All reviewsmagical placeantique storesmain farmhousesmall farmpre weddingbeautiful animalsthoroughbred horsesglass of winetwo hoursnew york citysmall fridgefresh airgoatspondfireplacejacuzzinature
Reviewed March 3, 2015

My G/F and I stayed here 5 years ago - in fact, it was our first trip away as a couple. We wanted to return to celebrate 5+ years together and booked the same room. One nice thing before we ever arrived was that I called to see if we could postpone by a week as my G/F was not feeling well, and they did so with no fuss or issues.

We stayed in the same room as last time and the decor is best described as eclectic - it's converted barn outfitted everywhere with knotty pine. The furniture is a mix of modern and antiques. Our room had a fireplace and a whirlpool bath (I believe they all do) and they were both a very nice touch. There were a couple of things that could have been addressed in advance - there was no hairdryer, the toiletry shelf in the shower was missing, the blinds in the skylights were ineffective. Minor things that did not substantially impact our enjoyment, but that I would hope would be addressed in a place at this price point.

We don't mind the fact that the Kaaterskill is a self check-in place and that breakfast is also self service - in fact we prefer it as it lets us deal with our own schedule. Other's may expect the jolly host(ess) experience and be disappointed.

All in all, we will definitely return. I hope they address the minor niggles, but relaxing in our room by the fireplace with a glass of wine makes it all worth it.

Room Tip: I think they are all good. The stairs to the 2nd floor are quite steep, so if you have trouble with that, forego the cathedral ceilings and stay downstairs.
  • Stayed: February 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Raoul M
Reviewed December 7, 2014

I spent this weekend at the Inn at a brithday party. We found the grounds wonderful ~ the animals are enchanting. I grew up in Greene County but never had the opportunity to see so many animals enjoy such a beautiful life and such a wonderful environment. Our first night was rainy and cloudy and foggy which gave a beautiful mystic to the property. We woke up to brilliant sunshine, a gorgeous view of the fantastic mountains and the beautiful animals enjoying their freedom. Our room was perfect ~ so elegent, clean, and completely ready for wine, cheese, and a soak in the hot tub. But, my favorite reviews come with waking up to the wake up call of the roosters ~ a very special memory of my childhood ~ AND the moment I laid my head down on Friday evening, I was sent back so many years to the smell of sheets that made you feel loved and cared for ~ thanks to my Mom ~ and to the staff at the Inn.

• Stayed: December 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 977lindam123
Reviewed October 19, 2014

Great Tripadvisor reviews, a 2014 Certificate of Excellence and an attractive website led us to book a stay at The Kaaterskill in Catskill, New York. The property was described as a luxury property and we agreed to the $225 per night price.
When we arrived, we were greeted by a somewhat disheveled onsite manager in his socks who showed us how to get to our room across a dirt and gravel path. Once in the room, he attempted to get a light working by the head of the bed but finally settled on moving a lamp to the foot of the bed. He then explained that the thermostat wasn’t working appropriately in the room and brought in a space heater for heat. During the night the heater did come to life so we turned off the space heater and attempted with limited success to lower the setting on the thermostat as the room was getting too hot. The beds were virtually resting on the floor, considerably lower than beds in any type of accommodation we have visited. We attempted to close the blinds (verticals) but many of the parts of the blinds were broken and missing so that wouldn't work. We tried to close off the windows using the drapes. However, the draperies that were there didn't cover the windows, so we used some binder clips we had with us to hold the drapes closed. The bathroom sink faucets were very loose and moved around as we tried to operate them. In all of our travel experiences, routine maintenance is always done to the rooms before the guests arrive (unforeseen problems excepted), not after the guest is in the room. In general, our accommodations were worn, tired and in poor repair. Luxury was nowhere to be found. We were anxious to leave in the morning.
It was hard to know whether to give The Kaaterskill one or two stars. We suggest others do a better job of researching this establishment than we did.

• Stayed: October 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank stevewa308
thekaaterskill, Venue Coordinator / Events Manager at The Kaaterskill, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2014

Thank you so much for your review of The Kaaterskill. We are extremely disheartened to hear that you found your stay with us sub par, and for that we express our deepest sympathies. As per previous discussions, we have fully refunded your stay. Our guests feedback is very important to us, and immediate actions have been made based on your expressions of discontent with our accommodations. The stay you experienced is in fact not typical as many other guests can confirm, so again, we are so very sorry for your poor experience with us here on your recent stay. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and bringing these items to our attention in such a timely manner. We wish you all the best in your future travels!

Reviewed October 11, 2014

I stayed here for a wedding, it was absolutely beautiful! The scenery, the animals, and the rooms were just all stunning!! I just couldn't get enough of it. Hope to come back here for my own wedding one day!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank mmbstompppp
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I were recently married at the Kaaterskill and we couldn't be happier we chose this venue. All of our guests were amazed by how jaw-dropping gorgeous the property is. The mountains, the pond, the woods, the animals, everything was beautiful.

We invited our immediate family and bridal party to stay with us at the Inn. We had a great time. The Inn is spacious and beautifully decorated. We took advantage of the amenities: big kitchen for the rehearsal dinner and after wedding brunch, billiards room for unlimited entertainment and the flat screen TVs, working fireplace and jacuzzi tubs in each room.
It started to rain during the day of the wedding so we had to take most of our photos inside the inn. The decor and backdrops made our photos look amazing!

The grounds keeper was quick and helpful when we needed help with the air conditioner in one of the rooms. The drive was only 2 hours away and there is lots to do nearby.

We loved the Kaaterskill and our families and I are already talking about when we can return!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family