“The best place to find my self...”
Review of The Kaaterskill

The Kaaterskill
Ranked #1 of 7 Catskill B&B and Inns
Bilbao, Spain
“The best place to find my self...”
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I really love this place. I can't get up at the morning because the bed is really comfortable and clean.. The landscape is incredible, The experience closer to animals is very nice.

I ' m from latin american I like to visit great places in other countries, but the Katterskill is without a doubt an a fabulous place, it's charming, but wild with luxury.

for me the place is an 9

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank JoshuaSP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Although the grounds were nice, with bunnies and chickens running around, the common room and our guest room smelled like mothballs! Our room (the gifford) was clean, but the furniture was old with water stains everywhere and breaks here and there. The vertical blinds were broken with missing pieces and the curtains were very dingy. There was only lighting on one side of the room. We could not even keep the screen door open to get some air because there were holes in it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Elana H
DeBeers54, Manager at The Kaaterskill, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
I'd like to Thank You for being a guest at "The Kaaterskill". I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have the "Great" experience that at least 98 % of our guests have and have made comment on. I do apologize for the water stain on the dresser...it was done by the Wedding we had prior to your visit and had not been attended to before your visit. The other comments/complaints are a mystery to me. I wish you would have told me while you were here about any problems or conditions that made your visit anything less than great. I would have tried my best to correct any of these had they been merited. You say the room was clean but smelled of moth balls....there have been no moth balls on the premises since I came here 3 years ago. The rooms are clean and therefore smell clean. The lighting is another mystery to me. There is lighting all around the room. We are on the cover of Travel and Leisure Magazine in the October Issue. We wouldn't be there with the conditons that you complained of. I'm sorrry that you are in the 2% that we can't make happy!
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 1, 2010

If you're looking for nature, beauty, sublime peace and a few close encounters with some sweet, almost comical animals, look no further than The Kaaterskill.

We drove up at twilight past a long white picket fence down a quiet country road... pulled up the long driveway and got out of the car just in time to see a flock of Canadian geese alight on the pond under a rising moon, as a herd of white bunnies hopped across the lawn. In the morning we discovered there's also a charming pig, goats, several horses (although not for guest riding... they're rescued thoroughbreds), chickens and more.

The caretaker couple in residence couldn't be kinder, but live in a separate house on the property so there's lots of privacy. Our room was tranquil, with a large jacuzzi tub, floor-to-ceiling glass windows that looked out towards the pond, comfy beds and a fireplace. The Kaaterskill seems like one of those rare places that's fun for children, but also quite romantic for couples, as the property is large, with a number of rustic wooden buildings, and rooms are furnished with clean, modern furnishings.

During the day, you can go hiking along a wide, flowing creek (there are benches placed here and there along the banks), paddle boat around the pond, relax and read, or drive to Hudson to shop along Warren Street (fantastic, upscale antique stores and eateries). Our room also had a microwave, small refrigerator and dishes. Not a B+B, and a bit off the beaten path, so you do need to bring food for breakfast or a picnic lunch if you plan to stay on-site during the day; although the hosts thoughtfully provided instant oatmeal, tea and the like. We did see one guest strolling with a Lab (although it was kept on a leash, for the sake of the other animals), so they may also be dog-friendly, if you check in advance.

All in all, a lovely and relaxing weekend get-away from NYC. We hope to return here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SoMinty
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2010

We had a really lovely time at the Kaaterskill over a long weekend in the spring. The property feels like a small farm with animals like goats, bunnies and a cute pig named Apple inhabiting the place.

We room was large, immaculate and very comfortable. It also head some nice extras like a kitchenette, microwave popcorn to pop with a movie (huge assortment of DVDs provided), bottled water and wellingtons for exploring the surrounding fields in the mud.

The only reason I give this place 4 stars and not 5 is because it was a complete DYI experience. Our room was open when we arrived and we never saw the host during our 3 day stay. There is a phone # to call, but basically no front desk or anyone present even during the day. We thought this was a bit strange, but the room, property and good price made up for the absent service.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank katgut
New York/Munich
Reviewed December 19, 2009

I was visiting my family in the US for Thanksgiving with my 17-month old daughter and needed a little time for R & R in-between. I searched the internet for days for a quiet place Upstate NY, no more than 2 hours away from the city, that provided relaxation for me and yet enough to entertain a toddler. I was beginning to think that such a place didn't exist - especially in winter - when I ran across The Kaaterskill. Every review I read online was positive so I booked and what a great decision it was! We stayed in "The Church" and it was a terrific room with a modern cabin and homey feeling. The fireplace and the view of the mountains and creek were amazing. I'm not a big breakfast eater so the instant oats and coffee were sufficient and I drove to Hudson the first day and stocked up on enough food, snacks and the recommended wine :-) for the 3 days we were there.

For my daughter, it was perfect. She had so much fun visiting the ducks, hens, turkeys, rabbits, Apple - the pig, goats, sheep and horses every morning. We also walked a little in the woods before it rained and everything got too soggy. For the rainy days though, there was plenty of DVDs and childrens' books to keep her busy. Debbie and her family were always on hand to answer questions or make suggestions. She even gave my daughter a little tour of the animal stalls the first day.

If what you're looking for is relaxation and peace and quiet, you can't go wrong with this place. It's great with or without kids. Free WLAN and long-distance also available. For extra quiet, stay during the week. We were the only guests for the 3 nights and it was simply wonderful!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank allthatjazz73
New York City
Reviewed April 8, 2009

My hubby and i wanted to leave our chaotic NYC lives behind...at least for a weekend. The Kaaterskill brought us back to what really matters...peace & tranquility. The room (The Church) was absolutely beautiful. we have nothing negative to say about this place. there are some wonderful restaurants in the area. do not hesistate to make a reservation if you are looking to get away from it all (including your cell phone!).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed November 29, 2008

Just got back from the Kaaterskill and wanted to write a review straightaway as we enjoyed our stay so much. We booked three nights over Thanksgiving weekend as a getaway from city life and had a great experience. The caretakers were there to meet us when we arrived and showed us to our room. When entering the property we arrived through the common room - which was very nicely decorated with sofas, a large table, DVDs to borrow and music to play, as well as many brochures, take-out menus and guides to the area. Our room was upstairs, the Inness, and it was beautiful. Wood walls, beautiful furniture, VERY comfortable bed, and fireplace. The kitchenette area was equipped with microwave, small fridge, two plates, bowls, mugs, glasses, and wine glasses - plus cutlery, sharp knife, wooden spoon, can-opener and corkscrew. And then the bathroom! Lovely, high-ceilinged room, with enormous whirlpool bath, candles, and separate shower. The room looks out through sliding glass doors onto a balcony and then onto the grounds of the farm, with lake, ducks, barn, and assorted other animals. Behind it all are the mountains - just stunning.

The location is great - an easy, short drive to Saugerties, Woodstock, Catskill, Palenville or Tannersville - and just over the river to Hudson. In the summer there would be even more to do.

We had the place to ourselves for two nights, so can't comment on the tranquility with more guests - but so very peaceful from our experience! And so much fun to build a fire each night after a day of adventures and settle in with wine, cheese and crackers to watch a movie from the library.

Would definitely return!

• Liked — Fireplace and views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Catskill
Catskill Mountain Lodge
Riedlbauer's Resort
Riedlbauer's Resort
#3 of 4 in Round Top
Green Lake Resort & Conference Center

Been to The Kaaterskill? Share your experiences!