“Reasonable rate for a decent overnight in the North Country, NY”

University Suites Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Canton
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed in a third floor room (306) in mid December on a lousy wintry night. Check in was fine and I had a room with a king size bed and a roomy bathroom that had a 'jacuzzi tub' big enough for two. Bed was comfy. The tub took a long time to fill - since I was the only one using the room. Sleep was fine. The 'continental' breakfast included waffles, bagels, yogurt, juice and coffee. The room was clean. The 'cabinetry' showed signs of wear as the doors sagged a little. There was a mini-fridge, microwave and in-room coffee maker. Overall my stay was very good. The motel didn't seem very crowded - so it might be different on another date and/or time of year. Only one elevator for 3 floors. I looked in on the pool and fitness room but didn't have the time to use either.

Room Tip: Possibly a room on a higher floor might be nicer and quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 13, 2013

First and foremost, all staff associated with this property were extremely friendly and kind. Check in/out was quick and smooth. The heat in the room worked very well and the bathroom was clean and appeared to be recently updated.

The room itself including wallpaper, furniture, bedding, and layout all needs to be addressed.

Although the location is off the beaten path, it is w/in 1.5 miles to restaurants and St. Lawrence University-which is probably why the great majority of people find themselves in Canton.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I just returned from a major sporting event at SUNY Canton. There are very few options in the immediate area and the Comfort Inn achieved its purpose. Rooms were very large (my suite could easily sleep 5-6) plus microwave and refrigerator, continental breakfast, and decent pool area. Although the view is less than desirable (grain factory and gravel pit across the street), the proximity to restaurants, gas stations, etc. made it fine. I had family who stayed at the Best Western just a quarter of a mile down the road...they paid $20 less, but didn't get the breakfast and had smaller rooms (though their hotel did have a restaurant and bar in-house). Let's face it...this is a remote area, off the beaten path in Upstate New York. It is what it is.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CincyTouring
Reviewed November 1, 2013

By far this is one of the worst hotels I have stayed at in years. And knowing that there are very limited options in the area, and that all the hotels here are older, I have fairly low expectations.

Upon entering my room I was so disgusted that I told the front desk I would need a different room. While he was friendly and did accommodate my request to switch rooms, the second room was not any better.
The room was awful, not even close to clean. Granted the hotel is dated and most definitely needs an update, but anything short of a full remodel would not be nearly enough. The shower was so filthy that I opted to not use it. The carpet so dirty that I felt like I had to keep my shoes on for fear of what might be living on the floor. If there had been any availability at any other hotel in the area I would have moved.
I will NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RoadWarrior101010
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed overnight in the area for business this week. Was told my room "may be near the elevator" that really means right next to the elevator. Thankfully I had brought earplugs. But I could have used a bit more light. The brightest light in the whole room was the one in the closet. Breakfast was fine and check in and out were easy too. The room was nice and large, just not overly bright.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Beth Anne S
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is one of those places where you get what you expect- and that is a good thing. No, it's not high end and does not pretend to be, but it covers the important aspects of the experience. Checked in on a Friday afternoon, was a bit concerned because there were literally no cars in the parking lot. At that moment another car pulled in, also wondering why so empty.
Happily the front desk staff was there and they pleasantly checked me in. Went to the room, which I found to be spacious, well laid out, and clean. I put my baggage away, freshened up and went out to go meet my daughter at her college dorm. I walked outside and the lot was now half full. Later I found the entire lot full and the hotel virtually sold out.
Bottom line is that if you do not expect too much from a mid priced hotel, this one will not disappoint. Sure a few things could have been improved, the air-conditioning was a bit loud, but it kept the room comfortable. The shower could have more water pressure, but it was adequate. Breakfast was not fantastic, but it was good enough to get the day started and it was nice that it was included. I would definitely stay there again.
On the down side, I found it to be a bit pricey compared to similar hotels in different locations. With little competition in the area, there is a Best Western down the street but nothing else, there is no incentive to keep the price down. But hey, that's just a factor of the limited market.
Fantastic? No, but no nasty surprises.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Spent one night at the Comfort Suites while visiting my daughter at SUNY Potsdam. After reading many reviews, I was hesitant about staying there, however, once I checked in and saw the room, I was quite satisfied. The room itself is quite large. It was a cool, rainy night when we checked in, but the room was warm and cozy. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was a welcome relief after being out all day. My only minor complaint is I wished that the pillows were 2 large pillows instead of 4 small squares. Breakfast was delicious and the breakfast area was well stocked and maintained by the staff. I would not hesitate to stay there again and look forward to returning on my next visit to the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canton
Best Western University Inn
#3 of 5 in Potsdam
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 7 in Massena

Been to University Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!