“Served its purpose”

University Suites Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Canton
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We arrived at the hotel late. Thankfully, our room was ready and waiting. It was clean and roomy which I liked. It was three of us to one room so the extra space was very important to me. The walls, however, were thin. There was a little kid next door who was loud enough to be my morning alarm clock. We did not eat at the hotel (breakfast is included) but it did look good. Eggs, waffle, hot/cold cereal, coffee, tea and juice. I would return when I am back in the area.

Room Tip: Decent rate, especially if you book online and in advance.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank RoxanneNY

Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

There's really nothing wrong with this hotel. Clean room, quiet, free breakfast, nice staff, nice looking lobby. But the front doors--two sets--look like they're used as a freight entrance to a commercial building. They used to be white. Now, I'm not sure. Did you see the movie No Country for Old Men? Remember the police station floor after the cop is murdered? The doors of this hotel look like that. Also, the wifi doesn't work.
And it was not cheap--$110 on Priceline. So get some paint and a better router and we're all set.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank MitchfromLI
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My family (myself, husband and one-year-old twins) recently stayed at this hotel for 6 nights while visiting relatives and attending a memorial service. We travel often; the staff at this hotel was, hands down, the best customer service we've ever received at any hotel we've ever stayed at.

We had a fireplace/whirlpool suite on the third floor; it was spacious, had a refrigerator (which ran a little too cold and froze some of our drinks, but it was no big deal) and microwave, a large flat-screen TV. The bathroom had a shower, stool and sink. The closet was large enough for all of our dresses and suits. The dresser was large enough to hold all of the clothes for a family of four.

Breakfast was fantastic! A nice sitting room with tables. A variety of breakfast foods -- waffles (with regular and cinnamon batter), eggs, meats, yogurt, cereal, breads, muffins, donuts, fresh fruit, juices, coffee, water, etc. It was hot and good and easy to access. The hours were reasonable.

The maid service was wonderful. The maids were fast and efficient and friendly. They were kind to my children (as was the entire staff... in fact, they were patient when the twins were running through the lounge as my husband got the car. Even gave them cookies.). They even let us borrow their high chair and booster seat at night so we could have the twins contained comfortably during dinner at my grandmother's house!

Fresh fruit was available 24 hours a day... cookies were available in the evening. There was a small convenience store in the lobby to purchase a snack or pop/water, as well as there being vending machines throughout the hotel. The laundry facility (washer/dryer) was easy to use. There was a room with an arcade game, pool table and foosball table.

We were treated kindly, and the hotel's accommodation exceeded our expectation. We WILL stay at this hotel the next time we visit Canton.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Came for a hockey weekend. The place is tired and could use sprucing up but it was clean and comfortable. Coffee was really good! Room was really hot and we had to put on the air conditioner despite the freezing temps outside. Room was quite large. No complaints but no great praise.

Room Tip: Liked the room next to the balcony on the 2nd floor since it was not too close to elevator but had n...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We arrived on January 30th, 2014. Their parking lot was an icy, slushy mess. Thus, the walk from the car into the hotel was, to say the least, dangerous. Check in was friendly and fast. The hotel is dated but you really don't have many options in this area. For what you get, this hotel is extremely pricey; Its not a good value. I requested a room with 2 double beds and received a room with only one king. On a side note, the reservation you print out does not show the type of room you requested. They could not accommodate my request because the said the were booked. The room had a sofa sleep but the front desk clerk said it was broken and offered to bring me up a folding bed. We made due with the one king. The little fridge was not turned on and when we turned it on it did not get very cold. The bathroom was ok, again old and dated. Forget about water pressure though...there was none. All in all, this hotel should change it's name to Econo Lodge. The name is all wrong, not to mention the price they charge. I guess when you are one of three hotels in the area you can charge whatever you want. I personally,can not wait for some new hotels to come to town. I think they are building a new one on Route 11 in Potsdam. Hopefully it's a different chain. I have stayed at a couple of Choice Hotels and haven't been impressed one bit.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Arthur H
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is a nice hotel. Rooms are roomy, clean qn bright. The included breakfast is very good. I didn't have time to use the pool or exercise room.
We would stay there again.
It was pretty busy on Dec. 24; less so on Dec. 25.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gouverneur
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed in a third floor room (306) in mid December on a lousy wintry night. Check in was fine and I had a room with a king size bed and a roomy bathroom that had a 'jacuzzi tub' big enough for two. Bed was comfy. The tub took a long time to fill - since I was the only one using the room. Sleep was fine. The 'continental' breakfast included waffles, bagels, yogurt, juice and coffee. The room was clean. The 'cabinetry' showed signs of wear as the doors sagged a little. There was a mini-fridge, microwave and in-room coffee maker. Overall my stay was very good. The motel didn't seem very crowded - so it might be different on another date and/or time of year. Only one elevator for 3 floors. I looked in on the pool and fitness room but didn't have the time to use either.

Room Tip: Possibly a room on a higher floor might be nicer and quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canton
Best Western University Inn
#3 of 5 in Potsdam
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 7 in Massena

Been to University Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!