I love the movie Dirty Dancing and this resort seemed the closest I have seen to the resort in that film. Grand old main building and dining hall. Gorgeous scenery. Golf. Lots of city folk visiting for the week. But as in the film when the owner said the days have gone by and the kids all want to go to Europe now, I think he is right.
The resort is in a very isolated area. Lots of cute quaint villages nearby but very challenging rural hilly roads for driving. Went to Woodbury outlets and hat was great. Went on our own. Resort also offers day trips including one to NYC. $60
Tons of activities on the resort. The daily event listing talked about cruising on land and the list do activities were similar to a cruise ship with sports challenges, games, exercise, movies, entertainment, etc. Golf course is right there. Ski hill for winter. Big pool for summer but with the size of the resort I think it would be packed. Bowling, tennis courts etc on resort so lots to do.
What I did not like was the timeshare apartment. It was just ugly. Old kitchen. Mirrored closet doors in bedroom. Old tv. Tiny bathtub/shower. Ugly carpet. Ugly carpet. Ugly carpet. Very ugly carpet. Wire coat hangers - 7 total for a unit for six people? No laundry facilities in room. Tiny balcony but no deck chairs. I think we were in oLder unit - building 4 - which was close to main hall etc but I would have preferred to be further away and In a nice unit. My understanding is there are more renovated units or newer units... So why would we not have been placed thereof. I don't think the resort was full. Mathis is a huge resort but you could drive and also there is a shuttle and a large parking lot by the main sports centre. So the timeshare was a bust but the area and the other resort amenities brought the score up. Renovate those units. Get rid of ugly carpet old kitchen mirrored doors and tiny bathtub and buy some hangers. Plus get a nice tv.... Unit in bedroom was ancient
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center is proud to announce that we have just received the Fodor’s Choice 2010 Award. The Awards are given to the "best of the best," in hotel/resort destinations providing remarkable experiences in price range, destination, or category. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Roma Hotel Callicoon
- Hotel Roma
- Villa Roma Resort And Conference Center Callicoon, NY - Catskill Region