All reviewsmagical placeantique storesmain farmhousesmall farmpre weddingbeautiful animalsthoroughbred horsesglass of winetwo hoursnew york citysmall fridgefresh airgoatspondfireplacejacuzzinature
Reviewed October 6, 2016

I reserved July 31-Aug 1 with Bernice - said I would receive letter with instructions - called week before to confirm since no letter - she said all set. Arrived Sunday afternoon - no one there - no note advising room number or anything - finally found phone number to call posted in lobby(?) - called - waited an hour for gentleman to come - he said we were not expected - after he did calls he showed us to room - queen bed - not doubles as reserved - he switched us to correct room. Room itself was clean, comfortable inside - other than previous person's food left in refrigerator. The outside grounds were not well maintained - no flowers in flowerboxes - sliding door screen broken - patio dirty. The turkey was the most welcoming face we saw. This place has great potential - it just looks sad and rundown. The only other person we saw during our three day/ two night stay was tending to the animals and did not speak English. Very very overpriced for what you receive. Would not recommend for traveling alone.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2016

Attended a wedding at The Kaaterskill this weekend. The area and the property are beautiful - loved the lakeside setting and the dinner in the barn. However, the property seems to have been let go a bit. The food, wait and bar staff and decorations were great - kudos to the wedding planners for pulling this off so well. I think the main problem was staffing - they seem understaffed and a bit stretched. This could also explain why the place is not as well maintained as it seems on their website. Some of the staff were great. Kudos especially to Robert - he went all out for the guests and his enthusiasm was contagious. However there were a couple of other staff who didn't seem nearly as proactive or engaged - a group of us were laughing that we couldn't figure out why they were there. I hope the hotel can get its act together. We would love to come back for a weekend. It's currently OK, but the hotel needs some fresh blood and work to bring it back to the high ratings it has received previously.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled with friends
4  Thank NYCBizTraveler
Reviewed September 15, 2016

The Kaaterskill is by far my favorite place to go when I need a few days to relax. All the rooms are beautiful, I, personally love to stay in the "Cole" room. It has a beautiful view of the mountains from a luxurious king size bed and cozy easy to light fire place. I love greeting the animals in the morning before a run through the trails by the creek. It really is the perfect place to reconnect with nature and feel totally pampered at the same time. From the animals, to the landscape, to the beautiful and intricately designed farmhouse, you don't have to be an artist to leave feeling inspired and recharged!

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank Milena D
Reviewed September 13, 2016

I believe I attended the same wedding as the reviewer below. In regards to the food- that was actually done by The Rhinecliff. If you rent out the Kaaterskill you have to bring all of your own everything- caterer, chairs, flowers, everything... For the bride and groom who are big planners- (they also worked with a wedding planner), it all worked out perfectly.

So the only thing I can review about the Kaaterskill itself are the rooms and grounds.
We stayed in the main farmhouse - each room has its own large bathroom and balcony or porch. The rooms seemed clean. The bed in our room was extremely soft- some people would like that... I'm not sure if they are all like that. In the main farmhouse - upstairs (not handicap accessible)- is a full kitchen. There is also a billiards room and very eclectic decor...you have to see to believe. The smaller farm house has three rooms upstairs and everyone shares one of the smallest bathrooms ever. This house is more rustic than the other rooms.

The Kaaterskill is a farm, so just note, for example, during the ceremony, you could hear the roosters crowing.

There are also some walking trails along a creek and a pond in the middle.

Other wedding guests had to stay in a hotel about 30 mins away- they couple did pay for a drunk bus/shuttle.

Overall the weekend was perfect for this couple, but like I said, use this beautiful venue only if you are really ready to plan every part of your wedding day/weekend!

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank leneyB
Reviewed September 7, 2016 via mobile

I attended a wonderful wedding at the Kaaterskill. The service was held in front of the lake, a lovely setting. The cocktail hour was held at the boathouse. The Kaaterskill allowed for a very personalized event and the cocktail hour perfectly reflected the couple. The hors d'oeuvres were delicious and plentiful. Next we moved to the barn for the reception/dinner. The seating was outdoors with the bar, band and dance floor were in the barn. The dinner was served at a leisurely pace. Salad course followed by family style dinner. They did run out of meat and I didn't get any. The other food, veggies and pasta, was delicious. What the servers called couscous was really cold tabbouleh. The little desserts were delicious. After the cake was cut it was served too slowly, only bringing 3 slices out at a time, which left a lot of people just standing there waiting for cake. They should have used trays and brought more out at a time and more quickly. After dinner there was a fun bonfire with a canoe filled with cans of beer and a station to make s'mores with traditional and non-traditional s'mores ingredients which I believe were supplied by the family.
It's nice when a venue allows for the family to bring things in to better personalize the event.
All in all, a really fun time.

Stayed: September 2016, traveled with family