“Burger and beer by the frozen lake”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Backwater Grille

Backwater Grille
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Canaan
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our restaurant sits along beautiful Queechy Lake, you can enjoy a refreshing cocktail or craft beer from our extensive selection and a delicious lunch or dinner entree while dinning on our docks. Our cozy tavern and quaint dinning room is always welcoming and during cooler months we always have our fireplaces glowing! On weekends we offer live music in our tavern.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Burger and beer by the frozen lake”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stopped in one night for dinner and sat at the bar. Lots of friendly locals. Had a great burger and some local beer. Must be nice in the summer as they have tables outside on a deck. There is a good size dining room also. Parking seems to be an issue

Visited December 2013

Worcester, MA
“Great Place, Worth Stopping For!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was our second of many to come visits, our first visit was during Labor Day weekend and we were so impressed that we stopped for lunch on our way to our second home in the Catskill Mountains. Both times we were seated promptly and our server came over and introduced herself to us. On both visits our food had good presentation, temp. was perfect and our selections tasted great. Everything from our salads on up was fresh, prepared the way we the customer had ordered and was plenty. On this last visit I noticed on the menu they had eggplant fries, something I had never had so I ordered them with my burger. Our server said that since my burger came with fries she would upgrade me to the eggplant fries. Wow is all I can say, they were not greasy and tasted great, I would of gotten another order of them if my wife had not been with me. Atmosphere, nice, we actually could hold a conversation and hear each other, as far as being clean, table ware was fine, I did not notice anything amiss on the floor and I did observe tables being cleared and reset soon afterward the occupants had departed. The restroom was clean on both visits. About the only slight negative I could say is parking on both sides of the restaurant, next time I will back into a space. Pulling out can be an issue as some cars come whipping by just when it looks clear to back out of the space. Guess folks are in a hurry to get to the stop sign down the road. I only wish I had learned of this place earlier as we frequently travel the mass & ny pike to the Catskills, and this is a 5 or so minute drive off exit B? and ny rt-22.

• Visited October 2013
South Padre Island, Texas
“Laid back place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stopped by here for lunch just to relax on the lake. It's just that relaxing. Most people come here to drink as well so the atmosphere is mellow and friendly. You can sit outside at picnic tables right on the lake with drinks or food or eat inside in a rustic atmosphere that is complete with nostalgic memorabilia. I love antiques so, this was a nice look around. Service was friendly and attentive. Food was good to above average for some selections. I tried the cuban panini which was the special of the day. While is a good I was surprised it was not something more. The burgers are also very good and you can have them anyway you like. The specialty sandwiches are very good and they also have quesadillas. Try it for lunch, stay and have a cocktail and just enjoy some time in this location. Watch the kayaks go by or take out a pontoon boat nearby. Even if you are not on vacation, you will feel relaxed.

• Visited October 2013
Middlebury, Connecticut
“A pleasant lunch on the lake”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I had lunch here last week and were happily surprised. We had eaten here a couple of years ago (once for lunch and another time, dinner) and decided not to go back. However, armed with a $10 Restaurant.com coupon and a desire to lunch al fresco, on an absolutely beautiful day, we headed to the Backwater Grille for some basic grub.
The setting, on the little lake was perfect. The beers ice cold and only $3 a pint. We had hot wings and the French Dip sandwich. The wings were plump and perfectly done and the spice was very good. The French Dip was by far the best we've ever had. The Roast Beef was perfectly done, rare and tender and delicious. We substituted Onion Rings instead of fries and they were a great compliment to the sandwich. They split the sandwich for us and it was plentiful for the two of us (especially, as we had each had two of the ten wing serving as an appetizer).
The waitress was very pleasant and we also met the owner who was also very attentive.
We'll be back - I'm looking forward to a bowl of chili while enjoying the autumn-colored trees reflecting on the lake.

• Visited September 2013
Henderson, Nevada
“.. a pleasant little surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Had not been to the restaurant for quite some time (let's not say why), but now under new ownership, when some friends asked to go for lunch, we figured we'd give it a go. Location has never been an issue, right on the lake, most all tables have a very good view. And the food is good, above average good, and reasonably priced, with service that is friendly and efficient. It's a welcome addition to the very small grouping of Canaan eateries.

• Visited September 2013