“Very cool atmosphere”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I dined at Rio Tomatlian with my family for dinner and the atmosphere was very cool and different than the average restaurant. Our waitress, Erin was friendly and gave some good suggestions on drinks and my meal that I ordered. I had the Enchilada Rijos and that was very good, however it doesn't come with any sides (rice or beans) that needs to be ordered extra. The kids were not very fond of their taco's and didn't finish them. My husband had the taco/chalupa combo meal and he liked the chalupa but did not care for the taco's and he also wouldn't finish them. His taco's had a strong flavored ingredient that was over powering and he didn't care for. Our food came out quickly considering it was a Friday night and was getting busy. One of major pet peeves is when dirty, empty plates are left in front of me after my meal so luckily for me the bus boy removed my plate when I was finished, however everyone else at the table had theirs sit in front of them for a bit longer. I liked how the staff was friendly from the moment we walked in to the time we left.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

A friend recommended Rio Tomatlan several years ago and we have been coming back ever since. We plan trips to the Canandaigua area just so we can have lunch there. I usually try different dishes, which have always been great, but my wife only orders the Red guajillo enchiladas. Highly recommended.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I've eaten there for many years and the food is always good; I'd vote for it as the best in Canandaigua. It is not inexpensive, but is a good value. You should try it at least once, ordering something you haven't had before.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I will start by saying I usually never eat Mexican food anywhere unless there is a good sized Mexican resident population. And there are places in the US where Mexican food is great - because it is authentic. I was really skeptical of Rio Tomatlan. But my first visit was a pleasant suprprise and each time we go back my respect for this restaurant and the folks who run it keeps going up.

Rio Tomatlan is more than just an authentic Mexican restaurant, however. They use high quality and obviously fresh ingredients, including locally grown. The recipes and dishes are much more than the usual "Mexicanized/American" fare of tacos and burritos and some of the sauces are simply delicious. The rice and beans is great. Wonderful guacamole and salsa. They have good beers and tequilas and even some great wines. The value for the quality and taste and authenticity of the meals is there and you can see it because the place is often jammed, even in off tourist season.

This place deserves the great reviews it gets. One of the select very few (unfortunately) very good restaurants in Canandaigua (the others being the superb Italian deli Casa Italiana and the very good Sakura sushi restaurant).

Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my food; my husband said he would probably order something else next time. I was not very impressed by their soda selection. Would definitely go back again.