“Kind of OK”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Carle Place
Miami, Florida
“Kind of OK”
Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is ok, rooms are clean and you will receive a newspaper every morning. There was a very little choice for breakfast, no hot food. Also it was a bit tricky to get the shower working, needed to use a lot of force. All in all, it is ok.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ronald B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
With the many options for lodging in the area, I thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel.

As a courtesy to our guests, we are offer a free "Continental Breakfast".

Please note that our new restaurant, Sporting News Grill is slated to open this forthcoming July.

Best regards,

-Ronald Britt, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Millstone, New Jersey
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Gave a lecture at a conference and they put me up in this property. Older building but clean; complimentary continental breakfast was OK...staff was VERY helpful...a good night's stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
RonaldBritt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Our entire hotel is newly renovated with the exception of our restaurant which is opening in July.
However, this area has tons of restaurants within walking distance and great shopping.
I thank you for your wonderful comments and hope to host you again soon.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 9, 2012

The front desk could not have been nicer over the phone and in person. The restaurant is undergoing a renovation and the hotel staff could not have been nicer providing a free continental breakfast, a refrigerator in our rooms and a nice mini bar.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
RonaldBritt, Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
On behalf of our front desk and breakfast team, I thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful comments and experience.

Again, thank you and we hope to host you again soon whenever your travels bring you back to the area.

Clarence, New York
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I really have no complaints about this property. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I was disappointed the property was still being renovated, no restaurant or adjoining bar. They still did offer a free continental breakfast in a lower alternate location which was fine. I would have rated the "Value" higher if it werent for the endless renovation and no resturant/bar.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and they were happy to help put me in a less populated area.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
RonaldBritt, Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
I am glad to hear that you had excellent service, clean accommodations and enjoyed our free continental breakfast!

Yes, we are renovating our restaurant to a Sporting News Grill & Bar, sports-themed casual dining restaurant. We expect the project to be completed and the restaurant open within the next 6 to 8 weeks.

I thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience.

Best Regards,
-Ronald Britt, GM
New Jersey
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Check in was smooth. The rooms were a nice size and updated recently. The beds were slightly uncomfortable, but overall it was a great stay.

They had a small continental breakfast in the morning with bagels, muffins, coffee, and tea. Small, but it was nice not having to go out anywhere to get a quick bite for breakfast.

They are currently in the process of adding on a restaurant/bar which will be a great addition when it is finished. The construction did not bother our stay at all.

Will be back next time I'm in town.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dks61885
RonaldBritt, Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review, we truly appreciate the feedback.
As noted, we do offer a free continental breakfast daily from 6am to 10am. We have finished the renovation/remodel of the hotel public spaces and guestrooms and we are glad that you like it!
We hope to host you again whenever you are back in the area.
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This hotel is advertising itself as being 'completely rennovated'. To me, the rooms are more like 'decorated'. I've stayed here before the rennovations and after and its basically the same place with some new wallpaper, carpet and bedspreads. You will notice that the windows are still the 80s style glass pane windows with the metal underneath. You will notice that the doors are still the metal 80s apartment building style door. Mine happened not to really fit the frame right, so there were always little cracks of light around the door frame where the door closed ... and the door didn't close unless you gave it a good yank.

The bathroom vanity was nice but I would agree that there is no place to put toiletries if you have more than a few. The shower and showerhead didn't seem all that rennovated to me. A plain white plastic shower insert on the wall and an older tub. The wallpaper was a new silvery kind of design that really didn't fit the room. I am tall and the showerhead was at a place on the wall where I had to really bend down to get under it.

The decor was kind of modern but it didn't really fit with the hotel overall. It seemed to kind of want to be a Hotel Indigo in a Holiday Inn. The restaurant was closed, but the lobby actually was very appealing. If the rooms looked more like the lobby, I would be inclined to look past the 80s doors and windows. However, there was just something kind of bland and depressing about the room. I didn't really feel comfortable in the room. And ... the walls are thin enough where you could hear the person next door pretty clearly.

BE CAREFUL TO MAKE 100% SURE TO CALL THE HOTEL BEFORE YOU ARRIVE TO RE-EMPHASIZE YOUR ROOM CHOICE. I was given 2 twin beds, which I practically didn't fit on. I was sure that I booked a King bed online. They told me they were sold out and couldn't do anything. This seems to be a common theme in the reviews of this hotel.

I agree about the parking situation being a little sketchy. I was lucky to get a spot on the side near the entrance. But I don't know in this area how I would feel about leaving my car in the back. Or if I was female walking from the darker back through to the front of the hotel.

I didn't have a bad stay ... but I wouldn't really return unless I needed to. The rooms weren't comfortable, the parking wasn't ideal and I felt as though this was just an average, 80s Holiday Inn with some modern paint colors and furniture. The area does have a lot of things to do and places to eat and a mall and shopping next door. It is pretty centrally located and the traffic didn't get bad for such a busy street.

Room Tip: Make sure you call the day before your trip and make sure you are getting the room type you want. I...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
RonaldBritt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
We are aware that not every guest will 100% like the new renovations. I am glad to hear that you did have a good stay though and service was good, which is what matters most.

Please call me on my direct line at your earliest convenience, so that we may discuss your comments.

516-213-91111 I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your feedback and best regards,

Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed March 6, 2012

This was a 2-night stay in February 2012 which was mixed, some good and some bad.

The renovation was still going on while I was there, but I didn't notice it very much as I had a 1st floor room down the main hall from the lobby. The manager who checked me in (cannot recall his name unfortunately) was very nice and professional and offered to buy me a drink in the hotel bar to make up for the renovations going on. I checked in with the "old" lobby decor and checked out with the "new" modern decor - quite a contrast and it looked good.

The building is an old one and you can see it both on the outside and in the corridors, and even the room doors look very old. But the rooms have been mostly upgraded and renovated - quite a contrast from what you see driving up to the property and walking the halls to your room.

One thing that struck me was the room I was in (standard 1BR King) was very "white" - both in the walls and with very bright lighting, so I suppose it was a good thing considering it was dark and cold outside. Comfortable king bed, sitting chair, work desk with ergonomic chair - no complaints. I slept good both nights.

I usually am a top-floor guy but there was no noise or feet from rooms above.

Traffic is very busy and constant on the street outside but I did not notice it inside the hotel as it sits perpendicular to the road. Just be aware it'll be hard to make a left turn out of the hotel parking lot if you are going that way, at any time of the day or night.

Plenty of shopping and dining nearby. There's a brand new shopping center being built across the street that will have a Trader Joes among other stores when it's done in another year or two. You are very close drive to other major shopping malls. PF Changs is close by for a yummy dinner and a Panera too.

A few things that weren't up to par:
- The wireless internet was spotty - at times it worked great and at times it faded out and had to repair the connection to get it going again. I don't know if that is renovation related or not. (Free business center in basement was very good)
- The bathroom is a mixed bag. The vanity space is VERY small - if you have a lot of toiletries you will be hard-pressed to find space for them. The marble floor is nice. The shower head was not sealed to the wall so it banged whenever moved. Looks like they didn't replace the shower or tile as it was old with noticeable dirt in the grout.
-The parking could use some improvement. There is plenty of it and free. There is a lot on the side of the hotel - but not side entrance so if you are in the middle you'll walk a bit. There is a huge lot it the back, but the lighting was only partially on when I was there. This made the lot very, very dark and the hotel adjoins a neighborhood and some other businesses with open access to the parking lots - I saw some people who were very obviously not hotel guests loitering around the in the back parking lot and on bikes. If you are single/solo traveler be aware of this if coming in after dark. I hope they have fixed the lighting because honestly it's a bit unnerving if you are alone and fumbling to get your room key out to get in the back entrance.

Would I come back here? Maybe, maybe not. It served it's purpose but was not outstanding in any way.

Room Tip: Get a room set back off the road for the most quietness. Note there are only front and back entranc...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
RonaldBritt, Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I truly appreciate the feedback.
All items mentioned have been addressed and were seemingly one-time occurances in regards to the lights and etc.
Since your stay, we have completed our inside room and hallway renovation/remodel.
We hope to host you again when you return to the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carle Place
#3 of 4 in Garden City
Hyatt Place Garden City
Hyatt Place Garden City
#1 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Holiday Inn Westbury? Share your experiences!