“No Internet”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Canastota
Blacksburg, Virginia
“No Internet”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This was a good priced place for a short stay economy room. Unfortunately the internet would not work in the room, only in the lobby. The small round table and wobbly chair would not have been conducive to any productive work anyway.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Pocono Summit, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We had booked our hotel with little advance due to our hectic schedule. When we checked in we were greeted by a friendly lady who was working overnight. I feel sorry I did not get her name as she was the only one who was actually respectable to us as guests. I feel this value as not worth the stay. The first room we were given had a pet odor (as this was a pet friendly facility). I new the room had not been properly cleaned from a previous pet because my dog immediately picked up smells on the floor and side of the bed. (As he would if marking his territory from another animal) The lights and tv also did not Work properly. We let the kind lady at the front desk know and she switched our rooms and we were grateful. I was also told their was a hidden charge for the room I had booked and I needed to pay an additional 80$ after have had already prepaid, but We were tired from our stay and decided to call it a night. I looked underneath the sheets, which were old and outdated and their were rips and stains on the bed. Being exhausted, we ripped the top sheet off and sprayed Lysol and slept there anyway (the one without the stains) We were looking for a place to crash and went to sleep. The next day at complimentary breakfast, we were given looks of disgust at what we were taking (I guess they didn't like the portions we took) There were three people and as the other two got dressed the other one got us some breakfast. If you offer complimentary items at a hotel, you shouldn't complain about what people take. The complimentary part was a joke. The bagels were frozen and thawed and the items were not fresh and stale. Secondly, as we were taking showers we noticed their was dirt and grime in the shower and the shower curtain smelled like mold and couldn't keep the water in. The drain was also broken so we had to play with plug for it to work. The toilet always had a constant flow of water although no one was constantly flushing it. We overlooked all of these things because we are just trying to have a chill time. Then we get a phone call asking if we were smoking weed in the room. We did not smoke cigarettes or weed in the room and said they were more than free to come check. The housekeeper persistently walked by our room after we did not request room service. She was very rude and kept reporting that we were smoking weed in the room. Again, their was not any cigarette nor marijuana smoke coming from our room. I did not feel safe leaving any items in the hotel room. The persistent looks from the staff were obvious and noted, and the broken screens in our room and other rooms made us nervous. There was also a side door that was not locked, which also made us question the security of the place. We left for the day and came back. In the booking, it also stated their was a fitness center, and there was not. The next day we woke up and the general manager came to our room and said we had to leave because we were smoking marijuana. Now I'm not saying we weren't partying and have a good time, but we certainly did not smoke weed inside of the hotel and asked them to produce some sort of evidence, other than "smell" as there was absolutely no smoke coming from OUR room. I asked them to run a smoke test prior to leaving so they wouldn't bill my credit card for 150 fee. They refused to do this test and I had stated that I requested it done and again they said they didn't have to. None the less I was angry because they refused to refund my money for the third night I had paid for. They called the police and asked us to leave. This place was a total waste of money and time. Not only was it unclean, it was unfriendly and unprofessional. The place was barren and empty and you would think they would at least treat their guests with some level of respect. People who go away on vacation are looking to have fun, but without question, or evidence they said we had marijuana that was "too smelly." I feel as if a hotel feels the need to kick people for smoking pot in the room, they should at least standby their word and run a smoke test. If you are looking to book this through Hotwire, don't even bother they won't care about having to refund your money. So I was in a dirty hotel, with rude employees with unrealistic views and expectations. I'm also out of money for a one night stay and feel degraded and will never stay at this hotel again. Doug the general manager would not defend his position and asked us to leave and called the police on us. I will give him credit because we were pissed off and yelling at him for his lack of evidence, but none the less his approach and his veneer were unprofessional, regardless of the circumstance. Again, standby your position and your company when disrespecting your guests. We were escorted off the property and will never return. If you want to ruin your vacation feel free to stay at this hotel. I'll post again if I end up getting lice from this place.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel if you want a good value.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
daysinn4055, General Manager at Days Inn Canastota/syracuse, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
We are a non smoking facility and smoking of any kind will not be allowed in the hotel. We will not sacrifice the health and well being of all our guests for the sake of one person. These guests were escorted from the property by police and at least one member of their party was arrested for possession of marijuana. This review is a direct attempt to smear our reputation, after we removed law breaking individuals from our property and should not be taken seriously.

Travelers are raving about these Canastota hotels

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We had to come from Florida to Syracuse for my brothers funeral. Staff was very friendly. Rooms were clean but definitely need updated. Our window didn't lock and being on the 1st floor, I was uneasy but the manager got right on it! We slept very well, beds were awesome. Thanks staff for a very quiet clean stay!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
I am sorry to hear about your brother, but am glad we could provide a comfy bed during your stay. Thank you for the kind words and hope your next visit is for a happier occasion.
Hudson Valley, New York
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Have stayed here a couple times, including last week. The rooms are quiet, the staff are pleasant, and the bed is on the soft side, but comfortable. The furniture and upholstery are clearly old and have old stains on them. Our blanket had a small, round hole in it. (an old cigarette burn, I wonder?) The lounge chairs in the room had stains on the upholstery, which is a gross thing to see (we did not sit on them). The towel rack by the sink fell down when we simply put a towel on it.

The location is great, right off the highway, and we like having the Dunkin Donuts literally steps away, right next door.

The breakfast is simple (bagels, English muffins, toast, small pastries, juice and coffee), but it is fine, and there is a fast computer in the lobby, for guest use.

So, it really should be cleaner (please replace or clean the dirty chairs and replace blankets that have holes in them!), but overall, it is a good price, and it does the job, when we need a hotel in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank dianasgarden
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed March 31, 2014

It is obvious that the owner is not putting anything back into the Inn to improve it. The bowed shower curtain rod was sagging due to one screw on each end. Luckily my boys had para cord and we tied the center up so the shower curtain would stay closed. The toilet tank leaked and therefore kept filling the tank every 5 to 10 minutes - annoying at night. The men's room near the conference room was out of order and had been for months as told by the team conducting the seminar we attended. The towels just look dirty, not clean and bright like other hotels. Strong cigarette smoke smell in the hallway when I went to tell the desk of an elephant heard upstairs at 9:30 at night. Heard returned Sunday morning. Not impressed! will never stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canastota
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona
Wingate by Wyndham Rome
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
Craftsman Inn
Craftsman Inn
#1 of 1 in Fayetteville

Been to Days Inn Canastota/syracuse? Share your experiences!