Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Callicoon
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We had never been to the Catskills before, & we loved the fact that there was no humidity, being from the South.
We enjoyed Woodstock which was very close by. The resort facalities were good - bowling, bocci, spa & pool. However, the hotel food was not the best. We loved visiting the town of Callicoon, & the best food was at the "1906 Resturant". We had the best rack of lamb there. The cheese & wine shop there was great, as was the shop @ 39 Lower Main Street, The Delaware Furniture Co. They had neat gifts, not just furniture. It was a relaxing week.

Norma & Rolland Henderson

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 38swingabout
Write a ReviewReviews (1,051)

Reviewed September 20, 2010

Billed as a 5 star resort - more like Motel 8 and clientele is Jersey Shore meets Dirty Dancing - we were in the Timeshare section - severely needs updating and sound proofing - furniture must be 1980 original {including mattresses, linens & appliances w/ the exception of the flat screen TV in main room}, walls so thin you can hear someone walking/talking in the hall / next room - everything smelled of mothballs - had to keep windows open {two were broken and unable to open}.

Notified maintenance / housekeeping of broken dishwasher {glassware / plates in cabinet had food particles stuck to them}, broken windows, broken floor lamp, remote for bedroom TV wouldn't work {Phillips remote for Magnavox TV} - they never addressed, fixed or corrected the broken items.

On 3rd day, a gallon of water was left w/ a note saying the NYS Health Department found the well for timeshare building had unexceptable "levels" and we needed to use the water for cooking, drinking and washing. The next day, they said the problem was corrected and would no longer give us bottled water. Never an explanation - but one in our party had stomach issues the whole week. At that point we bought our own bottled water.

We ate in Main dining room only one night - food was awful, soup barely room temp, "salad" consisted of 2 grape tomatoes, 1/2 cup of lettuce and 5 pieces of shredded carrot, filet of sole was mushy {but the light lemon cream sauce was very good}, cannoli was soft. Wine was not opened at our table, nor was the cork brought w/ and when we requested the cork so we could take remaining wine w/ us - they said it had broke off when they opened the bottle {seems a bit strange that there was no cork remnants in the bottle} - unfortunately makes me wonder if they brought us our ordered bottle w/ a different wine substituted.

We tried the Garden Cafe for breakfast - staff was wonderful, but again the food was lacking - not fresh, but frozen and reheated.

For the rest of our stay we ate in the wonderful restaurants in Callicoon {absolutely fresh ingredients, cooked to order} or in our travels up and down the Delaware River Gap / Catskill Park.

We also tried the shop inside the Hotel - we were completely ignored by the sales clerk who was too busy gossiping w/ other staff/friends about how horrible all the guests were this past season - I did over hear her tell them that everything was 50% off - not just items on the 1/2 off rack, so when we went to purchase our items {after waiting 5 minutes at the counter for her to finally acknowledge us} I asked about the discount and was told the items we were buying did not qualify - we put them back and left.

This area of the country is absolutely beautiful w/ many hiking trails, waterfalls, historical areas - so we were able to enjoy our vacation and use Villa Roma as just a place to lay our heads.

I can see how Villa Roma would be a good choice for large extended families w/ small kids that only want to lay by a pool - but if you want an upscale resort w/ superb dining - this is not the place.

They do have a tram that does run consistently around the property, which is a very nice feature - but we were quite put off by his constant rambling of how little money he has made this season and asked for everyone to please tip at their stop. I could see tipping if we had bags or needed assistance in any way - but not for taking us a 1/4 mile up the hill - we chose to walk the grounds the rest of the time.

2  Thank chateaubell
Reviewed September 16, 2010

The worst hotel i have ever stayed at in my life, I refuse to refer to it as a resort because it is anything but. My colleague and I arrived and while we paid the same amount for the rooms, hers was a deluxe updated room and I was given directions to the lodge. The lodge is an unkempt annex to the hotel where they allow employees to sleep when working a double shift. The room has a sharpy to indicate the room number, broken door and window. Then I noticed a strong odor, housekeeping had not flushed the toilet from guests before me. I called the front desk and was told they are sold out, I could get air freshener. After walking to the hotel and complaining I was moved to a "timeshare" room. Again a smaller outdated room and then there were no amenities as shampoo as timeshares do not get shampoo. I offered the stay with my colleague and they agreed but said I would have to pay for her room extra guest and my two nights for my room. So I stayed in my timeshare....that is until it flooded the next morning. Then the very helpful manager kathyrn apologized for the rude mother and daughter team at the front desk the night before and shared there was a room that was decent in the hotel i could have had for both nights. I was moved to a still outdated but at least clean room. My company was completely ripped of for this experience. I wil never ever even think to attend a conference at this hotel again. I would be more satisfied at a motel 6.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank corningcple5318
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We just got back and i want to write an accurate review while it's still fresh. My first impression is "stayed" or old or tired. we stayed in a time share building and the hallways stank so badly. Most of the staff were teenagers, poorly trained for a service oriented job. One teenagers scooped buckets of water from the pond and threw it at us "in good fun" We never engaged him in a water war! I called the service desk 3x to ask about activities and never got the right answer. Thus, we went to the speedway, horses and other games only to find they were closed even though they just said they were open at the service desk. The indoor games area and night club was so tired. The gym was well maintained and the outdoor pool ok. But the worst was when a manager driving a golf cart was racing towards us and nearly ran over our jackets, phone and glasses in the ground. I yelled for him in panic to stop before he ran over the items. He actually gave me this mean look and yelled at me for yelling at him! He saw it he says and how dare i yell at him. HIs younger worker next to him was mortified at his boss. i realized then why the staff was not trained well. It comes from the top. Look elsewhere, no need to waste money and precious days on a mediocre place when there are other affordable nicer places nearby.

3  Thank stellaNJ
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Villa Roma is such a nice place for the whole family. It has everything you could want to have a enjoyable experience. The indoor pool came in handy when the weather was fair. The outdoor pool was great when the clouds cleared. The food was magnificent! The shows were entertaining, the camp for my kids was great and they loved it. The golf course is perfect. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. All the other things to do like the arcade and floor games for the kids, the sports (tennis, bowling), the go-karts...it goes on and on. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it. I plan on going back next year. Thanks Villa Roma!

2  Thank leeder290
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I love Villa Roma cause it has the best staff and the best people and also there is alot to do there

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank peatmossfan
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Timeshare manager --- Carol Ann was very accomodating in taking care of our needs (Excellent Customer Service)....

The lounge band was excellent.......

The poolside musical entertainment of the franklin experience was great.....

The Best food was the fresh chicken francese of marc in ronnies deli--- great food great taste great value...-- Absolutely delicious...BSOLUTELY DELICIOUS......

Also the housekepping staff was very friendly and attentive and there was even free daily room cleanup and bed making in the timeshare unit........

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank TRIPSALL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callicoon
Best Western Monticello
Best Western Monticello
#1 of 3 in Monticello
22 mi away
Ramada Rock Hill at Sullivan Center
19 mi away
The Lodge at Woodloch
Fosterdale Motor Lodge(Closest To Bethel Woods)
Schrute Farms
Kenoza Lake View Manor
Kenoza Lake View Manor
#1 of 1 in Kenoza Lake

Been to Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!