“Food very good, though needs an interior makeover”
Review of Cinco De Mayo - CLOSED

Cinco De Mayo
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
NY
“Food very good, though needs an interior makeover”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We live down the road from Cinco De Mayo, and have wanted to try it for the past year. To be honest, it was the look of the outside of restaurant that was keeping us away.

We were pleasantly surprised. Our waiter was excellent, and described how the food was made, and from what region in Mexio the MOLE he serves comes from.

We all enjoyed our dinner.
What needs improvement is the decor. The walls are bare, and they have a huge poster hanging...it does not match the quality of the food!

I would recommend...this is not a typical fast food Mexican restaurant..it was very good!

Visited November 2013

NYC
“Bill total will creep up on you. Doesn't feel or taste expensive...”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

$4 sodas? No refills?

Ridiculously overpriced- food. The quality/ambiance doesn't justify even half of the price.
Two non-drinking adults and toddler totaled $95 including 20 percent tip. For the following: Shrimp tacos, bean soup, enchiladas, a small piece of chicken with mashed potatoes, two ice creams and a smoothie.

This is the first time in my life that I have ever scrutinized the itemized bill to make sure that there wasn't an error. It didn't feel like $50 worth of food, and far better food for the three of us could easily total $50. So where did it all go? Yes, the entrees were reasonably priced. It was the items that you normally wouldn't think to look at the price of in advance that killed us-

$4 sodas. Each adult had two sodas. $16 worth of sodas. We just bought their case.

$6 for two scoops of ice cream (ok, you may expect that from desserts).

My enchiladas were somewhere between crunchie and soft. I felt like they needed to commit to one of the other. One bit tasted like a taquito and the next like a burrito. The cheese was not melted and it was that flavorless queso blanco garbage. It literally looked like they stripped strips off of a Polly-O string cheese and placed it on top of three REALLY thin enchiladas. I ate an hour ago and I'm starving. The sauce was more of an Italian sauce than a Mexican sauce. Think Fra Diavolo rather than Mole or Tomatillo which I usually find on this type of dish. CAME WITH NOTHING. No rice, beans, nothing.

Can't comment on my wife's shrimp tacos other than to say that it didn't look like much food. Something I'd get from a skimpy food truck rather than something I'd eat at a restaurant.

Mango smoothie tasted like rice pudding with cinnamon. Not sure why, but it was good. Tasted nothing like mango.

Waitress was astounding. Put her in finishing school and she could serve at a real restaurant, but she's certainly not polished and it's kinda cute. She can juggle tables perfectly. Kind, sweet, helpful.

When you first walk in, the smell of the men's room urinal cakes hits you like a ton of bricks. I found myself wondering if I still smelled it from my seat. Some unfamiliar food smells made me wonder if that too was coming from the men's room. The ambiance is terrible. It's not "classy Mexican," it's "tacky Mexican." More like "Chewy" from Chelsea Lately than Selma Hayek. Mexican flags and Mexican colors all over the place. Ugh.

For $90 I would have proceeded to some of my favorite spots in Riverhead if I saw that price coming a mile away.

No kids menu, but accommodating nonetheless.

3 Thank WhosShemp
Carlisle, Massachusetts
“Surprised”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our waitress was fabulous, an enthusiastic young woman who was funny and real. The food a little less so, though my seafood stew was fabulous and my gristled shoe leather steak undeniably real. I've not had a worse steak I don't think ever. I'm not fussy, give the place three stars as they are probably trying and other reports I hear are decent. I told her the steak was 'not first world' - but maybe that's a first world problem.

3 Thank Paul D
Long Island City, New York
“They have there license to sell alchol”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were a party of four. We had a waitress that started four days ago and she was awesome!
This was our first visit and we will differently be back. I ordered a sangria and it was very good. My hubby and I spilt the chicken quesidla and I was surprised. There were 4 big slices of it. The chicken was very tasty and good. My entrée was skirt steak with fried bannanas and apple coleslaw with cactus sauce on the steak. I ordered medium rear and that what I received it was so good. My hubby ordered the beef tacos and he loved them. The other couple that dined with us ordered a shrimp dished that they loved. We differently will be coming back to this place.

1 Thank Dusti1960
Wading River
“The secret Cinco de Mayo”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Cinco de Mayo has the 'best' Mexican food I have ever had. The food is authentic - not Tex-Mex. The Fajita is 'to die for' and the service was superb. Unfortunately for the owner, people don't know about this place and his marketing is weak. Until they get the liqour license it is BYOB which makes it a total bargain.
This will be my 'go to' place when I don't feel like cooking.

• Visited June 2013