“'Rennovated'? More like 'Decorated'”

Holiday Inn Westbury
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Carle Place
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This hotel is advertising itself as being 'completely rennovated'. To me, the rooms are more like 'decorated'. I've stayed here before the rennovations and after and its basically the same place with some new wallpaper, carpet and bedspreads. You will notice that the windows are still the 80s style glass pane windows with the metal underneath. You will notice that the doors are still the metal 80s apartment building style door. Mine happened not to really fit the frame right, so there were always little cracks of light around the door frame where the door closed ... and the door didn't close unless you gave it a good yank.

The bathroom vanity was nice but I would agree that there is no place to put toiletries if you have more than a few. The shower and showerhead didn't seem all that rennovated to me. A plain white plastic shower insert on the wall and an older tub. The wallpaper was a new silvery kind of design that really didn't fit the room. I am tall and the showerhead was at a place on the wall where I had to really bend down to get under it.

The decor was kind of modern but it didn't really fit with the hotel overall. It seemed to kind of want to be a Hotel Indigo in a Holiday Inn. The restaurant was closed, but the lobby actually was very appealing. If the rooms looked more like the lobby, I would be inclined to look past the 80s doors and windows. However, there was just something kind of bland and depressing about the room. I didn't really feel comfortable in the room. And ... the walls are thin enough where you could hear the person next door pretty clearly.

BE CAREFUL TO MAKE 100% SURE TO CALL THE HOTEL BEFORE YOU ARRIVE TO RE-EMPHASIZE YOUR ROOM CHOICE. I was given 2 twin beds, which I practically didn't fit on. I was sure that I booked a King bed online. They told me they were sold out and couldn't do anything. This seems to be a common theme in the reviews of this hotel.

I agree about the parking situation being a little sketchy. I was lucky to get a spot on the side near the entrance. But I don't know in this area how I would feel about leaving my car in the back. Or if I was female walking from the darker back through to the front of the hotel.

I didn't have a bad stay ... but I wouldn't really return unless I needed to. The rooms weren't comfortable, the parking wasn't ideal and I felt as though this was just an average, 80s Holiday Inn with some modern paint colors and furniture. The area does have a lot of things to do and places to eat and a mall and shopping next door. It is pretty centrally located and the traffic didn't get bad for such a busy street.

Room Tip: Make sure you call the day before your trip and make sure you are getting the room type you want. I...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
RonaldBritt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

We are aware that not every guest will 100% like the new renovations. I am glad to hear that you did have a good stay though and service was good, which is what matters most.

Please call me on my direct line at your earliest convenience, so that we may discuss your comments.

516-213-91111 I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your feedback and best regards,

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Westbury

Reviewed March 6, 2012

This was a 2-night stay in February 2012 which was mixed, some good and some bad.

The renovation was still going on while I was there, but I didn't notice it very much as I had a 1st floor room down the main hall from the lobby. The manager who checked me in (cannot recall his name unfortunately) was very nice and professional and offered to buy me a drink in the hotel bar to make up for the renovations going on. I checked in with the "old" lobby decor and checked out with the "new" modern decor - quite a contrast and it looked good.

The building is an old one and you can see it both on the outside and in the corridors, and even the room doors look very old. But the rooms have been mostly upgraded and renovated - quite a contrast from what you see driving up to the property and walking the halls to your room.

One thing that struck me was the room I was in (standard 1BR King) was very "white" - both in the walls and with very bright lighting, so I suppose it was a good thing considering it was dark and cold outside. Comfortable king bed, sitting chair, work desk with ergonomic chair - no complaints. I slept good both nights.

I usually am a top-floor guy but there was no noise or feet from rooms above.

Traffic is very busy and constant on the street outside but I did not notice it inside the hotel as it sits perpendicular to the road. Just be aware it'll be hard to make a left turn out of the hotel parking lot if you are going that way, at any time of the day or night.

Plenty of shopping and dining nearby. There's a brand new shopping center being built across the street that will have a Trader Joes among other stores when it's done in another year or two. You are very close drive to other major shopping malls. PF Changs is close by for a yummy dinner and a Panera too.

A few things that weren't up to par:
- The wireless internet was spotty - at times it worked great and at times it faded out and had to repair the connection to get it going again. I don't know if that is renovation related or not. (Free business center in basement was very good)
- The bathroom is a mixed bag. The vanity space is VERY small - if you have a lot of toiletries you will be hard-pressed to find space for them. The marble floor is nice. The shower head was not sealed to the wall so it banged whenever moved. Looks like they didn't replace the shower or tile as it was old with noticeable dirt in the grout.
-The parking could use some improvement. There is plenty of it and free. There is a lot on the side of the hotel - but not side entrance so if you are in the middle you'll walk a bit. There is a huge lot it the back, but the lighting was only partially on when I was there. This made the lot very, very dark and the hotel adjoins a neighborhood and some other businesses with open access to the parking lots - I saw some people who were very obviously not hotel guests loitering around the in the back parking lot and on bikes. If you are single/solo traveler be aware of this if coming in after dark. I hope they have fixed the lighting because honestly it's a bit unnerving if you are alone and fumbling to get your room key out to get in the back entrance.

Would I come back here? Maybe, maybe not. It served it's purpose but was not outstanding in any way.

Room Tip: Get a room set back off the road for the most quietness. Note there are only front and back entranc...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
RonaldBritt, Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I truly appreciate the feedback.
All items mentioned have been addressed and were seemingly one-time occurances in regards to the lights and etc.
Since your stay, we have completed our inside room and hallway renovation/remodel.
We hope to host you again when you return to the area.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Chose this hotel based on location of business trip. It was under heavy renovation. This was an extended stay and upon check in, they could not honour choice of room that was confirmed on reservation. The manager got involved and said he would be able to have me change rooms the next night, which unfortunately meant no unpacking and having to move in the midst of a busy work schedule. Checked in to room in what seemed a hallway and rooms that were being completely renovated having to walk through dozens of construction workers (not the most comfortable for a woman traveling solo)
Upon a late night of work past 1 a.m. upon return to hotel Night manager said they had found me another room and I could move in. Not so easy, wrong room # and after a long walk with luggage, back to reception. Tried again, and now the key doesn't work. The mgr. could not leave the desk and so back again trudging to another room finally after 1 a.m. could I unpack and get settled.
While I appreciate the managers accomodation, it was an unneccesary stress that could have been avoided had the confirmed room type been right in the first place.
The on-going construction and drilling began early in the morning and workers were present all the time. A less convenient elevator needed to be used due to closure of main one.
All that being said, the room was very clean and comfortable. I was in a refurbished room.
There is a free continental breakfast (basic) and a coffee machine in the lobby.
What was comforting is there were many airline stewards and pilots throughout the week before their flights. I think the hotel will run much smoother once the renovations are complete. Will need to stay in the area again soon and hope that they have completed their work.
They also have an excellent business center located beneath the lobby.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
RonaldBritt, Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Since your stay, we have completed our inside room and hallway renovation. As you noted, we hope to host you again when you return to the area.
Please call me personally at the hotel 516-997-5000 prior to making your reservation so that I may ensure your stay is 100% excellent.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

This hotel literally stole my belongings. I stepped out for breakfast to come back an find that they gave my room to someone else! I was checked in and given a key to a room that was inaccessible due to construction. I had to walk through dryway and the was a huge fridge and appliances blocking the hallway. I went downstairs with pictures I took with my phone Of the chaos and the lady at the front took care of me extremely well. Placed me on a separate floor and was very nice. After I was checked into my room, I received a phone call to stop by the front desk to speak with the manager. So I eventually did and he took care of me very well for the inconvenience I had experienced. Very nice people. I finished my day, then went to sleep. I woke up around 7 and went out to breakfast at a diner. I was running some errands after and called the hotel at 9ish and spoke with LAUREN to extend my stay. She said that was fine and to just come down with the room keys so she can re scan them. I let her know I can be there around 1. She said no problem. Such a nice girl right? ...Wrong! I get back to the hotel only to find out that she checked me out!! AND gave my room away to someone else!!! WITH ALL MY BELONGINGS IN THE ROOM!! She said housekeeping cleaned the room and it was considered "vacant". Now- in all your experiences in your lifetimes of hotel stays, have you ever heard something so obscure?? I still am in shock over this. Not only did she not admit she was in the wrong, she argued with me over the room being empty. When all my belongings were still in there. Regardless of all that... Who secretly checks someone out and then occupies it with new people within a half an hour of me being gone. She said since I was IN my room when she decided I should be that it was considered vacant. The hotel manager came over and apologized a dozen times and had remembered me. The DM even came over. They got my phone number to contact me if the "found" my belongings. I'm still waiting for them. But wow.... Never ever ever ever stay at this place if you plan to breath outside air. Don't go out for a cigarette because when you go back to your room, there might be people in it.

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank Freque
RonaldBritt, Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Belongings were left and placed in lost & found. Once contacted, we shipped to you (which you received). I personally handled this for you.
Please call me at 516-997-5000 so we can discuss your issue further.
Thank you and best regards.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed one nite, very convient to westbury theatre. Lots of resturants on same block. Room very nice, very clean bathroom ( I always check first). Confortable bed. Only concern was the back door to the back hallway had tape to prevent door from locking. And the place to swipe your room card to gain access was covered over with duck tape. Thus the back door was always unlocked. Felt this made for a very unsafe stay. I would not stay again unless I was with my husband.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
RonaldBritt, Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

I apologize for the issue with the back door. We did experience a problem with the lock which was fixed immeadiately when the part arrived. In the interim, we did have a security guard posted there to ensure all of guests safety while the entire locking system was being replaced.
I thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your room cleanliness and comfortable bed.
Best regards,

Reviewed October 22, 2011

Other than the carpet in my room that could have used a good vacuuming, I really have nothing bad to say about this hotel. It’s a newly refurbished Holiday Inn; clean, comfortable and convenient (369 Old Country Road). My room had a new flat screen television, radio, linens and curtains. This hotel is nothing fancy mind you; it’s just a decent, reliable, hotel that is perfectly fine for an overnight or two. As I was traveling for business, this place fit the bill perfectly.

The front desk staff was very friendly upon check-in, as well as check-out. The hotel provides a “complementary” breakfast in the morning; I only got a coffee to go, but the restaurant looked extremely clean and the food looked perfectly fine; danish, bagels, muffins, fruit, cereal, etc.

My room was located on the first floor and had a view of the pool/garden area. Too bad it wasn’t warm enough to swim. The hotel also has a small workout facility, nothing too high-tech, but good enough for a quick work out. And above all, having free Internet access was much appreciated!

I will definitely return to this Holiday Inn the next time I’m on the Island for business!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool/garden view; quieter!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

The team here at Holiday Inn Westbury works to ensure all guests receive excellent service and have a great stay as you did. We thank you for your kind comments.
Hope to host you again soon whenever your travels bring you back to the Long Island NY area.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

looks like completely redone since our last stay/newly furnished rooms,very clean,lots of towels and new flat screen tv.wi fi excellent.breakfast more than adequate and restaurant shows lots of promise. would definitely return

Room Tip: ask for pool view
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
RonaldBritt, Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel, we truly appreciate your business! I am happy to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. As noted, the rooms were renovated and are are new.
Again, thank you for your wonderful comments and we hope to host you again soon.
Best ragards,

SpringHill Suites Carle Place Garden City
Hampton Inn Garden City
Hampton Inn Garden City
#2 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Holiday Inn Westbury? Share your experiences!