“What a disappointment for $135 per night”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cape Vincent
The Roxy - Hotel, Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #1 of 4 Cape Vincent B&B and Inns
The Villages, FL
“What a disappointment for $135 per night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Nicely appointed room using antique furniture, nice bed linens, and towels.. Now for the down side. The airconditioner is a heat pump. We couldn't get the temperature in the room below 82 until after 2AM. (There were no direcrions for use of the A/C). The mattress WAS WRAPPED IN PLASTIC. Imagine how comfortable it would be trying to sleep in an 80+ degree room on a sheet and mattress pad that sat on a plastic wrapper. At 2:15 AM I dresssed and went down to the check in area with my A/C remote in my hand to get some instructions. No one there. While looking around the lobby, I saw the fire alarm system monitor which said, "Problem with telcom line 2". Makes one feel comfortable in a 117 year old building. The bathroom toilet seat was dirty. Obviously the maid never lifted the lid. The unique RFID entry card system is not explained to guests upon checkin. Only after frustration trying to use the front door, I went into the bar (Mongahan's Irish Pub) which was empty on the Saturday night of French Weekend at 10:00 PM looking for help. I did receive the info but is different from any door entry card I have ever used.
Be careful that your room is not the one that has the bathroom across the hall.

Room Tip: Across the street is a small motel that is clean and 1/3rd the price
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JohnNDonna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Tulsa, OK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

With over 100 years of presence in the area, still has a beautiful charm. 100 yards off the water equating to a beautiful view. Restaurant/bar had great service.

Renovation left nothing untouched with beautiful architecture to beautiful craftsmanship in the furniture.

For an enjoyable summer weekend, this is where I wanna be.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank hotel_critic21
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

My mother and I stayed here for one night in mid October. The hotel definitely looks to be recently refurbished and the decor was very nice (obviously an Irish decor with beautiful wood and stained glass windows). Our room was small with a king bed, but perfect for one night. Everything in the room was new, including a flat screen TV with tons of channels to choose from. The bathroom was also modern and clean with a great shower. We also ate dinner in the pub located off the lobby. Great food with a nice selection! I would definitely stay here again, but would get a bigger room if it was for more than one night.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank chrisully11
Liverpool, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

Husband and I stayed a weekend in the Roxy. Staff extremely nice and rooms were perfect. Very upscale for this sleepy little town. Restaurant was busy busy busy. we waited 35 minutes for a table and it was worth it. Food was excellent and so was the service.
We will surely be back next summer.

Room Tip: room 21 is huge!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Owen N
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

I have to preface this brief review by stating that I actually have not stayed overnight at the hotel so I can't comment on the rooms or anything like that. My review is based purely on the pub and restaurant. My family and I visit Cape Vincent from Texas every year to see my grandfather and enjoy the tranquility of the area. This year, we were pleasantly surprised to see the renovations done on the Roxy, and it was great to see money being invested into an aging village such as Cape Vincent.

Well one of those fine evenings during our visit, we decided to visit the Roxy and have dinner. I was astounded at the decor and the ambience of the place, which gave a true feeling of a proud, Irish pub. The woodwork is fantastic and the entire place was very clean. The bar area was separate from the dining area, which is a very nice touch. Also, you have the choice to dine outdoors.

The entire staff was extremely friendly, and from the time we got there and throughout our dinner, they treated us well, laughing and joking with us and with eachother. The waitresses were very attentive and I never felt like we went without anything for long, including drinks or food.

I started off ordering a Guinness beer, which I normally do not do. It happened to be the best Guinness I've had in a long time, chilled and poured perfectly. For food, I ordered the baked haddock, which was absolutely marvelous.

Our party was fairly large, and we showed up early enough to be accommodated quickly. Again, the staff was very helpful as we had originally decided to dine outdoors, but due to the weather we changed our minds. It was no problem as we were quickly whisked indoors without a single complaint or huff from the staff.

The dining area filled up quickly with locals and people who knew eachother and came to have a good time. Everything about the place, from the decor and lighting, cheery staff, wonderful service, and excellent food and drink, added to an outstanding atmosphere and experience. I will be returning every time we return to the Cape!!!

• Stayed September 2011
6 Thank Xenoslayer33
Adirondack, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

I was excited to stay t the "new" Roxy Hotel after it was restored. It opened the beginning of July but they are still working out the kinks. It is really quite expensive for the area, $125-$135.00 but it is quite nicely appointed and has a great looking bathroom. I think that once they work out all the bugs with the place, and moderate the prices a bit, it might be a nice place to stay. After being disappointed by one to many kinks one to many times, I decided to check out. I was given a full refund which I thought was justified. Maybe next year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
#2 of 6 in Cape Vincent
Marina Inn & Suites
Marina Inn & Suites
#4 of 4 in Sackets Harbor

Been to The Roxy - Hotel, Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!