“Some tips for your trip”
Review of Splish Splash

Splish Splash
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Calverton
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted one of the Best Water Parks in America by the Travel Channel! Splish Splash, Long Island’s Water Park with its 96 exciting acres of fun, is the perfect choice for your next birthday party, family reunion, and group outing. Our variety of entertainment, excellent water safety staff, delicious food and outstanding service provides all the necessary elements for you to have a truly outstanding day. With attractions like Dr. Von Dark's Tunnel Of Terror, Kahuna Bay, and Pirate’s Cove for children, Splish Splash has something for everyone!
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was our second time here. I wanted to post a few things that might help when deciding whether or not to go and how to prepare and plan your day if going.
My daughters' altar server group from the church had planned a trip for this August Wednesday and it just so happened it was a hot sunny day after a week or so of rain and iffy weather. We knew it would be packed, but could not change the day. I decided to drive out and meet them with my 7 year old son and sister.
Gates open at 10, but they do start processing tickets earlier and letting you get to the lockers, so try to be in the lot by 9:30. I can't stress this enough. The best part of the day was from 10-12. They hold a rope to keep you from the rides until 10, but at least you can have everything done you need to do when that happens if you get there earlier.
Also: you will park very close to the gate and get a locker if early. People who arrive late take trams to their car. And a man on line at a ride later in the day said they ran our of lockers, so your car will be far away AND you will not get a locker. Not fun. The lockers outside the gate may still be available, but they are not all day lockers. He was mistakenly told this by a staff member and had to keep going out to put money throughout the day.

Lockers: they give you a key and it has a number. The large lockers hold about a small backpack, no more. The large ones are hardly large, maybe two backpacks .

When we arrived I sent my sons and sister on the first ride you see when you get in, and went to find chairs. This line will build like crazy later and is a good one to ride right away.

Chairs: we wanted a "home base" but did not want to pay for a cabana. I heard mixed things about them and the cost was not an option. I found a great chair spot! At the bottom of mammoth river there is sandy "beach" with lounges. I put towels on the backs of a few and put a duffel bag on one. I did not leave anything of value, the bag had only sunscreen and a large beach blanket, and the bag has my last name on it, as I was worried about security. This area is great, somewhat centrally located, near a bathroom, and right near a snack bar. By 2 Pm there were no chairs free.
Tip: bring an old towel or some paper towels. At 10 am the chairs were not only wet with dew, but not exactly clean. I would have like to wipe them off! The nearby bathroom does not have paper towel, only hand dryers. And the snack shack had no napkins!
Shoes: we had flip flops we left at the towels and went barefoot most of the day. You can keep shoes on and leave them in cubbies outside each ride. Some people wear aqua sox on rides. It's personal preference.

Food: you cannot bring anything into the park. Water is expensive, of course. I did not see water fountains. Luckily, most of the park is shaded so we didn't feel the 90 degree heat as much. The food is below most theme parks. Yes, it's pricey, unhealthy and mediocre. I didn't see a fruit anywhere. But the one main food area has all the expected stuff, and the tables do not fill up, no matter the time of day it seemed. We had planned on going to the car for lunch. You can get your hand stamped and return. But when we walked to the front gate around 12:30 and saw the lines we decided to eat lunch in the park and have our sandwiches for the ride home.

Waterproof important stuff: you can carry your key around and keep going back to the locker for your stuff, but a better tip: I bought a waterproof wallet on a lanyard a few years ago on amazon that holds some money, a credit card and my license. (It used to hold my blackberry but my iPhone is too big, time to shop for a new one) I strongly advise buying something like this before. They sell them at the shop, but the inexpensive one will not hold your iPhone or similar sized phone, and the large one that did was $45! There are two reasons it is a good idea: it easier than going back to the locker for money. A person on our church trip had a terrible experience that day. He lost his locker key in the wave pool. A person found it, went to his locker, and stole his phone and credit card. Imagine being stuck there without your debit card ( and cash if he had that in there as well it would have been gone) and phone? Get a lanyard.

The crowd: you need to be open minded. It is a diverse crowd. I have never seen so many tattoos, piercings and large people in way too sexy bathing suits. There were groups of teenagers/kids without parents. But I did not see the types of line cutting or bad behavior all day. People were pretty cool despite the hot weather and long lines later in the day.. Judge on behavior not looks and it is fine.

Security: the park needs to do a better job telling people about making theirlocker key secure. I think they need a new system. Having the number on the key is a security problem hotels got away from years ago. Maybe they could have keys without numbers and write the number of your arm in sharpie? If you lose your key it is at worst, a security nightmare if the wrong person finds it, and at best, a hassle getting the park to open your locker. A child in our church group lost hers in the lazy river. They did find it but getting back on line and having a few girls look for it, but what an annoyance! We cannot be the only people with this problem!

Closing: the time was 6 pm the night we went. We were going to the lockers about 5:45 and the park was still full and going strong. I think they close lines down at 6 (although the wave pool was closed by then) and allow anyone on the line to ride. That is a guess. But I can say that. With the amount of people in the park, that the locker area and changing area next to it would become a zoo once all those crowds started leaving. I would consider leaving at closing instead of getting in one more ride.

The park also needs to redo its locker areas. There is not enough space between the rows of lockers for the amount of people that crowd in throughout the day.

Bathrooms: the ones in the front of the park always seemed to have extremely long lines. We went first thing in the morning and they were old and not the cleanest already. But the ones near our chairs by the mammoth river exit (look like a log cabin) were a little better. They actually had an attendant who went in each bathroom after it was used to wipe down the seat. Great idea! Hope they pay her a lot of money!

Cleanliness: It was clean enough. Some places needed more cleaning up throughout the day, but it wasn't gross. They do need more garbage cans. Often we had to look around to find one. Many people apparently would stop looking and just drop their garbage. The park could help themselves by having more cans.

Staff: we never encountered ride stuff. Disinterested? Often. But a few we're friendly and we found that if we started talking they were often likely to be friendly. But it is clearly not something that is in their training or it would be more obvious. I did see guests being nasty to staff and the staff handling it well. (Dealing with the public is a tough job!)

Suggestions for the park: more food stands throughout the park, more clocks (forgot a waterproof watch and meeting up with others is tough without knowing the time), more bathrooms, water fountains, benches, more park maps on billboards because nobody wants to carry a paper map on water rides, clearer labeling of what a ride is, how many people am go on it, etc at the entrance before the lines, better directions/labels of where things are in the park, some healthy food such as fruit and salads (only saw one chicken salad wrap thing), better locker facilities and a solution to the locker key number issue.

Overall: it is a fun time, the rides are pretty cool (I know I didn't get into that but we had so much fun on many of the rides) and with some planning and a relaxed attitude you will have fun.

9  Thank sandyplayercarroll
There are newer reviews for Splish Splash

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I've been at splish splash several years ago and had a pleasant time with my family. Unfortunately, today is probably the single most disappointing time our family have had in any water/theme park.
1. Overcrowding- the facility continue to allow patrons to go in despite the fact that the parking facility is already beyond capacity. This overcrowding is very noticeable inside the park. The lines for every attraction reach well beyond the allotted preformed loops.
2. Unprofessional staff
There is an air of apathy and disrespect toward the patrons consistently displayed by the food service staff and especially the very young female employee who appeared to be some sort of lifeguard supervisor. She addressedany patrons (including us) by the children's easing pool very disrespectfully. Instead of respectfully making the park patrons aware that its already 6pm and the park is closing; she derogatively yelled, "c'mon, pack up! Don't you know the park is closing!!!"
3. Poor organization
Even the parking attendants ( or lack thereof) ensure that our miserable day at this park is memorable to the level of needing psychotherapy. We have been stuck and still is stuck trying to exit the park for over AN HOUR! See pictures. Some patrons were so desperate to exit the facility (as no one was moving productively) they attempted to use the entrance pathway to exit.

I usually do not write negative reviews but this parks lack of proper crowd control to maximize profit borders on possibly compromising their patrons safety.

7  Thank StanJ-NY
SplishSplashWP, Director of Sales at Splish Splash, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

"We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your visit. This is certainly not our standard even on the busiest of days. We strive to truly give our guests the best Splish Splash has to offer. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to showcase what a great place Splish Splash is to visit with family and friends.

Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter very soon."

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is the worst thing I have ever heard. You are not allowed to bring baby formula or bottles with milk for a baby into the park. After speaking with someone in guest relations he states this park is for ages 2 and up thats why we don't allow milk or food into the park. This is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard and to say the park is for ages 2 and up is nuts. The only reason he stated that is because u have to pay for children that are 2. Never will I visit this water park EVER unless im going to starve my baby and thats not gonna happen

7  Thank Kee s

We do apologize that you were given the wrong information, we do allow baby food and formula into the park as long as they are in plastic containers We also provide palstic containers and plastic bottles at guest services.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Looking for some summer fun, our family decided to give Splish Splash a try. There were some negatives, but for the most part, the rides made up for them.
On the plus side, there was plenty to like. A wide variety of quality water rides (such as Bootlegger's Run, Alien Invasion, etc) made the expenses worth the investment. Some rides were too short, but they were enjoyable nonetheless. This, in addition to generally friendly and helpful staff members, made our ride experiences memorable.
As mentioned in many other reviews, overcrowding is a pretty big issue. Despite going early on a rainy and fairly cool Monday morning, lines were still surprisingly long. Luckily, we avoided this problem by purchasing premium H2Go passes, which, despite the hefty $45 price tag, are more than worth the investment. For example, we were able to get on Alien Invasion after only 20 minutes (a significant improvement over the normal wait). The passes are simple to use, and in my opinion, are a must-have if within your budget. One problem worth noting is the lack of separate H2Go lines for several rides. Some rides require you to literally cut to the front of the line with no prior indication before you can scan your wristbands to get on. It was annoying, but not the end of the world.
Our family was in agreement, however, that the biggest gripe with the park is the lack of organization. There were way too little maps and signs to show where particular rides were, often leaving us to wonder around lost with only our smaller maps. The confusing, unmarked pathways made the park a bit of a maze to navigate.
Still, despite the flaws, the park is worth the visit to have a blast on their great rides. The combination of online purchased tickets, a weekday visit, and premium H2Go passes will undoubtedly speed up and enhance your experience at this otherwise thrilling waterpark!

1  Thank Kyfer9A
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was at the Water Park on 7/20/13. I witnessed a horrific attack upon the staff at the front gate. The staff at the front gate was attempting to do their job by checking bags and informing customers of the park policy. There was a special needs camp in the line. Due to the excessive heat and very crowded conditions, the children began to act out inappropriately. The lines were long and the camp staff had difficulty with the children. Several of us allowed the camp to go ahead as things were getting out of control.
We witnessed one of the young girl campers run up to a staff member, kick him and pound on him. He backed away and asked her to stop. This young man did nothing and asked for help. She continued failing her arms and lunging towards this young man. We all commented and the staff became annoyed and finally confronted the situation. We then witnessed a staff member ask to speak to this young man. She began to berate him calling him a horrible human being. He looked so confused as she demanded to know his name and then kept repeating it over and over. It was very upsetting to the guests. We could not belive how this so called, "professional" was acting. This young man did nothing wrong! He tried to explain that he was trying to help but she would not hear anything he said. She continued saying, "Im going to get you fired! Your a low class, uneducated piece of ****!" I hope this woman is aware that the park has both audio and video devices.
I have a season pass and I am at Splish Splash during my days off. I have often relected upon 7/20/13 with sadness. I remember my first job and how difficult it was to deal with the public. People can be very difficult. I honestly felt bad for the front gate staff. They tried to make the best of a bad situation and nothing they did was good enough for this particular camp. On August 3rd I was once again at the park. I was so happy to see this young mans smiling face. I was glad to see that the supervisors must have seen the 7/20/13 incident on tape. Even though it was extremely busy, he took the time to patiently answer my questions. In my opinion, Gage is an asset to your organization. I have been coming to the park for many years and I have never encountered any issues. I believe Splish Spalsh does an excellant job in training these young men and women. Shame on the Camp Staff they had the perfect opportunity to teach the staff not to be afraid of individuals with special needs but instead they reinforced society fears in dealing with special needs children.

3  Thank macogn2961