“The "Bog Burgers" are well above average!”
Review of Foggy Notions

Foggy Notions
Ranked #5 of 13 Restaurants in Cambridge
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I'd been hearing about the locally famous "Bog Burger" for the past year. My mouth has been craving to taste this "delicacy" but I was not about to drive an hour just for that purpose. Finally, an excuse presented itself - a rendezvous point for lunch with two other fellow retirees.

Just a few hundred feet east of NY route 22, on East Main Street is what appears from the outside to be an unlikely stopover for anyone passing through Cambridge. Surely, a local watering hole or maybe a motorcycle gang's destination directly across the street from Rite Aid. Upon entering, the handful of locals sitting at the bar all turned to see who entered, then went back to their conversations and beverages. I looked to see if either of my friends had arrived yet and saw only one other table occupied with two more customers. As I proceeded to seat myself at one of the more spacious four-tops, I paused to read an easel supported chalk board displaying the day's specials. There I saw a "Bog Burger" with mushrooms and Swiss cheese, including fries, for $7.50. I'd have to see what other options were available on the menu, but this was likely to be my choice.

A waitress promptly approached my table to see if I wanted something to drink. The back of the menu listed maybe four or five common American beers and a Sam Adams. My Sam was, to my surprise, actually served in a Sam Adams glass. While I waited for my friends, I noticed there were a couple of dart boards, a pool table, a big-mother wood stove keeping the whole place comfortably warm, some kind of interactive game machine that kept showing virtual golf efforts, an ATM (they only take CASH), and numerous sport teams, beer advertisements, and other paraphernalia adorning the diagonally wood paneled walls.

Once all of our party was present, we each ordered a different variation of the Bog Burger. It should be noted that these burgers come in two sizes: 8 oz. for $5 and 12 oz. for $6. The beef is Certified Angus, and I hear tell that it is a special blend from a nearby market in Shushan. The burgers are served on a fresh roll with lettuce, tomato, or onion, and a side of potato chips; fries are an additional $2, and $3 will get you curly fries, sweet potato fries, or beer battered o-rings; add cheese or bacon for another $.75 each.

The three burgers we ordered were requested to be cooked medium-rare, medium, and medium-well. Each of us was very pleased with how our respective burger was properly cooked, a sign of an experienced kitchen. The beef itself was full of flavor and moist with a good amount of char flavor also.

The relatively brief menu also includes appetizers (soups, nachos, wings, and typical pub classics), salads, sandwiches, wraps, and a couple of NY Strip Steaks. Good value may be the key word here. Our bill for the three bog burgers with extras, two sodas and one beer was just under $30 including tax. If I have an opportunity to return, I don't know if I could stray from ordering another Bog Burger to see if the other food is as good.

1  Thank Roger K