“All the hype is true!”
Review of Miami Resort Motel

Miami Resort Motel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Canandaigua
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I am from the Fingerlakes area and rent a jacuzzi room 2-3 times a year to pamper myself. I saw all the reviews here, the pictures of the retro rooms, and thought...I will find out for myself. I know what this place used to be like! I stayed in the King jacuzzi bungalow. I was impressed. I was shown to my room. Ice was brought to my door. The room was very clean and the decore is just fun! The bed was huge and so comfortable. The jacuzzi area is the best I have found in the area. They supply plenty of towels in the jacuzzi area, and even a wine rack if you chose to use it! The television turns so you can watch from the bed or the jacuzzi. I had said I was going to stay in the room until I left so they set me up with coffee, fruit and biscotti for morning. Not just one cup each....you can make a few pots! If you are looking for something to ding them on...ummmm...there is a few cracks and chips in the tiles in the bathroom. Did I mention the '60's pink tile in the bathroom? It is so 1965...gotta love it! I have never gone back to the same hotel/motel for a get away stay...I will be going back here!

Room Tip: spend the extra few dollars for the jacuzzi rooms ...well worth it!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank PamperMeplz

Reviewed February 8, 2012

I've been a trip advisor nut for awhile now, but had no interest in submitting reviews. Now that MANY reviews have helped my travels its time to give back.
This is one property I am very reluctant to review since it is small and due to my first experience with Miami Motel, it sells out FAST. I consider this place a good secret to keep, but the secret is out (its been #1 in Canadaigua since our travels... may as well confirm the other rave reviews). SO, without all the repetition I would like to confirm all the good-great reviews. The only 'helpful' thing I can add is a heads up on the breakfast spread. It has all the continental breaky staples (for our stay it was mostly Wegman's bakery purchased items). For the price you can't complain! Other coffee and eatery options are a very short drive away.
We've already booked our second visit months ahead! Very few places I stay at are worthy of being referred to our friends & family, but Miami Motel has earned its koodos in our books.
We love the Finger Lakes region and visited a few times last year. Our favorite story of the Miami Motel: we stayed in another small town in the region and we mentioned to our hosts that our accommodations for the previous stay was at the Miami Motel. Well! The repulsive look on their faces were hilarious. Keep in mind one of the people we were speaking to is originally from the area and 'knew of' the Motel when it wasn't under the current owners. We had A LOT of convincing to do that it was no longer the place he remembered it to be. We would've stayed at the Miami again, but we were touring around a couple different lakes & checking out wineries on the second trip. Other trips to the region did not include Canandaigua so unfortunately we haven't been back yet, but look forward to our trip this summer!
We are excited to return again and again AND anxiously await the day the exterior gets its makeover (so all the people with repulsive looks or holding on the reputation of old can pick up their jaws).
Now that the secret is out just be sure not to book on my desired travel dates ;)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ReganLaney
Reviewed January 11, 2012

What can I add to what's already been said? The owners have created an affordable, convenient, and refreshing oasis in a desert of franchised commercial chaintels. Don't be mislead by the exterior appearance. Dennis and Val are doing it right by first totally renovating retro-chic rooms reminiscent of the late 50s. It's Americana and Rte 66 conjoined with Internet access and a whirlpool tub. I've stayed there twice. The Queen Jacuzzi room was simply delightful. Very comfortable and spotless. And if you care to really treat yourself, stay in one of the detached "bungalows" - whimsical, eclectic, stylish, and utterly charming. Ya' gotta' see it to appreciate it and you'll be glad you did.

Room Tip: Summer Warning: Either BOOK EARLY, or hope for a cancellation.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bgbama
Reviewed November 15, 2011

The classic neon sign out front lets you know your not at some chain hotel. This is a mom and pop place that is very welcoming and friendly. The owner showed us to our rooms and he was very proud to tell us about the work he did to update the rooms. Our bathroom was beautiful. He did a great job on the tile. The tub was huge and the shower head was very high for all you tall folks. The sink was stainless steel and the granite counter top tied it all together. The rooms had a mini fridge, a microwave and a coffee maker. The beds were comfortable and made up well. The only thing I would change is the curtains. There were a dark sheer drape and let the light in from the parking lot. Breakfast was included: fresh fruit, bagels, doughnuts, biscotti and coffee. It was very good. We will be back again.

Room Tip: The double rooms have beds in two rooms with a door for privacy if traveling with two or more people...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MrsKnowitall
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My wife booked a room here based on the reviews and on the fact that they will take well-behaved dogs. I'm glad were were warned that the exterior wasn't yet updated. Don't let the view from the outside scare you off! The bungalow we rented was beautiful and spotless, with a carport right outside the door. The fridge had a real freezer. The bed was very comfortable. The best part, as others have said, is that you get to deal with the owners themselves. We never met the husband, but the wife treated us all like royalty, even the dog -- she went out of her way to point out the hiking paths we could take into the back property to exercise the pooch. Couldn't possibly have been nicer or more helpful. I will definitely stay here again if I come back to the area.

Room Tip: The bungalows have carports
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We visited our son in college in Rochester and wanted to stay in the Finger Lakes area. After reading about the Miami Motel on this site, we made reservations and my son made a quick 40 minute ride to check it out. He sent us a video of one of the rooms the owners graciously opened for his inspection. We were sold based on his video and other readers' reviews.

You really can't judge a book by its cover. The rooms are comfortable, decorated well and extremely clean. The outside is a work in progress but don't let that deter you if you have any doubts.

I would recommend this motel in a heartbeat. Great hosts, great rooms and great value. It was a breath of fresh air not to stay in a "cookie cutter" motel/hotel. It will be part of the trip we'll always remember!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Missourimanatee
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Booked as part of our New England Economy Tour on the basis of reviews. It was just as I expected, clean older property at a good price. I really like the renovations and decorating the owners have done. A pleasant atmosphere and good bed. Owner escorted us to the room and I could sense her pride as she showed us in. I liked it better than my wife, but she was not unhappy.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canandaigua
The Inn on the Lake
Best Western Plus Vineyard Inn & Suites
Super 8 Canandaigua
Super 8 Canandaigua
#4 of 12 in Canandaigua

Been to Miami Resort Motel? Share your experiences!