“Great place for a special diner!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glen Iris Inn

Glen Iris Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Castile
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Scenic view, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
St. Catharines, Canada
“Great place for a special diner!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I celebrated out 33rd wedding anniversary this week at Caroline’s Restaurant in the Glen Iris Inn at Letchworth State Park in New York. Since we were staying overnight at the Inn, it made sense for us to have a relaxing supper at the Inn’s restaurant for our celebration. We had considered driving into Mt. Morris or Geneseo NY to have supper, but decided that it would be better for us to stay at the Inn and save the driving time. That way, we could enjoy a bottle of wine with our dinner, and not have to worry about driving.

Although the dinner was somewhat pricey [$85 for two, including wine, taxes. and tip], w were glad we stayed at the Inn for our celebration dinner. Both of us enjoyed our dinners. I had the small prime rib, which was cooked medium. My dinner included a baked potato, a green salad, buns, and cooked beets. The prime rib was very tender, and the meal was filling. My husband had the St. Helena Chicken…a grilled chicken breast mixed with prosciutto ham, snow peas, fresh basil, parmesan, herb garlic butter, and bow-tie pasta. Buns and a salad were included.

Our only complaint was with the wine. Trying to control costs—as the prices for wine seemed on the high side—we ordered a Bully Hill Spring White Niagara for $20. Bad choice! It tasted very much like sweet grape juice, and not at all like wine. It was much too sweet. However, we didn’t complain to our server, as we know we just picked the cheapest wine on the list! But I don't know why the restaurant has such a terrible wine on the wine list!

The atmosphere in the restaurant was relaxing, the meal was very good, and the service was wonderful. Our server was attentive, and she was very polite. If you’re staying at the Glen Iris Inn, you won’t be disappointed if you have supper at Caroline’s Restaurant in the Inn.

Niagara Falls, New York
“Excellent Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Dinner was excellent - boyfriend thought it a little pricy but I considered it fair. His steak could be cut with a butter knife and I had a sausage and shrimp dish - spicy hot - that was incredible!

Visited October 2013
Pittsburgh
“Quite Terrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

It's rare I have a bad meal since I'm not a picky eater, however this restaurant gave us a terrible experience. This will sound like just one customer complaining, but our whole party seemed troubled by the same problems I had. I've been coming to Letchworth for about 20 straight years now, and finally chose to dine here as a great end to a camping weekend.

The restaurant is located in the beautiful historic Glen Iris Inn which is incredible. The restaurant ambiance however is fairly bland, with just a big open dining room. Our server, while nice, was always absent and we had to walk to the hostess to ask for water refills. The prices here are medium to high, figure 20 - 30 per entree which I expected, but the food was just terrible. For me, my pumpkin bisque was lumpy and a bit bitter, and for an entree I had the St. Helena chicken, which amounted to two pre cooked fillets on a bed of heavily buttered pasta, with some peas. It was horrible, although I didn't feel the true brunt of the meal until about 2 hours later.

The worst part however was the wait - about 90 minutes from ordering to being served our food. And had the meal been great or had we seen our server more than once, I wouldn't have minded.

So the lack of ambience, terrible service, terrible food, and high prices, has me never wanting to return. Again, I might just be once customer complaining, but you're better off heading to one of the quaint towns just outside the park and having a great local meal there.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Cheektowaga, NY
“Wonderfully located restaurant/inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our dinner at Glen Iris Inn. This is a local landmark located across from the Middle Falls in Letchworth State Park.

The inn has several dining areas, and we were seated in the lower dining area which has a wall of windows and faces the falls.

We started off with drinks and a flat bread appetizer. Pure deliciousness! I ordered a flight of wine and wasn't disappointed. These are generous pours! A basket of rolls arrived followed by our dinner salads which were nicely presented. I ordered the Vegetable Wellington which was comprised of brie and veggies in a puff pastry. Yummy. It was accompanied with smashed red potatoes and snap peas.

My hubby ordered the filet medium rare, but it was prepared medium. No worries...he still enjoyed it. He also had the smashed reds and snap peas.

For dessert, I ordered the harvest pie (delicious) and my hubby ordered a sundae.

The ambiance is warm and inviting in the restaurant. The tables are covered by white linens and are well-spaced in the dining room. There is plenty of parking in the surrounding lots and the view of the falls from this location is perfect.

My only complaint...our server. There were two servers who were phenomenal. Unfortunately, we ended up with a server who seemed to want to be somewhere else. We ended up begging our waiter for water refills again and again and again. I had asked for a glass of Clos du Bois to be served when my entree arrived. I was two-thirds of the way through my meal before the wine arrived. (I am not a fast eater.) Needless to say, timeliness wasn't our server's forte. However, I won't let his lack of due diligence sully this review. If we had been lucky to have had any other server, it would have been a spot-on, perfect evening.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kimber1369
Grimsby, Canada
“Close to falls, food decent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We had lunch at the Glen Iris Inn as it is ideally suited right across from one of the nicest waterfalls in Letchworth State Park. The food was decent...not terrific...priced at about $10-$15 each for lunch.

Visited September 2013