“Absolutely Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cooperage Inn

Cooperage Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Calverton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Twomey Avenue
Description: The Cooperage Inn takes great pride in serving the freshest fish, meats and local produce available. Sauces are expertly prepared on premise by our chefs. The name "Cooperage Inn" comes from the craft of coopering, which goes back a few centuries, when it was the major method of packaging. We are located in the Long Island Wine region. Wine makers have always relied on the skills of the Village Cooper to store and age their wines.
Merrick, New York, USA
“Absolutely Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

The restaurant itself is fairly attractive and decorated in the manner of a real country place. However, once the meal started there was nothing special about it. The service was a little slow, and we waited for a long time before being served our salads. The salad had no flair, not much taste, and the dressing was simultaneously salty and tasteless. My main dish (stuffed shrimp) was also flavorless. The stuffing was on top of the somewhat small shrimp, and didn't seem to have been cooked sufficiently. It was not at all crisp, and was basically bread and bread crumbs. The french fries, were, however, crisp and hot. That was the best part of my meal. Even, my diet coke, seemed watered down and tasteless. The food reminded me of diner food, and seemed to have nothing interesting about it. However, all of us in our group( three couples) had a leisurely meal. I would not return.

1 Thank chai_13

Long Island
“An average meal at a restaurant with an identity crisis”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I heard great things about this restaurant and looked forward to enjoying dinner with my family at the Cooperage Inn.

We were greeted by the music from a live band playing outside. They sounded pretty good; playing a tune from the Eagles if I remember correctly.

Once inside the decor was fairly luxurious. A rich interior finish complete with wood wainscotting. The chairs were wood, complimented by a floral pattern and menus bearing a maroon cloth fringe. First impression was the restaurant had quite an elegant feeling.

Imagine my disappointment with the waitstaff emerged wearing golf shirts. It's not good when you are better dressed than your waitress. Certainly no disrespect to our waitress (who despite her shortcomings was a very nice individual), as the required uniform worn by all employees was a golf shirt bearing the name of the restaurant.

Looking further I note they have a biergarten, which apparently is where the music emanated from. Granted, although originally a German idea, you can find them throughout the world. You find them attached to a pub, not a high class restaurant.

After our drinks ran dry for 15 minutes, the eyes began to wander. Christmas lights? The more I looked, the less I could understand what they are going for with decor.

Overall my calculations yield a loss of at least $200 at the bar from our party of 10, simply because the waitress never checked on us.

After 90 minutes the entrees arrived (we did have appetizers and salad in the meantime). I took the opportunity to order another drink as I wasn't sure if we would see our waitress again.

The food was arguably good. Nothing spectacular, but the seafood did seem to be a hit with those who ordered it. The presentation was average. The portion size was huge.

Overall it was a confusing experience. The food was good, but nothing I couldn't find closer to my home.

If the management is reading, I have the following suggestions (they do have a suggestion box near the front door, but nothing to put in it):
-pick an identity. Do you want a pub, a classy restaurant or what? The woodwork is terrific, if you're going for high class your wait staff should be better dressed. Take a step back and look what you have added over the years. Christmas lights? A biergarten?
-the host or hostess should be at the hostess station. Customers should not be greeted by a nice foyer of nothingness. I never saw him in the dining area, so I don't know where else he could be.
-train your staff or put a genuine maitre d' in place to keep the waitstaff in check. They all look willing and capable to do a great job, but lack the training and leadership to accomplish it alone.
-cut your portion sizes. There is nobody that could eat your giant portions. You are throwing money (or food) away.

Good luck.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Fine Dining In LI Wine Country”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Good food, excellent service and wonderful country atmosphere. This restaurant is placed at the beginning of the North Fork LI winery trail a perfect start or ending to a great wine tasting adventure. The food is upscale and tasty, the wait staff attentive and responsive. I enjoyed a garden salad for an appetizer with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing. My main course was grilled pork chops with a mango sauce and mashed potatoes, the chops were tender and cooked well the mango sauce gave a sweet delicate flavor. My wife enjoyed the meatloaf dinner with mashed potatoes.and a Cesar salad. The overall meal was excellent, the atmosphere was superb and reflected a country wine estate. Although presenting a formal atmosphere...the other diners and ourselves wore casual attire reflecting a day in wine country. An overall wonderful experience

Wading River, New York
“TOP NOTCH”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Great food ,great professional service , great atmosphere ,what a nice change from those chain restaurants ! make reservations its a popular place

Sag Harbor, New York
“Delicious meal. Terrific atmosphere.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

A group of us recently enjoined a sensational meal, as always. For the first time, we sat outdoors near the fireplace. It was a great evening.

All loved the food. We had pasta, steak and seafood my baked clam appetizer was very tasty. Be sure to leave room for the s'mores dessert...enough for two.

Additional table lighting would be nice.

The food isn't cheap but it is a great value. We always end up taking some of our meal home.

Close to hotels and wineries.