“Shame, becausethe food was cooked well”
Review of Schooners Restaurant - CLOSED

Schooners Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Horrible looking dessert tray upon entry, dated decor, dirty carpet although other areas clean. The service was ok and the food was actually cooked well but I think the haddock I ate was a thirty year old recepie. Portions were too large and the atmosphere comfortable for the retired crowd. It was a shame because it could easily been so much better. A tired nautical theme.

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Went here for dinner, upon entry it's more upscale and stuffy then the exterior would indicate. The customer base is...um..up there. Those under 60 will feel very out of place. Food was ok, if not a tad expensive. Service was slow and everything is very dated.

2  Thank Adam D
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We have been to Schooners many times, but have not been there since March 2014. I took my 18 year old to dinner this Sunday. Even she said it was a horrible experience. I don't think they can stay in business with the way it is going at the moment.
First: no hostess, one of the waitresses seated us. No one came back for at least 10 minutes. The first waitress came back and said some one else would be our waitress. We asked if she could at least put in an appetizer order for us. She did that. Our "real" waitress came a bit after we ordered the appetizer to take our order. They were out of calamari, out of one of 3 pasta choices. We were directed to help ourselves to the new salad bar. That was really a salad cart. It was right next to a table that two people were having dinner at and the poor man sitting with his back to the cart was actually right up against it. We had to be careful not to bump him in the head. The only lettuce on the salad cart would have to had to have been scrapped off the bottom of the container. Not one waitress came to help. Eventually some one got their attention and it took some time to have it filled.
Next, the waitress disappeared for quite some time. When she came with our dinner (we had already asked a different one for more water and she picked up our salad plates and left them on the table next to us.) my dinner was wrong so I had to wait while my daughter ate until my food came. THEN it was too salty, but the waitress never came back to check on us so I scrapped off what I could. Oh, and there weren't even half the tables full, so it wasn't as if they were busy. The other people close to us sent their food back too. The waitress forgot to get our bill when we asked. When we finally left, we could see dirty dishes all around the restaurant that the waitresses had left instead of taking them to the kitchen.

And one other thing, no music, no sound, silent!

Needless to say, NEVER EVER AGAIN!!! Do not waste your time. So sad.

2  Thank Robin D
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stopped in at Schooners before a concert on 6/21/14. From the outside it doesn't look like much,I thought it was a bar type restaurant. It is casual. The menu has lots of fish entree's and Mahi Mahi was one of the specials which is what my husband ordered. He said it was delicious, and the fact that it was under $18 was incredible. I ordered the 8oz lobster tail. I can't remember the last time I saw a tail on the menu for under $30 unless it was 2 petite 4oz tails which by the time they are cooked are like petite shrimp. It was cooked perfectly. Another at our table had the beer fish fry which was good and a great portion, and the last person at our table got the Chicken parm. All entrees came with a soup or salad and vegetable or starch. They also served fresh warm bread. The server was busy, but our food was served promptly and hot by what appeared to be a manager. Also they must have the cheapest drinks in town. I don't care if it's well or not, to get a $4 scotch and water at a sit down restaurant is unheard of. This restaurant appears to be old school, and we loved it. Absolutely can't wait, and WILL go back.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

If your definition of brunch includes barely reheated leftovers paired with cold eggs, you're in luck.
Gray, fatty prime rib swimming in a pool of greasy broth, unidentifiable fish/ chicken pieces in some sort of sauce, cold hard roasted potatoes, overcooked flat slabs of scrambled eggs full of small black chunks of something that never got cleaned out of the pan- spectacularly bad.
Bacon and coffee were good and gave me something not to be afraid to eat.

1  Thank jilliam3224