“Not as Good as Reviews Led Us to Believe”
Review of Rio Tomatlan - CLOSED

Rio Tomatlan
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We visited Rio Tomatlan on a week day for lunch in a party of four. We had seen reviews in the newspaper and had heard that it offered authentic Mexican food. We were seated promptly and provided with the obligatory salsa and tortilla chips--which did not appear to be home made and were found lacking. The menu was broad enough to provide choices for each of us. The waitress was helpful in describing the dishes offered and we did not wait long for our food. I had the Chile Rellano and really liked it. Hubby had a chimichanga with rice and beans and found all of it to be rather bland and lacking in seasoning. Our two guests felt as did my husband and indicated that it was just "ok" but couldn't see that they would drive from Rochester to return.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My sister showed us this place, which is just off the main road in Canandaigua. We went for lunch and had fresh, homemade enchiladas. The mole sauce is the best I have ever had: aromatic and exotic. I wish there was a place like it where I live; I would go there every week.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had five days in Canandaigua, and this is the one place we returned to for a second visit. We found the food items fresh, distinct, tasty - truly a step above other Mexican we've had recently. Guac was a delight, Posole was a winner, rich and spicy with strong cilantro -- but that's the 'green' posole, and and on the second visit, the posole of the day was 'red', not quite as amazing but still good. A shrimp special and blackened fish tacos were winners, and a vegetarian burro was filled with a rich mix of fresh veg, not the bell pepper and onion disappointment so many places pass off on you. These folks know their tequilas, and do a great job with them.Waitstaff were knowledgable and helpful, and we were served in a reasonable time both visits. Wild, provocative artistry (think 'day of the dead', but vaguely erotic) rounds out the experience.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We have come here three times now; most likely there won't be a fourth time. The service the last two times was so bad and it took so long to get the food that it was hard to enjoy it when we finally did get it. Way too long a wait for our party of four and the meals came out several minutes apart.
The wait for a seat was told to us 30 mins and was 50 mins. Then another 20 to take our order and about 45 till our last dish came to the table. I would have complained to a manager if there was one to be found. The food was good with an excellent presentation, everything fresh and hot. Maybe they are going through some growing pains or something but they cannot deal with a full house.
Too bad, they seemed to have a good thing going but for me, I’m staying away.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The one overwhelming impression we had after a recent dinner was how "fresh" tasting the items were - in the pico, in the tamale, and in the enchilada. And they took more care in the "presentation" than many Mexican places. The top-shelf margarita was also excellent. Service was prompt and professional. The pozole was very meaty with lots of flavorful pork, but it was missing the expected balance without any actual pozole (i.e., hominy) present. Also paying $9 for a single tamal (with no sides) seemed a bit excessive. And I also grumble a bit at any Mexican restaurant when they make you pay for the chips and salsa/pico, especially when you end up paying ~$40 for the entire meal/drinks. But overall this is one of the better Mexican places in the region.