“Romantic Getaway Weekend”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Canandaigua
Ithaca NY
“Romantic Getaway Weekend”
Reviewed November 7, 2005

I have stayed at the Bristol Harbour Resport twice in the past two years and have enjoyed it each time. We have picked a quiet off-season mid-winter weekend getaway package. It's quiet and rustically luxurious. The rooms are delightfully furnished in Adirondack log furniture with heated bathroom tile floors. It is spotlessly clean. A gas-log fireplace faces the super-comfortable bed. It's a short stroll to the lodge/restaurant for meals or you can drive 10 minutes into Canandaigua. The lodge is post-and-beam Adironack rustic style with deer antler chandliers and a view to Canandaigua Lake below that is incomparable. In summer, there is a golf course on the property and a private beach on the lake a short drive down the hill. In winter, the pro shop rents cross-country skiis. I highly recommend the winter visit as a quiet, romantic, and charming getaway.

5 Thank GWMX5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Brandywine Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 7, 2005

Front desk help was not much interested in making us feel welcome.

The view of the lake from the room is lovely, but definitely distant. The deck off the room is one big long porch across all rooms -- no sense of privacy whatsoever when you're sitting out. And you will eavesdrop on conversations from rooms with open windows whether you want to or not.

The room is a nice size, but furnished in kitschy "adirondack" style -- lots of bears, pine cones, fir trees. (But this is NOT the Adirondacks, it's the Finger Lakes, where there just aren't many bears, pines, or firs.) Knotty pine walls made everything feel very dark, and there weren't enough lamps to change that significantly. The air conditioner wall unit was very noisy.

Even though I suspect most of the room had been refurbished recently (the one chair was GREAT -- ultrasuede and comfy!), the whole place just felt shabby.

Worst of all, there was no phone service for the 18 hours we were there. As soon as we arrived, I called the front desk to inquire (on my cell). The clerk said, with much giggling and no concern, that oh, yeah, she thought they'd been having a problem with the phones for a day or two! So much for being able to access Internet info I'd bookmarked for our visit to Canandaigua Lake.

My recommendation: unless you NEED to be on Canandaigua Lake, skip it entirely on your visit to the Finger Lakes. Keuka Lake is much more beautiful, and most of the really outstanding wineries seem to be on that lake. Seneca Lake is also more scenic than Candadaigua Lake.

Even if you're not in the area for the wine trails, skip Bristol Harbour. It's simply not worth the price unless you want to revive some '50s memories of Catskill/Poconos/Adirondacks lodges.

• Stayed July 2005
11 Thank wythany
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 30, 2005

3 couples attended the Joey & Marias comedy dinner at Bristol Harbour
21 Jan and it was excellent, We paid one price for dinner, tickets
to the show and overnight at the awesome Inn w/heated bathroom floors...and the view was awesome overlooking the lake...
They have other events the staff mentioned to us in the winter, winemaker dinners and more theatre thru April and we are planning to go back...A great diversion in the winter...service and food was excellent...

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Camillus, New York
Reviewed January 10, 2005

My husband and I spent last Saturday night at the Hotel. The view of the Lake is beautiful, our room was lovely, the fireplace and bottle of wine were perfect for a get-away. We were also very pleased with the meals in the restaurant. I would highly recommend the hotel and restaurant.

5 Thank FourUpstate
Corning, NY
Reviewed September 23, 2004

I had my wedding reception at Bristol Harbour and it was the most wonderful time ever. The rooms were incredibly comfortable, really the beds were the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in. No joke. The rooms all have their own fireplace, very romantic; and all rooms have the most spectacular view of Canandaigua Lake you could ever imagine. It looks like someone pulled down a scenery scape from the ceiling, it's so perfect.

The food was amazing. Making dinners for all 120 of my guests at the same time could not have been easy but, it was the best meal many had had at a wedding. I recieved many astonished compliments about how great the food was.

The best part of my reception was after. Following the reception, we had a bonfire. It was just wonderful to sit around a fire with my closest family and friends, my husband and our drinks for great conversation, good company and the ability to reflect on the best day of my life in the best setting with the best people.

The next morning, many guests went golfing and everyone who went golfing said that they wished they could stay longer and golf more. I haven't golfed myself but, they said the course was fairly challenging and a lot of fun to play.

Thank you Bristol Harbour for a wonderful time, great service and awesome amenities.

6 Thank Poopy_au
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 14, 2004

While touring several exceptional wineries in the area we based our self at the Lodge in Bristol Harbour. A fantastic get-away with a natural beauty that only mother nature could have made. Excellent food and service in a real life Adirondack Lodge and Resturant. Everyone that has seen our photos was amazed that this was in NY. A great secret that is worth sharing.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed October 5, 2003

We have stayed at Bristol Harbour several times. We always enjoy it.
It's a golf resort, but I don't play at all! I go for the beautiful, peaceful, quiet setting. The rooms have a long shared balcony that looks out on the lake, and at night it's so nice to sit outside and breathe in the fresh air. The rooms have a woodsy theme, the headboard and footboards of the beds are made from slender tree branches that are polyurethaned! The bedspreads are cozy and red (with bears on them, I think.) The bathroom has a heated floor. The restaurant is fine-- try the bristol harbor salad. There is a swimming pool and hot tub. The hot tub was being filled the day we left. Even if you don't play golf....
try it out if you need some quiet peaceful time away from work!

10 Thank nursie21