“Pristine property without pretense”
Review of The Kaaterskill

The Kaaterskill
Ranked #2 of 7 Catskill B&B and Inns
Boonton, New Jersey, United States
“Pristine property without pretense”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I booked a suite at the Kaaterskill literally a little over a week before New Year's Eve weekend. I knew that my boyfriend and I wanted to go to the Catskills and our choices would be limited We were fortunate enough to grab the last available suite at The Kaaterskill.

This place was everything I thought it would be and more. As some of the previous reviews suggest, this Inn is basically a "self check-in". Kurt, one of the caretakers, did greet us upon arrival and led us up to our room but you may not necessarily experience that if they are not around. Read: If you need to be coddled in typical B&B style, this is not the place for you.

The Julia Hart-Beers room on the 2nd level at the end was great. Eclectically appointed with diffferent artistic themes apparent in the art and furniture, all designed to give it a whimsical and 'zen like' feeling. Every one of the 6 suites has a fireplace, etc. with ample seating throughout in addition to the queen size bed. Every room has a balcony with gorgeous views of the pond, farm and Catskill Mountains.

Besides the beauty of the room and the property itself, what impressed me were the little extras. There was a bottle of wine in the room wrapped with a welcome for the holidays, shampoo and toiletries, 2 bottles of water, ample towels and blankets, wood for the fireplace and lovely hard cover books to read at your leisure. Candles adorned the ledge of the jacuzzi tub as well as the nightstand and table out on the balcony. The only thing that was a tad strange was that there were clothes in some of the dresser drawers as well as jackets hanging in the closet area (perhaps they were for us to use in case we needed something?).

The common space downstairs is lovely and peaceful and a bowl of fresh fruit welcomes you each morning. Because the grounds were muddy, the Inn supplied several sized pairs of rubber boots for guests to use if they so desired. What a thoughtful idea! We enjoyed walking the trails and feeding the horses and goats and sheep (Apple, the pig, was off celebrating New Year's with the owners so unfortunately, we didn't get to meet him).

Restaurants and shopping are all within a 15 minute drive of The Kaaterskill in neighboring towns of Saugerties, Tannersville and Woodstock (skip Hunter proper unless you are visiting Hunter Mountain; otherwise, there is not much to choose from in this area).

I would highly recommend The Kaaterskill for anybody who is looking for a peaceful getaway close to NYC (an hour and a half from where we live in NJ).

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have double beds, some queen, some king. Make sure that you choose one based on y...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
new york, ny
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I read about The Kaaterskill in Travel and Leisure a few years ago and tore out the page for my "travel to someday"file. Finally went for an anniversary weekend in November and it was fantastic. Rustic, yet just luxe enough. A room with a wood burning fireplace at a cozy secluded inn that allows dogs is my dream. We read the reviews before we went so we were prepared with wine, beer, smoked salmon, lobster salad, cheese, crackers and a BIG steak for the grill. We did head into town the first day to check it out, but preferred to stay on the property and hike up the creek, fish in the pond. The owners were there, but left us alone. When we arrived someone did come out and greet us and showed us to the room, although we were prepared to figure it out on our own. Once I locked myself out of the room, but used the house phone in the main room and the caretaker came right over to let us in. Bottom line-this is like having your own little country cabin for the weekend without the hassle of a house payment and upkeep. Most cabins don't have such comfy beds or big jacuzzi tubs though so this was a treat. We will be back...often I hope.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Emmapeelmeagrape
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We were looking to get married in a place where we could take over the property for the weekend and have super fun relaxed wedding and the Kaaterskill was perfect for that. We loved having the house for the whole weekend and the Ben and bonfire the night of the wedding was perfect. Despite the fact that the area had been badly affected by the hurricane the month before the wedding the house and grounds were fantastic. Our guests did have to wear rain boots because it had poured the week before the wedding, but it just added to the fun laid back style. Loved having the cocktail hour in the pond house and the Bon fire in the fire pit at the end of the night. It is great not having a time limit on the venue. People told me it was one of the most fun and unique weddings ever. We invited more people than the barn could fit (I would not put more than 130 people in the barn with a dance flood) so we had to add on a tent but it was totally fine. We definitely plan on coming back and renting the house again....

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank laceyas
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed November 18, 2011

When we were deciding on a venue for our wedding, my wife and I had two main requirements: we wanted a place with character, and somewhere we'd have the space to make exactly the wedding we wanted. From the moment we pulled up the Kaaterskill's driveway (and a group of rabbits scattered across the snowy field), we knew we had found it. The inn is a beautiful farmhouse with six spacious rooms, each with a full luxurious bathroom and amazing beds. I never thought I would sleep so well the night before my wedding. Renting the entire inn (all six rooms) gets you access to the kitchen and game room, as well as the privilege of feeling like the place is "home" while you're there. Each room is full of what must be in all thousands of pieces of art, sculptures, knick-knacks and paintings ranging from the spectacular to spectacularly curious; there is no end of things to look at and ponder over while you're there. On the grounds, there's a pond and quaint pond house, a stable with horses, some pens with goats and sheep (a manger?), and a gorgeous barn where all 155 of us had dinner and danced well into the early morning--you're hidden in the woods, so there's no reason to keep it down. I could go on about the place, but I'll just say that it's absolutely perfect place for an event or a weekend away. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Daniel S
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Unforgettable night! My husband and I comes along with the group of 10 peoples rental the entire Inn as for celebrate a birthday, the owner was there and they were so nice to show us around and the caretakers are being so helpful too~ The room designs are elegant yet modern. It’s a absolutely a great place to get away from the city. I was just staying there for 2 nights but I would say you should there at least 3-4 night was just barely enough .I will definitely come again!!! this is an outstanding Inn I have ever been to A+++++++++++++++

Room Tip: All rooms got good view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank KarmenY_11
Montvale, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed October 11, 2011

What a wonderful time we had!!! My husband, our 8 month old daughter, and I decided to book a long weekend at this unique hideaway! My husband found The Kaaterskill Inn online... as soon as we saw it, we knew it was for us: quiet, secluded, surrounded by nature, beautiful views.

I LOVED: the bookcase of books in the room... provided books for our little baby AND for me... found my favorite book of all time there! - the fireplace... what better way to wind down at the end of the day then with the crackling fireplace and sounds of nature, heard through the open doors, with majestic mountain views - the jacuzzi... SO relaxing - the eclectic feel of the room... inviting, warm, fun, zen, all in one! Beautiful touches all around... a true zen/nature getaway!

As other reviewers have mentioned, there is no one to "let you in", no one to "call and complain to"... just what we loved about it... as if we owned a slice of heaven for the weekend... what a beautiful place! BUT if we did need to call someone, the groundskeeper is in a house right on the property, and the owners were staying on the property as well. We truly enjoyed this aspect of The Kaaterskill! Thanks for a wonderful, wonderful time!

The bed was sooo comfy! Enjoyed that there was a mini-fridge and microwave for snacks/drinks.

Yummy oatmeal cookies when we left, too!

Room Tip: Beautiful view from every room!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer G
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Hurricane Irene flooded the Kaaterskil—and you would never have known just a week later, when we were married in its pretty barn, overlooking the pond, with the beautiful mountain backdrop overlooking it all. The Hirsches (the owners) and their caretakers worked like crazy, moving fallen trees, rebuilding a barn floor, and making their gorgeous property look like new, all with the good humor and determination that make their farm so incredible to begin with. They are fantastic people, and we could not have had a more beautiful wedding. The setting is phenomenal, the Inn (with its fabulous, fun, eclectic decor; giant kitchen; billiard room and luxurious beds) a perfect place to stay. The farm felt like ours all weekend, and it made an amazing day all the more special. Seriously, I bet you've looked at eight hundred reviews at this point (if you're a bride anything like my wife)—just go to the Kaaterskill, and you'll see what I mean. It doesn't get any better!

Room Tip: All the rooms have their own fun character and decks with amazing views-—the upstairs rooms have sky...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aniehaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Catskill
Catskill Mountain Lodge
#3 of 9 in Catskill
Winter Clove Inn
Winter Clove Inn
#2 of 4 in Round Top

Been to The Kaaterskill? Share your experiences!