White Pillars Lodging
Best Western University Inn(Canton)(Great Value!)
$176
$127
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsother guestsnorth countrycraftsman housegracious hostshomemade granolaroyal suiteadirondack roomsleeping porchliving roomhome away from homelawrence universitymy daughterdelicious breakfastsqueezed orange juicefull kitchenstayed longercraftsman style
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We have stayed at the B&B many times and have truly enjoyed every room. It's quiet, clean and comfortable. There is a great balance between the warmth and hospitality of a B&B and the serenity and privacy of a top resort.

This past summer they hired an innkeeper while they were away so there was not the feeling of emptiness from prior reviews. The owners live in the White Pillars Building and are both St. Lawrence graduates.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Driving to St L U for a soccer game. Called at 9.00 p.m. to see if they could take us that night, arriving after 1.00 a.m. NO PROBLEM. Stayed in the Adirondack Room. Spacious, comfortable. Sleeping porch (that would be fun, but not in November). Owners were friendly, warm inviting and delightful. What a great place. We did not have breakfast, but what is not to love about fresh, home made cinnamon buns. What a great place.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We were lucky to get a room here during a visit to SLU and were glad to have stayed here. What a wonderfully appointed home this is! The restored home is very comfortable and clean; breakfast was outstanding- worth every penny! Great hosts in a very peaceful area. I wish we could book all of our SLU visits here but they are sold out years in advance : (

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw were lovely, all have photos online on their website.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Close to North Country NY University towns, our stay was serene and comfortable. White Pillars has several properties to choose from; each unique and charming. Breakfast was an event. We shared the warm hospitality of Hosts John and Donna Clark with a fellow guest from Germany. We're not sure which stole the show, the perfect food or the conversation. Our only problem is that we had to leave too soon.

Room Tip: Look at online photos. Each room is unique.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My husband and I stayed at White Pillars in Jul 2008 in the Adirondak Suite. It made for a nice escape in a well-appointed house/room. The decor was theme-y without being overdone. (It is the Adirondacks after all.) Noticed real antiques and authentic high-quality materials throughout the house, as expected for a good B&B. The older home had been restored with care for its original chracter. We loved that they kept the sleeping porch as a sleeping porch, and it provided 2 out of 4 total beds we could choose to sleep from in our suite--crazy! The bathroom was bright, clean, and newly remodeled, again in quality materials. The jetted tub with lights was wild! They had a library of DVDs just outside our bedroom for quest use which was a great touch. I also noticed games downstairs. These amenities would have been handy had we been there for a longer stay, or with kids. They have put a lot of time and care into making a very comfortable and attractive place to stay and it shows.

We did not order breakfast in our package as we were visiting my alma mater and at breakfast in the dining hall there for the novelty of it. I can empathize with other reviewers who said the owners were not around, and if I did not know the area well from having gone to St Lawrence, I would be completely lost in the North Country without an innkeeper's help. My husband and I have stayed in several B&Bs and we often prefer them in unfamiliar areas because of the tradition (and somewhat of an expectation) that the hosts will be there to point you in the direction of a fun attraction or restaurant nearby. Since I knew the area quite well, we were able to take care of ourselves, however many changes had been made in the 8 years since I'd graduated and it would have been nice to hear about some of the change from the owners who are locals (and fellow alums).

Tips for good eats while you are staying: Head to Pottsdam a few miles away and go to the Cactus Grill for some pretty good Mexican at a great value. Their margaritas are very good too but college student strength so watch out! Also in Pottsdam is Sergi's Pizza. You must try a ''pizza roll'' which is basically a deep fried stromboli. Fattening as heck but SOOOO good. I have yet to find something like it although a local place will deep fry their strombolis for me but it is never the same at Sergis. Back in college, the late-night post-bar snack of choice was the pizza roll dipped in bleu cheese dressing, yes, so gross but soooo good!

All in all I would stay at White Pillars again in a heartbeat and have/will recommend to friends. We also hope to rent one of their other lodge houses as well when we head up North again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple