“A Win, on the soccer field and on our choice of B&B in Canton, NY”

24 East Main Street Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 6 Canton B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from Canton, NY where we saw our grandson and the St. Lawrence Saints win an exciting soccer playoff game. The victory was topped off by our first stay at the 24 East Main Street Bed and Breakfast. where we we charmed both by the house and by our wonderful hosts, Charles and Brooke Rouse.

The B&B has beautifully finished wooden floors, stairs, railings, newel posts and wooden trim that compliment a calming and wonderfully coordinated combination of room colors. The place is immaculately clean. The bathrooms are all new and well equipped, and the bed we slept in was very comfortable.

We were warmly greeted upon our arrival and immediately made to feel very much at home. Charles and Brooke answered all our questions about the town and the St. Lawrence area, and we just loved talking with them about their personal histories and that of their B & B. One should know that most of the design and renovation work was done by Charles himself. He is one very talented and interesting individual. So is Brooke, a lovely young community activist and who had just been elected to the Canton City Council. Charles showed another of him many talents the following morning by spoiling us with an absolutely delicious breakfast including a personally cooked New Orleans styled omelet.

To sum it all up, we loved our stay, and we will definitely return!

Kitty and Joe

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We wanted a place to stay that was within walking distance of St. Lawrence University which we were visiting for a conference. After discussion with several "locals" we chose 24 East Main Street B&B. We were told that the owners are former SLU students and that we'd be comfortable there. The advice was absolutely correct.

The Hosts:
The owners, Charles and Brooke, have created a lovely and comfy B&B. The renovation they've done over the past six years is remarkable. Ask to see their reno book and you'll be astounded at the transformation. "A silk purse from a sow's ear" comes to mind. The owners' eyes for architecture and fine handcrafted finishes is evident everywhere. They've made updates to the B&B which add immeasurably to its charm.

The Food:
The breakfasts were perfectly prepared. And the hosts remembered our preferences (soft coddled eggs on the runny side) which was great. One of the nice things about staying in a B&B is chatting with the other guests in the morning. We met authors, theatre professors and speakers who were also visiting the campus.

The Lodging:
We stayed in the Master Suite which has two rooms and a bath. The bedroom is spacious with hardwood floors and a four poster bed. The other room has a desk, single bed and large closet. In the morning my husband was able to work quietly with the door shut without waking me.

The B&B is close to the railway line -- so at night a train announced its arrival with a loud whistle. This didn't bother either of us, and we just went back to sleep.

Details:
- The B&B is wonderfully clean. Big plus for that!
- The closet is large and extra hangers were provided when I asked for them.
- Guests who like bathrobes should bring their own. I didn't pack mine and should have.
- I brought a mini-hairdryer and found they already provide one which is nice to know!
- On my wish list would be the option to have a feather pillow rather than foam. (I know it must be tricky to accommodate everyone's pillow preferences.)

Overall Rating: 24 East Main is the best B&B we've ever stayed at (cleanliness, comfort and charm). We'd stay there again and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: The third floor has the most deluxe room -- however we opted for the Master Suite as we wanted a roo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I, along with our parents were traveling from CT to see a football game at the University. What a nice surprise this B&B turned out to be. It is spotless and beautifully done. Charles and Brooke are super hosts. You feel like you are one of the family. The breakfast was super delicious. Brooke made a coffee cake and Charles made french toast , fresh eggs to order, bacon, orange juice, coffee etc. It is minutes from downtown so you can walk to the restaurants. Charles will help you make reservations because on Fridays the restaurants are really busy. The rooms even have TV's. Our bathroom had a jacuzzi tub and very spacious. It was very close to the University. I would go back there any time.

Room Tip: ask Charles about each room there is a special one on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2013

If you are looking for a place to stay in the Canton/Potsdam area, look no further! A beautifully maintained B&B with a great breakfast and lovely hosts. Doesn't get better than this. It is located right in town, so it's within easy walking distance of churches, eating places (try The Club) and the town square. Canton itself is a charming town.

Room Tip: Just be aware that there is a train that passes within 100 feet of the B&B. It may wake you up...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pwik
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and I are both SLU Alumni and came back for our 15th wedding anniversary. We wanted something other than the University Inn. We got very lucky in finding the perfect B&B. Minutes from campus and downtown, in a clean and charming, newly renovated house. It made our trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed at 24 East Main Street B & B while traveling on business. It was a last minute reservation -- it proved to be a great decision. The B & B is charming, comfortable and impeccably spotless. Charles and Brooke are friendly and professional. The custom ordered breakfast cooked by Charles was delicious and the perfect start to my busy day. The fresh roasted coffee beans were brewed into a wonderful few cups of coffee. The location is perfect if you're in town for the college. Charles' recommendation for a nearby restaurant -- the Blackbird Cafe was perfect. I highly recommend that spot as well. This was the best B & B experience I have ever had -- homey yet private. The room I stayed in, the masters suite is decorated in serene colors and was so comfortable. Even the toiletries were unique and something that I was to seek out. Handmade soaps from a local soap maker -- nice touch! I will be back the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GrassFan
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My daughter and I have been college hunting for a few months now and went to look at St. Lawrence. I always look to tripadvisor to get an idea of where to stay and what a nice stay we had.

The bed and breakfast is beautiful. You can tell they have done a lot of work from the floors to the attic. Amazing and well worth the cost to stay.

The owners, Brooke and Charles were so accommodating when I emailed a hundred times about my early departure and places to eat. Never a complaint!

We stayed on the third floor which had a room with enough space for two twin beds and a queen. There was also a jacuzzi and sauna. Amazing for the price.

Breakfast was wonderful. We will definitely be returning if my daughter decides to go to school there. A+

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dbbohner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canton
Hampton Inn Potsdam
University Suites Hotel
Best Western University Inn
North Fork Bed & Breakfast
White Pillars Lodging

Been to 24 East Main Street Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!