“Treated like trash”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canandaigua
Bella Rose Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 15 Canandaigua B&B and Inns
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Treated like trash”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I chose to stay at this B&B for the week of our wedding in Canandaigua. The first morning we woke up and had a midday appointment at our wedding venue and a very busy day to follow. Within 10 minutes of leaving the property Chris calls my husband irate that we had dogs and immediately evicted us, didn't give a damn that they were service dogs and the fines he could acquire when we report the discrimination to the ADA. We barely got through our 1 hour meeting without being terrified that he would be packing our stuff up, including our (very small) dogs and throwing it out on the front lawn. Mind you, I legally do not have to get prior acceptance or even tell a public venue that I have a service animal with me. The dogs were also in a play pen, not roaming around the room on the bed or furniture. There was no reason whatsoever for them to enter our room, especially the second we left, it was an invasion of privacy. We did not ask for the room to be made up and clearly that's why they don't have not disturb signs, so they can justify barging in. B&B or not, this is a business establishment... If you choose to charge people hundreds of dollars a night to stay at your establishment then you need to treat them as paying customers and run like a hotel as that's what you are, you don't get to change the rules because you live in the back half of the house. My opinion is if your that protective over your property and every last thing your customers do then you don't have the right personality to be running a hotel. Just because your a boutique establishment and serve a home cooked breakfast doesn't mean you can dictate and not follow the laws of everyone else.

Renee was nowhere to be found after the incident, assuming she was humiliated by her husbands virbally violent behavior. Chris had absolutely no compassion what so ever and made us immediately vacate the premises. And when I say immediately, I mean he wanted us to postpone our appointment with our wedding venue and immediately come back and get out. I have NEVER in my life been treated like a piece of trash from any establishment where I've brought my service animals. I have been allover the world with them, on planes, cruise ships, restaurants, etc. I also have never been spoken to in such an angry and unprofessional manner. And thats the part that was most surprising, the anger and not being reasonable and allowing us a few hours to find other accommodations.

To top off the abuse, Chris proceeded to immediately charge our credit card a $500 cleaning fee, & an unauthorized charge at that as we never signed any contract. Not to mention, NOBODY charges $500 for a cleaning fee, its always $350 if u do something in a room your not supposed to. Which not only is violating the ADA but also heartless to do to a couple getting married in 5 days, as if kicking us out on the street wasn't enough. He clearly really wanted to stick it to us. The room not only had no sign of a dog ever setting foot in there but barely people at that, as I am very neat & hang my towels and make the bed.

Chris's behavior was not only the most unprofessional behavior I have ever experienced in my entire existence but his anger towards us as he demanded we come back and vacate at once and waited at the door and base of the stairs as we stuffed our belongings into our 4 large suitcases like the place was on fire. Watched my husband lugg 4 heavy large suitcases down the staircase as he literally stood there by the door waiting to close it on our behinds as we walked out.

We called the cops and they immediately came and we filed a police report, the officer was in agreeance with us and made the report so we would have a case against them. Unfortunately the police can't do anything regarding discrimination but the ADA certaintly can.

Disgusted, absolutely disgusted that there is such cruelty in this world.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GabrielleCapo
loveinnlife, Owner at Bella Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
There are two sides to every story…

First of all, this incident occurred nearly two years ago (July 2011) and this review has been embellished over time. Now for the facts:

1. We own a small three-room B&B and clearly state on our website and confirmation letters that we accept no children or pets. This is to ensure cleanliness and quiet for all our guests. Knowing this is our policy, they said NOT a word regarding having animals to us. Not on the phone the several times they called about wedding plans nor by e-mail. Nothing.
2. As a small B&B in a residential area with fewer than five rooms, we are exempt from complying with ADA requirements, including accepting service and/or therapy animals. This is a fact. Our B&B is not a hotel, not a commercial property, not a plane, cruise ship or restaurant. Not a public place. It is our private home.
3. When they arrived we asked if we could help them with their luggage. They had a lot. They declined. There was no mention of having dogs.
4. The first morning, he came to breakfast. She arrived much later, having negotiated a full flight of stairs in a mini skirt with high heels with ease. They left for their appointment more than an hour late. There was no mention of having dogs.
5. Yes, we clean the rooms and surely for a seven-night stay (which this was going to be) they had to expect we would enter the room to restock towels, change sheets, empty trash, etc. If guests ask that we do not enter the room, we respect that wish. It is also noted in the room that we provide housekeeping service daily.
6. When we entered the room to clean, we were confronted with three dogs growling and barking in a playpen lined with pads for their “business”. Service dogs do not behave this way, but rather are well-trained, docile and in the company of their owners. These out-of-control Chihuahuas were nothing of the sort and scared us half to death.
7. The guests were immediately called and asked for an explanation. We were told that they were service dogs and that they always traveled with them because the woman was “legally blind”. When asked why was this such a big secret they said they knew our policy of no pets and they didn’t want to bring it up because they were service animals and we had no choice but to accept them. They were told to return.
8. When they returned, we questioned the “legally blind” statement since no one even wore glasses. The man changed their story of the dogs being service animals to being therapy animals, saying the woman had emotional issues.
9. Once again we were informed of their rights and that we had to allow the therapy dogs to remain. We chose to have them leave immediately for the comfort and safety of all our guests.
10. We could have charged them for their entire stay as well as the cleaning fee, but we chose to charge them only for the one night they stayed with us as well the day they left. The room was out of service for two additional days due to the extensive cleaning required. They were not charged for those days. The charge was never contested.

Yes, we felt angry, violated and deceived. We have an obligation to all our guests to uphold to what we promise – a comfortable, clean, pet-free and child-free environment. These people did not care about anything or anyone but themselves, and truly use the service dog “system” to their benefit. Anyone can buy those papers to prove their position when convenient. It’s unfortunate that some people feel the need to give the service animal system a bad name by abusing it for their own gain no matter what the consequences or who gets in their way.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ballston Spa, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I were seeking a weekend away in the Finger Lakes region. We hadn't been away in quite a while and wanted something really special. Boy, did we get it!

Directions to Bella Rose were easy to follow (we were coming from the Albany area). Even though it isn't quite spring yet, the exterior of the property was well maintained and charming. Chris and Renee greeted us at the door and were the most welcoming hosts. Immediately to the right of the front entrance is a newspaper article telling a bit about Bella Rose and it's near 10 year renovation journey to becoming a Bed and Breakfast. You can tell much thought was given to every detail of the building, right down to the etched designs in the door hinges.

There is gentle classical music playing throughout the sitting rooms, books and magazines to read, a fireplace to enjoy and a mini-fridge stocked with water and various soft drinks. There is also a DVD collection that would appeal to a wide audience. Had our stay been longer, I'd have taken advantage of the sitting rooms more.

Chris and Renee made sure we were comfortable and would be comfortable throughout our stay, making sure we had cookies to take to our room each night and leaving a keurig out for me so I could enjoy my nightly cup of tea. :) They also helped ensure we knew our way around town and other areas we would be visiting during the day by printing out directions for us and checking on the open/close status of various locations. They also offered to make any reservations we might need and since our weekend plans were fairly open, they gave us many good suggestions.

Bella Rose has 3 rooms. We were the only ones staying this weekend so we got a good tour of the building. All rooms are very charming. We stayed in the Anne Eliza suite, their largest room with a deck, fireplace, jacuzzi tub, and separate shower. There is also a heated towel bar, gorgeous robes and slippers to truly feel pampered. I fell in love with this room and, also, with the charming key that had an engraved fob with it. Just perfect. I can't remember the last time I slept so well. I also appreciated the tiny, sufficient night light by the door.

Our first morning, we were treated to the most wonderful breakfast. I had no worries about being served anything I am allergic to, as they made sure of those preferences before we even made the trip. Breakfast at Bella Rose is phenomenal! Each breakfast is 3 courses and a different menu each day. That morning, we had homemade cherry almond muffins, a poached pear with vanilla yogurt and, for our third course, eggs benedict (I had yummy dreams about these later that night). We were also served water, juice and coffee and they made sure to keep the coffee coming! :)

We enjoyed some time on the deck outside our room, which overlooks Main St. You can see a few historic buildings from the deck and really appreciate how clean the town is.

Our next heavenly breakfast consisted of homemade blueberry scones, pineapple with raspberry sauce (the pineapple was still on the skin and cut into cubes. Very interesting and pleasant way to eat this fruit!), and carrotcake pancakes with maple cream sauce and sausage links. Just Divine!

Before we left, I made sure to fill out an entry in the journal that is left on one of the nightstands. In this journal, you will find entries from previous guests and you will not find one complaint amongst them.

You won't be disappointed staying at Bella Rose...and you will look forward to returning someday :)

Room Tip: The Ann Eliza suite is an excellent room for couples seeking a romantic getaway, or if you want to f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Canandaigua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Where to start with this beautiful Inn and its fantastic innkeepers?!? Everything about this Inn from Chris's beautiful craftsmanship and Renee's decorating and appointments to the wonderful breakfasts is outstanding.
This is a 10. A real treat for your snooze meter, your tired eyes and your tummy.
Don't pass up this one!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Bella Rose for our anniversary in October of 2012. Having never stayed at a B&B we were a little reluctant. Upon arrival, any doubts he two of us had were immediately gone. Renee and Chris went above and beyond to make sure we felt at home for our entire stay. They gave us excellent dinner recommendations, booked a top notch wine tour for us and then there was breakfast. I could fill this entire review just describing how mouth watering breakfast was. Without a doubt, my wife and I will be staying with them again!

• Stayed October 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at the Bella Rose, on our way to niagara falls. Renee and Chris were the perfect hosts, the house was beautiful and the breakfasts were first class, We had to take a couple of the muffins with us as they where so tasty. You could not get a more friendly welcome and full of useful advice of where to go.
Would love to visit again.
Lesley and Ray. London.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank green853book
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

With the recommendation of our son and daughter-in-law (who stayed at the Bella Rose in the spring,) my husband and I celebrated our anniversary with a four-night stay. Our stay began with a warm and friendly welcome from Renee and Chris who provided information and ideas for entertainment, food, wine-tastings and relaxation. Things just got better and better as we enjoyed the beauty and comfort of our room (and porch) and the truly amazing breakfasts. Each breakfast was a dining experience that tantalized each of the senses from the beautiful table settings to the multi-course culinary creations. The location was also ideal as we were within walking distance of the main part of town and various restaurants for our dinner options (which Chris and Renee recommended and took care of making the reservations). Our time away at the Bella Rose was a true escape and one that we would gladly repeat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Parlin, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

My fiancé and I couldn't be happier with our stay at Bella Rose. The home was beautiful, especially Anna Eliza's suite. The breakfast included homemade blackberry jam and scones, fresh pineapple, and succulent eggs benedict on homemade English Muffin bread. Renee and Chris gave us detailed directions to our points of interest and took the time to make our stay perfect. We can't say enough praise about the Bella Rose!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple