“A Disappointing Visit”

Holiday Inn Westbury
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Carle Place
Reviewed August 12, 2013

If you read my August 22, 2011 review, you know that I had nothing but good things to say about this hotel. Much has changed since that visit, and it has not been for the good. They no longer have the free breakfast and no longer offer On-Demand movies. And although the pool is still there, it is very unclear what its hours are. The opening time is listed variously as 8am, 9am and 10am. I was out-of-luck for an 8am swim on my recent visit since the gate stated an opening time of 9am.

There are not a lot of hotel choices in the area and this one is certaining okay for the price. However, I am no longer a huge champion. And I am a Holiday Inn Priority Club member! I really would have expected a better deal than the 10% off breakfast that I was offered.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are safer and quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BostonNix
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear BostonNix,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My stay at this hotel seemed to be excellent upon arrival. Lobby was clean and beautiful. It was definitely a plus to my guests and I that it was located next door to a wedding we were attending that same evening. When checking in, staff was helpful and was aware we were there for a wedding. On camera, it was clear I was handed money at the desk which was then placed in my pocketbook. With time becoming close to cocktail hour, we quickly got dressed and headed to the wedding. When returning, I had checked my pocketbook which was left in the room to find that $200 had been taken from me. Keep in mind, the other three guests staying in my room happened to be NYC Police Officers and the other manager of a hotel in NYC. We quickly called the front desk to alert them of the incident and they apologized however took their time to read the room key reader like we requested. After waiting 40 minutes, the times that were read that someone accessed the room appeared to be wrong BECAUSE the last reading was at 1:57 am and I was sleeping! This makes me more nervous! We were told theyre machines arent always up to date. Then we were informed that the GM of the hotel was not on duty and could not review the tapes and to call on Monday. The supervisor again apologized about the incident and told us we would be given the wedding rate. When checking out and reminding him about that rate, he told us there was nothing he could do because we paid cash for the rooms. So, as Monday rolled around I called and speak to the GM. He was cold and seemed to be bothered by the call. I was told to wait 48 hours so they could investigate. Needless to say.. I am still waiting for a call from 7/15. So I took matters into my own hands and called IHG which owns Holiday Inns and waiting to hear back from there.I was definitely surprised that this happened to me at a hotel like this in Long Island. Im a Brooklyn Girl and I do not let people get over on me. If you stay here keep all belongings on you at all times!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Victoria S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Victoria S,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Westbury, NY. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We Flew in from Chicago tired and hungry! Took a quick swim in the back, went for a Nap in a very cozy room. The Hotel is Very well kept in and out, the Front Desk So Professional! I was recommended Vincent's Clam Bar Italian- why not? WOW!!! The place was Packed, yet as a VIP Hotel guest we sat in ten minutes. The atmosphere was Energetic/Lively, Casual, with lots of Talk and Laughter Around... the BEST Chicken and Shrimp Parmigian we EVER had...Reminded us of an Old Homestyle Bistro. We enjoyed the Complimentary Meatballs, Cannoli Sundaes, and Lemon cellos! Loving N.Y. - Thanks Holiday Inn and Vincent's!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Kelliann H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

To Davis S,

Thank you for taking the time out to provide your feedback about your enjoyable stay. Customer Service is of the utmost importance to us and I am very happy to hear that you were provided with just that. I am also very glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy one of our local restaurants.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I was here for a long stay and was surprised to get a call from my credit card company that the hotel had charged over $6000 on one day and 5 days later charged another $5200 for a stay that all together would have only been about $3800 when paid in full. I have never had a Holiday Inn charge up front for a full stay without discussing it first much less charge $11,000!!! It took a few calls to the get this reversed and never given an answer as to how this happened.

Next was the business center that had a printer out of ink for over a week. I asked each day and was told it would be fixed. Unacceptable for this to happen at a Holiday Inn property and even more so when there is a Staples right across the street...GO BUY A CARTRIDGE!! The computers also seemed to take a lot of abuse as 1 of the 2 was not working properly most of the time I was there.

Next is the lack of security, the parking is on the back of the building and the key lock did not work the entire stay, ANYONE could access the hotel and not be seen by the front desk.

The housekeeping staff is EXCELLENT!! They go to every measure to make your stay pleasant. The hotel is older but the rooms are clean.

The pool area gets a lot of use and the crowd really disrespects it and the other guest. Saw a group take over one evening and it was very uncomfortable for anyone outside of their party to have a good time. They were being served poolside by the restaurant and were even eating in the pool, GROSS!!

All in all not the worst place I have ever stayed but might be the worst Holiday Inn I have stayed at.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank glendale215

Dear glendale215,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are glad you found our staff to be excellent. Please accept our sincerest apology for the problems you had with your bill. We are glad that this was taken care of. We also apologize our Business center and pool facility did not live up to your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My family and I just left this hotel. My son is attending a nearby university in the fall and we were there for his orientation. We have stayed at this hotel before and will again next time. Very clean rooms, very nice we'll maintained property. We had a problem with our tv remote and someone was in our oom to fix it within two minutes. Wes at the desk was more Than helpful, as was every person we cme into contact with, from maintenance, to the pool, to the front desk, to room service. All smiling, helpful and friendly. Good job to all of you for making us all fel welcome! Thank you so much!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor. Very quiet there! Slept like babies!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Lisa L,

Thank you for taking the time out to let us know what an enjoyable stay you had!
I have passed on your kind words to Wes as well as the Holiday Inn team. I am delighted to hear that you found your home away from home when visiting your son at school.

I look forward to seeing you again soon on your next visit.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Holiday Inn Westbury was a pleasant surprise. During our stay we enjoyed one day that we stayed at the hotel. We had breakfast in the restaurant, worked out in the fitness center, enjoyed the pool, had drinks (interesting margaritas, martinis and others) by the pool. The pool was an oasis in the middle of the city. We enjoyed room service as we lounged in our room in the evening. The location was great for us as we caught the Long Island Railroad. It was a 5 block walk to the hotel. When we needed a car there is an Avis car rental in the hotel. We even caught a NICE (Nassau Inter-County Express) bus which stops right in front of the hotel. The building is not new but is well maintained. The only thing I would have improved was our air conditioner which took a long time to cool our room off when we first arrived.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the pool. It is a lot nicer than the parking lot!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear BootsyDawg,

Thank you for taking the time out to share your experience about your past stay. I am very happy to hear that this was a pleasant surprise for you, and am very delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy the great amenities that we have on property.
I thank you for your feedback and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We recently stayed 4 nights at this property for a conference my wife was attending. We found the property to be perfect as our base camp to explore Long Island and NYC. The hotel itself had a slight hallway smell, probably from years of smokers but the room was very good. The bed was stiff but very nice and the room darkening shades worked perfect when you wanted to sleep in. We ordered a roll-away unit with an extra comforter for our son and that bed was very good. We also ordered the fridge and microwave unit for the room for $10 per day but it was worth it. The pool was cold and a bit dirty but the pool and outdoor dining area grounds were very nice. The workout room was sufficient although on this trip there was not time to work out. Parking was free and the location was minutes from the train into the city. The staff was great and the bar and restauarant attached were adequate. I would recommend this property. Make sure your bathroom is not a handicap room as the counter-top was small.

Room Tip: Don't get a 1st floor on the parking lot side
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear MichiganTrevor ,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about our location. I apologize that the hallways seemed to have a scent to them, we are looking into this and will be taking care of it.

We strive to make our guests comfortable and happy during their stay. I am very happy that you were able to try all of the wonderful amenities that we have here on property. I am also very pleased to hear that you have made this your "home base".

We look forward to seeing you again when you are in the area. Thank you again.

(56) 997-5000 ext 421

SpringHill Suites Carle Place Garden City
Hilton Garden Inn Westbury
Courtyard by Marriott Westbury Long Island
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection

Been to Holiday Inn Westbury? Share your experiences!