Loch Inn? Share your experiences!