“We had a Blast”
Review of Splish Splash

Splish Splash
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Calverton
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted one of the Best Water Parks in America by the Travel Channel! Splish Splash, Long Island’s Water Park with its 96 exciting acres of fun, is the perfect choice for your next birthday party, family reunion, and group outing. Our variety of entertainment, excellent water safety staff, delicious food and outstanding service provides all the necessary elements for you to have a truly outstanding day. With attractions like Dr. Von Dark's Tunnel Of Terror, Kahuna Bay, and Pirate’s Cove for children, Splish Splash has something for everyone!
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We went to Splish SPlash and had a great Time. My Daughter is 7 years old and there were plenty of rides for her to go on. The park was crowded and we had fun but the lines took for ever. I like the park and it hdoes have great attractions but on the day we went the park was at capacity and there is nothing worse than waiting online an hour for a one minute thirty second ride. All in all it was a good day and I like the fact that we could picnic in the parking lot. There were tables and places to picnic but we laid a blanket down under a shade tree and just enjoyed the day. I'd recommend Splish Splash, but go early in the season, right when they open . The lines may be shorter.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

First off the $14 parking fee you have to pay us way too much for this already expensive water park. Staff members do seem apathetic there are about 6 things for children 5 and under to really do. All the other rides are too scary or dangerous. Bathrooms are so so in terms of cleanliness. Admission for toddlers is too much $29.99 considering there are only a handful of things for them to go on. Park is definitely better for older kids and adults. Won't be rushing back.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I did a lot of review reading before going to Splish Splash and it was worth it! I purchased the H2Go premium pass (if it won't hurt your budget, go for it, and don't forget to bring your ID! you reserve one ride at a time, it cuts your wait time, and you don't have to stand in line--we ate lunch, watched the bird show, rode other rides, etc. while waiting; I also liked the waterproof watch and timer they give you with the premium pass), went on a weekday, and arrived early! I used the LIRR package, as I don't have a car yet, which was nice with the discounts. I recommend buying a waterproof wallet (online, at the park it's too expensive!) so you don't have to run back to your locker if you crave a churro (I speak from experience) or want to take your picture with the parrot! :D Putting your money in a plastic baggie doesn't work--it still gets wet (still speaking from experience). Also, I recommend getting a pair of water/aqua shoes (again, online or at another store--at the park they're $20 and up). Bring some sunscreen. Though the park is pretty well shaded, there are a few very sunny areas. We only waited 5-10 minutes for food (had the chicken nuggets and fries, less expensive, and tasted pretty good--don't forget ketchup) and ate at 11:40 ish. After 1, whoa the place was crowded! But the H2Go premium pass really helped. What annoyed me was that some rides that claim to work with the premium pass don't have a separate line for pass holders (e.g. the lazy river--although it wasn't too bad a wait--the staff is great at making sure people get out after they've circled around once), the abyss--the pass works when getting your tube for the abyss, but not for the line for the ride itself). Go to the park's website, look at the ride descriptions (including weight limit) and ride the ones you think you'll like the most first, to beat the crowd. Also, if you're on the heavier side, I don't recommend riding alien invasion, because the more weight, the higher up the wall it goes, and the scarier it is. Plan and enjoy your trip, and don't go on rides that require knowing how to swim if you don't! :)

4  Thank nyc g
Reviewed August 23, 2013

PLEASE DON'T GO. After waiting over an hour in a line of cars simply to pull into the parking lot, we finally were able to pay the 14$ car fee. We searched 20 min for a spot and then had a nice ten min walk to the park entrance. Even though we had purchased our tickets online, the wait to get inside was very long. Finally inside, we paid our 13$ locker fee and walked to a ride. The park was overflowing with people and getting around was very difficult. My children and I got on line for one of the slides and waited for about 20 min and hadn't gone anywhere. I decided to get off the line and grab food for them (which rang up at about 50$ and took 15 min) I walked back to the line where my kids were waiting. An employee then informed me that I had gotten out of line and was not allowed back in. After searching around, it was clear that every single ride had a wait of an hour up. Heading over to the wave pool, we enjoyed our first ever pool line. that offers about 2 min of waves every hour. The pool was packed and you couldn't move without bumping shoulders with one of gross people that roamed the waters. The story goes on. Simply put, the place is a overcrowded dumb that charges insane prices. Avoid at all costs.

15  Thank schrisss
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was our second time here. I wanted to post a few things that might help when deciding whether or not to go and how to prepare and plan your day if going.
My daughters' altar server group from the church had planned a trip for this August Wednesday and it just so happened it was a hot sunny day after a week or so of rain and iffy weather. We knew it would be packed, but could not change the day. I decided to drive out and meet them with my 7 year old son and sister.
Gates open at 10, but they do start processing tickets earlier and letting you get to the lockers, so try to be in the lot by 9:30. I can't stress this enough. The best part of the day was from 10-12. They hold a rope to keep you from the rides until 10, but at least you can have everything done you need to do when that happens if you get there earlier.
Also: you will park very close to the gate and get a locker if early. People who arrive late take trams to their car. And a man on line at a ride later in the day said they ran our of lockers, so your car will be far away AND you will not get a locker. Not fun. The lockers outside the gate may still be available, but they are not all day lockers. He was mistakenly told this by a staff member and had to keep going out to put money throughout the day.

Lockers: they give you a key and it has a number. The large lockers hold about a small backpack, no more. The large ones are hardly large, maybe two backpacks .

When we arrived I sent my sons and sister on the first ride you see when you get in, and went to find chairs. This line will build like crazy later and is a good one to ride right away.

Chairs: we wanted a "home base" but did not want to pay for a cabana. I heard mixed things about them and the cost was not an option. I found a great chair spot! At the bottom of mammoth river there is sandy "beach" with lounges. I put towels on the backs of a few and put a duffel bag on one. I did not leave anything of value, the bag had only sunscreen and a large beach blanket, and the bag has my last name on it, as I was worried about security. This area is great, somewhat centrally located, near a bathroom, and right near a snack bar. By 2 Pm there were no chairs free.
Tip: bring an old towel or some paper towels. At 10 am the chairs were not only wet with dew, but not exactly clean. I would have like to wipe them off! The nearby bathroom does not have paper towel, only hand dryers. And the snack shack had no napkins!
Shoes: we had flip flops we left at the towels and went barefoot most of the day. You can keep shoes on and leave them in cubbies outside each ride. Some people wear aqua sox on rides. It's personal preference.

Food: you cannot bring anything into the park. Water is expensive, of course. I did not see water fountains. Luckily, most of the park is shaded so we didn't feel the 90 degree heat as much. The food is below most theme parks. Yes, it's pricey, unhealthy and mediocre. I didn't see a fruit anywhere. But the one main food area has all the expected stuff, and the tables do not fill up, no matter the time of day it seemed. We had planned on going to the car for lunch. You can get your hand stamped and return. But when we walked to the front gate around 12:30 and saw the lines we decided to eat lunch in the park and have our sandwiches for the ride home.

Waterproof important stuff: you can carry your key around and keep going back to the locker for your stuff, but a better tip: I bought a waterproof wallet on a lanyard a few years ago on amazon that holds some money, a credit card and my license. (It used to hold my blackberry but my iPhone is too big, time to shop for a new one) I strongly advise buying something like this before. They sell them at the shop, but the inexpensive one will not hold your iPhone or similar sized phone, and the large one that did was $45! There are two reasons it is a good idea: it easier than going back to the locker for money. A person on our church trip had a terrible experience that day. He lost his locker key in the wave pool. A person found it, went to his locker, and stole his phone and credit card. Imagine being stuck there without your debit card ( and cash if he had that in there as well it would have been gone) and phone? Get a lanyard.

The crowd: you need to be open minded. It is a diverse crowd. I have never seen so many tattoos, piercings and large people in way too sexy bathing suits. There were groups of teenagers/kids without parents. But I did not see the types of line cutting or bad behavior all day. People were pretty cool despite the hot weather and long lines later in the day.. Judge on behavior not looks and it is fine.

Security: the park needs to do a better job telling people about making theirlocker key secure. I think they need a new system. Having the number on the key is a security problem hotels got away from years ago. Maybe they could have keys without numbers and write the number of your arm in sharpie? If you lose your key it is at worst, a security nightmare if the wrong person finds it, and at best, a hassle getting the park to open your locker. A child in our church group lost hers in the lazy river. They did find it but getting back on line and having a few girls look for it, but what an annoyance! We cannot be the only people with this problem!

Closing: the time was 6 pm the night we went. We were going to the lockers about 5:45 and the park was still full and going strong. I think they close lines down at 6 (although the wave pool was closed by then) and allow anyone on the line to ride. That is a guess. But I can say that. With the amount of people in the park, that the locker area and changing area next to it would become a zoo once all those crowds started leaving. I would consider leaving at closing instead of getting in one more ride.

The park also needs to redo its locker areas. There is not enough space between the rows of lockers for the amount of people that crowd in throughout the day.

Bathrooms: the ones in the front of the park always seemed to have extremely long lines. We went first thing in the morning and they were old and not the cleanest already. But the ones near our chairs by the mammoth river exit (look like a log cabin) were a little better. They actually had an attendant who went in each bathroom after it was used to wipe down the seat. Great idea! Hope they pay her a lot of money!

Cleanliness: It was clean enough. Some places needed more cleaning up throughout the day, but it wasn't gross. They do need more garbage cans. Often we had to look around to find one. Many people apparently would stop looking and just drop their garbage. The park could help themselves by having more cans.

Staff: we never encountered ride stuff. Disinterested? Often. But a few we're friendly and we found that if we started talking they were often likely to be friendly. But it is clearly not something that is in their training or it would be more obvious. I did see guests being nasty to staff and the staff handling it well. (Dealing with the public is a tough job!)

Suggestions for the park: more food stands throughout the park, more clocks (forgot a waterproof watch and meeting up with others is tough without knowing the time), more bathrooms, water fountains, benches, more park maps on billboards because nobody wants to carry a paper map on water rides, clearer labeling of what a ride is, how many people am go on it, etc at the entrance before the lines, better directions/labels of where things are in the park, some healthy food such as fruit and salads (only saw one chicken salad wrap thing), better locker facilities and a solution to the locker key number issue.

Overall: it is a fun time, the rides are pretty cool (I know I didn't get into that but we had so much fun on many of the rides) and with some planning and a relaxed attitude you will have fun.

9  Thank sandyplayercarroll