“A Special Place”

Bed & Breakfast at Oliver Phelps
Ranked #8 of 15 Canandaigua B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 9, 2012

A recent stay at the Bed & Breakfast at Oliver Phelps underscored the reasons why I love traveling to Canandaigua and the Finger Lakes. Jack and Donna were the sweetest owners Mark and I every met.
Our room was lovely, roomy and comfortable. The grounds were beautiful as well. I wish we were there in the warmer weather to be able to enjoy the yard and outdoor spa!!! The B/B is close to everything and within a comfortable walking distance to local eateries and beautiful sites.
We hope to go back soon!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
wanderlust034, Owner at Bed & Breakfast at Oliver Phelps, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

It is always very much appreciated when our guests take the time to write about their experience with us and with our community. We thank them and look forward to their return visits.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Enjoy a picturesque stay in Canandaigua on the northern tip of Lake Canandaigua at lovely Bed and Breakfast at Oliver Phelps. There is so much to do in the region which has a microbrewery, many Finger Lakes wineries, hiking and biking, nearby Erie Canal, the New York Wine and Culinary Center with restaurant and classes and more which we need to return to enjoy. The B&B at Oliver Phelps is so comfortable and in a lovely setting. Its owners are a treasury of information on the area and very accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2012

April was my birthday month and my wife Lynda made an excellent choice to finalize the birthday celebration. Beautiful house, excellent food and our host and hostess made us feell like we were visiting our best friends. See you on the walk. Fred and Lynda McKinley

Room Tip: Information about Wij connection when checking in. All rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2011

This may not qualify as timely travel advice. I only stayed at the Oliver Phelps once and that was 14 1/2 years ago. The experience was so pleasant, It changed the way I travel.

I had never stayed in a B&B before. I preferred the standard amenities and predictable housekeeping of national hotel brands. I arrived in Canandaigua late in the afternoon just looking for a bunk. There were no nationally branded lodgings. We'd have to "settle for" a B&B or motor on in search of a motel. There was a vacancy at the Oliver Phelps. We took it with misgivings. By morning, we were so enchanted with the place we extended our stay and used the B&B as our base of operations for a wine tasting vacation in the Finger Lakes. Now, whenever I travel with enough advance notice to make reservations, I surf the web looking for a B&B before I "settle for" a hotel. I've stayed in many but none left a more favorable or durable impression than the Oliver Phelps. Judging from the photos and the favorable reviews, nothing has changed. I can't honestly say that about any other place I slept in a decade simply because I have no memory of them. The Oliver Phelps left a unique and uniquely positive impression.

I don't know if I'll ever return to the Finger Lakes, but I know where I'll be staying if I do.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Wickwood room, which is the one without the bathroom in the room. Our private bathroom was just outside our bedroom door and didn't detract from the stay one bit! We loved our room, especially the fire place. Jack and Donna are excellent hosts and the breakfasts were fantastic! Jack even drew me a map for a morning run! A definite "must-visit!"

Room Tip: If you're watching your budget, consider the Wickwood room, like we did. Not having a bathroom...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I have had the pleasure of staying at Oliver Phelps for two years in a row and cannot wait to book for next season. Jack and Donna, our lovely hosts are one of the most generous and delightful couple you could ever meet. I was there for a weekend away with the girls!!! The rooms, service and FOOD were extraordinary. We felt welcome and very much at home, with one big difference - We were pampered!!! I would not hesitate for a moment to reccommend Oliver Phelps to anyone! Great for couples, friends and family. Jack and Donna thanks again for your hospitality, generosity and of course directions to all that great SHOPPING!!! Oh and yes the hot tub is a great feature! Very realaxing!!! Cannot wait to see you next year!!! All the best Franca from Toronto!

Room Tip: All the rooms are splendid! The Romance room is the largest and great for gathering if you are ther...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Jack and Donna were wonderful hosts, very friendly and helpful. The Oliver Phelps Suite was large, comfortable, very clean, and nicely decorated. We looked forward the daily gourmet breakfasts on the deck. Our hosts were very helpful with dining reservations, and suggestions for visiting local attractions. Our next visit to Canandaigua will certainly include the Bed and Breakfast at Oliver Phelps!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple