“Great Salad lunch in Spectacular location”
Review of Glen Iris Inn

Glen Iris Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Castile
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Fairport, New York
“Great Salad lunch in Spectacular location”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

So often we picnic when visiting this spectacular park filled with gorgeous gorges, waterfalls and hiking trails. This time we chose to eat at the lovely Glen Iris Inn and had a wonder lunch. My spinach salad had a dressing I had never tasted before that was sensational, kind of a creamy pineapple bacon flavor. Wish I could duplicate the recipe. So both of us had delicious food, pleasant peaceful atmosphere,& fast service on a beautiful day.

Lyncourt, New York
“Still Great Dining 36 Years Later”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and I spent a few days at Letchworth State Park and dined two evenings at the Glen Iris Inn. We were very pleased with our meals as well as the wait staff. Our servers were friendly and competent. One evening we chose the Cherries Jubilee for dessert and enjoyed the table side preparation. The dessert was delicious. The Glen Iris also provides picnic lunches which we chose to take on one of our hikes. It too, was very good. We chose to stay at the Pinewood Lodge rather than the Inn because the Lodge has efficiency units with microwave oven, coffee maker, and small refrigerator. I had dined a few times at the Glen Iris over thirty years ago, and the dining experience was great then and still is now.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Saydee48
Rochester, New York
2,027 restaurant reviews
“Great place, but the food was not up to expectations”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I always rate restaurants against others in the same price range and category, so on this one I had to give it a '4' instead of a '5' because the quality of our main courses just wasn't up to expectations. There is no doubt that this place is located in a GREAT setting, in the middle of Letchworth State Park. Also, the service was provided by a really nice waitress who was doing her best to make this a memorable meal.

We started off with an appetizer of bruschetta, which was done very nicely with a combination of pine nuts, tomatoes, garlic, and greens. It was very nice, tasty, and perfectly spiced. For the main course, my wife and I both ordered the "Canjun shrimp and pasta" (photo attached), and it just didn't make it. The dish was a combination of shrimp, sausage, hot peppers (red and green), mushrooms, tomatoes, and pasta. All the ingredients were OK, but they just never came together to "sing" in the entrée. It tasted as though there were just a bunch of ingredients dumped in the bowl and not cooked together. As far as being a Cajun dish, it just wasn't. There were the red and green peppers, which were VERY sour and pretty hot, but which never contributed to the dish. I felt that I could have prepared a much better dish myself using the same ingredients. Please understand...it didn't taste bad, it just didn't taste like a real dish. My wife felt the exact same way about hers. My daughter ordered the Vegan pasta dish with kale and other vegetables, and had about the same opinion as me and my wife; ingredients in a bowl. Sorry, but this meal left me a bit unimpressed.

Once again, the serving staff did a great job, and the setting is beautiful. But I would not return for the food alone, as I expect a really superb meal for $150 (family of four). It needs a better chef to prepare something a little more special.

coopersburg pa
“A Not To Miss Dining Experience In The Park”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

When ever we visit western New York the Glen Iris Inn is a must for lunch. Again we were not disappointed. We arrived on a Tuesday and the rain had just ended; the sun was shining brightly making the falls a spectacular view. We were promptly seated. Our service was a bit on the slower side considering there were only a few other diners and at least 3 servers present. The meal was again excellent. Hubby had a burger and French Onion soup. Burger was cooked to his liking, served with french fries, and he raved about the soup. The ladies both had the tomato bisque. It was smooth and flavorful. One lady had the chicken salad on a crosseint, came with a large portion of chicken salad and a side of potato salad. The other lady had a daily special, poached salmon sandwich accompanied by french fries. The other gentleman had a club sandwich, large portion also with french fries. We opted to share a dessert. We had a warmed brownie topped with nut butter, ice cream, chocolate sauce and whipped cream. The view from the floor to ceiling windows is beautiful and makes the dining area very bright. We left pleased with our meal and hope to return again.

Rochester, New York
“A last minute choice, a good one”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We were driving through the park in the middle of the week on some business related matters. With lunch upon us, we selected the Inn and were glad we did. The ambiance was nice, the food and service were great. Very pleasant staff. It is within the park proper and on the windy road. Allow time to locate if you're not familiar with the area.